[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any major economic benefits from hosting a big sporting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: lucy-pinder-audizine-com[1].jpg (28 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
lucy-pinder-audizine-com[1].jpg
28 KB, 640x360
Are there any major economic benefits from hosting a big sporting event like the World Cup or the Olympics ?
>>
Of course there is, you fucking idiot.

Oh gee whizz, i wonder if having countless tourists come to your country to spend money, and have your country advertised to millions of people worldwide non-stop for weeks has positive benefits.
>>
yes but i believe countries generally have a net loss on the olympics. on the other hand they have to develop infrastructure and such to support it which might pay off in the long run
>>
>>1229738
How long do you suppose it would take for those infrastructures to pay off ? Not to mention all the stadiums built probably won't be used as much.
>>
I've heard some bad stories about how Olympics fucked over a lot of cities. They go hog-wild into debt paying for these new facilities and after it's over, they just rot to dust.
>>
>>1229729

No.

Sporting events lose lots of money for everyone involved. World Cup and olympics especially. It's tragic really.

But people just keep running these things.

It's such a strange world we live in. Blackholes in space and all that.
>>
>>1229729
countries arent trying as hard to host the olympics anymore. especially the winter olympics. Its costly and a lot of the facilities go to waste except the stadiums. In my opinion its not worth the cost of hosting just to get some tourists for a few weeks
>>
At one time, yes, but not anymore. Costs have gotten so obscene that its just a dick measuring contest to see who can host the most spectacular Olympics.
>>
>>1229729
Government.
Contractors.
Builders.
Corporate Sponsors.

Mainly. Some spin-off wealth from tourism etc. too.
>>
>>1229889

Sure mate, you must be right and all the countries running for it are dumb fucks.

Sure.
>>
>>1230401
>all the countries running for it are dumb fucks.
Well yeah but that's true. It's just prestige for a bunch of bureaucrats while most of the general populace (esp. in the cities where it will be held) are against it.
>>
>>1230401
They are dumb fucks, look at Greece for example. Or the clusterfuck that is the 2016 Rio olympics.

>holding water events in literal sewer water because they couldn't afford to clean it up
>>
>>1230401
Running the Olympics is one of the reason of the Greek defaults. It's for prestige of the ruling politicians only, the reason why currently there's alot of people who protested on their country bidding on being the host of Olympic Games.
World Cup fared a bit better because the country and cities only have to build soccer stadiums who are mostly a very popular sports on the host country anyway and they can double as concert place, so they are guaranteed to have their use once the event concludes.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.