[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job title
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: a.jpg (55 KB, 312x185) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
55 KB, 312x185
I was wondering if job title even matters anymore.

I was working before as a software developer but acted as more of a lead developer.

Now I am at a startup and my title is "Project Manager", but I spend 50% of my time coding, 25% of my time helping other people fix their code and 25% of my time writing a formal business plan. Typically Project Managers don't code.

Should I ask for a new job title? I am getting paid more than is typical for either position (lead developer or project manager), so I don't know if that is considered rocking the boat with no benefit. I've only been out of undergrad for a few years.
>>
Job title is worthless. I'm gonna let you finish but real quick I just wanted to say what pissed me off these recruiters with "Recruiting Executive" or "Personnel Director" as their titles on LinkedIn. Fuckers have like 1 year experience out of High School! Not even university what the fuck. Nigger you ain't a director and you ain't an Executive of shit.
>>
Damn, as long as you aren't playing yourself up, your repertoire of tasks and responsibilities speak for themselves. If you aren't happy with your title, there are slightly different accolades you can go with. I'm a "Power Engineer" and even though the job has been around since the colonies decided to issue tickets for the firing of sea-coals for early high pressure boilers hundreds of years ago, my field of work becomes more obscured by modern types of engineers with each passing century.
I alternate between telling people my schooling is for a stationary engineer, a steam engineer, a thermal plant worker, power plant worker, operator, building operative etc.
But the thing that pisses me off is that I notice the worst workers try to give them self the most important title. The rookie level power engineer 5th class is basically a HVAC/boiler tech but will sometimes do work like changing lightbulbs if they have nothing else to do. This one girl who was a 5th kept knocking on people's doors and instead of saying "hello, maintenance" she would knock on the door and say "Engineering!!! XD" most confusing shit for others and annoyed the fuck out of me.
To give you an idea a 5th class might make 40-60k per year and work in a high-rise building, wheras 4th through 1st can crack 90-300k per year as a fucking power plant or refinery cheif engineer, so you can see why this woman bothers me. Guess job title doesn't matter so much since so many people modify their title to explain their position as THEY see fit. Multiply that by people going to "manager school" and you see we have a problem.
>>
Similar deal, op. I'm a project manager who budgets, manages a team of developers in India, develops code in house, hires, trains. On top of scoping and managin projects end to end. It's a shit show at my job.
>>
>>1232648
>Now I am at a startup and my title is "Project Manager", but I spend 50% of my time coding, 25% of my time helping other people fix their code and 25% of my time writing a formal business plan. Typically Project Managers don't code.
are you me?
>>
>>1232648

try to get "team lead - engineering", but yeah, the PMs at my previous company were girls with marketing degrees and a PMP who weren't technical for shit, they just kept the project on schedule
>>
>>1232648
>startup

this is why your job title doesn't mean anything. Your boss tells you what to do & you do it.

At a big company, your job title means something because HR puts rules around what your boss can & can't tell you what to do (based on your job title), your access to company resources is limited (based on your job title), and what your boss can & can't give you in terms of financial or equity compensation is dictated (again, by your job title).

If you're a "project manager" for a startup, but do more than facilitate meetings, then just list the job title you feel would be most accurate to your role within the company; nobody's going to argue with you so long as you get shit done.
>>
If you had a Fancy sounding title and your resume reveals that your skillsets are actually weak as shit, I'll immediately toss out the candidate.

Pretentious workers are the type who worry more about covering their ass than getting the actual job done.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.