[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here has actually implemented an automated trading algorithm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 516121.png (16 KB, 352x400) Image search: [Google]
516121.png
16 KB, 352x400
Who here has actually implemented an automated trading algorithm which outperformed the stock market?
>>
I have. It was easy. All the algorithm did was ignore the stock market and buy real estate! Ba-dum-tssss.

R E A L E S T A T E
E
A
L

E
S
T
A
T
E
>>
>>1231025
Easy. Make a trading algorithm that spends your savings on SPY once a month and shorts all the penny stocks promoted on /biz/.
>>
>>1231025
In the long run? No. Nobody. That's why the richest person on Earth didn't get there by creating said algorithm. It can't be done.
>>
>>1231072
Oh, and top notch diversification you have right there, pal.
>>
File: 1421813796011.gif (229 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
1421813796011.gif
229 KB, 500x579
I have.

I run a small "one man band" prop trading firm make my living from it.

It wasn't as hard as you'd think, took about four years to go from first lines of code to a rock solid engine with cock solid strategies to drive it.

I had about 10 years of programming under my belt going into it.
>>
>>1231554
its like you actually think anyone in the algo trading industry gives a fuck about 'the long run'. you make something that works RIGHT NOW, and then continue using it until it stops working as well. by that time youre already on to the idea after the next idea. some algos are good for a couple days of profit, some are good for weeks or even months. but nobody gives a fuck about years.
>>
>>1232146
Pretty much this. Algo trading is a game of collecting strategies and filling niches.
>>
You'll have better luck inventing a time machine, going back in time, jacking yourself off, and investing in bitcoin.

Anyone claiming they've done anything remotely similar to the OP is lying.
>>
>>1231025

I did and it was simpler than one thinks.

I used nodejs, postgresql for the engine and MS excel for reporting. MATLAB for the modelling.

First I started writing cryptocoin arb algos, then I got some courage in me and moved on to the IB API.

Any more info and you'll need to be dev'ing with me.
>>
doesnt automated trading depend a lot on latency?
>>
>>1232176

No, not unless your model specifically depends on latency time. Most of it for amateurs will be similar to momentum trading, you'll have target stock collection, spreads, events, etc...
>>
>>1232176
not necessarily... some strategies are latency sensitive other's aren't
>>
File: 8c3.jpg (146 KB, 496x496) Image search: [Google]
8c3.jpg
146 KB, 496x496
>>1232170

Spoken like someone who's never made a trade or written a line of code in his life.

The stock market is not some great mystery beyond the realm of human understanding.

Apply yourself.
>>
>>1232172
Come hangout with some other algo guys.

discord gg/0r6y9uFQmX8dl6aC
>>
>>1232468

Thanks bud, in there now.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.