[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1437446716043.png (161 KB, 300x333) Image search: [Google]
1437446716043.png
161 KB, 300x333
What's are the best ways to make money with software development, without having to,

1. Live in an overcrowded progressive fiefdom.
2. Work for someone else doing mindless bullshit I could teach an autistic female baboon to do.

I enjoy solving problems, sometimes I go to codeeval and solve the "advanced" problems with the lowest completion rates just for shits and giggles. I've also made somewhat of a name for myself among those I've worked with over the last 12 or so years, as someone of the utmost competence.

The problem is, I can't stand mindless repetitive bullshit, and I can't stand working on shitty code or with shitty coders, irrespective of the compensation. I'd rather be out farming or doing carpentry (both of which I enjoy) for a fraction of the pay, than sitting in a chair knocking hours off my life expectancy every minute while trying to figure out how the person who wrote the completely undocumented mess I'm looking at manages to breath on their own.

So, my question is: Do any of you internet captains of industry, or perhaps those of you more versed in the broader software marketplace than I -- have any suggestions for how I might capitalize on the skills I've developed, without falling prey to the aforementioned cons?

The holy grail for me would be an idea that's objectively worth developing, that is both unique and challenging, and which would otherwise require an enormous upfront investment. If it can satisfy those precepts and still manage to have a "lulz" factor, I'll be in heaven.
>>
>>1229222
Perhaps try starting a software company
>>
>>1229222
1. Freelance
2. Start some sort of company
>>
You can always find something that a client or business needs developed, search around freelancer sites for a quote, then charge the client 3x that amount. Your only responsibility would be managing the project since development is outsourced.
>>
>>1229222
>What's are the best ways to make money with software development, without having to,
>1. Live in an overcrowded progressive fiefdom.
>2. Work for someone else doing mindless bullshit I could teach an autistic female baboon to do.

Write Malware.

You'll make crazy money, no SJWs or hr department to deal with, etc.
>>
File: 1460950099281.jpg (237 KB, 400x542) Image search: [Google]
1460950099281.jpg
237 KB, 400x542
>>1229289
I have access to places like Hell and whatnot, and it has temped me in the past, but I'm too much of a moralfag to ever go that route.

>>1229257
I'm not putting my name on something Pajeet and his boys wrote. I've seen their code, and it's always a shit show. They probably have designated shit-coding streets by now.

>>1229252
>>1229247
I do freelance from time to time, but in general it's not worth it. As for starting a company, in software, companies are usually built around ideas, which I what I'm interested in. If I found the right idea, I wouldn't hesitate to build a company around it.
>>
>>1229222
>Work for someone else doing mindless bullshit I could teach an autistic female baboon to do.

What exactly do you think any labor is? Your whole post is just bitching about how work sucks.

The answer is to create a product.
>>
>>1229334
>I have access to places like Hell and whatnot

What the fuck is hell?
>>
File: 1455107001519.jpg (86 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1455107001519.jpg
86 KB, 500x667
>>1229340
>What exactly do you think any labor is? Your whole post is just bitching about how work sucks.
Efficient work is satisfying to me without regard for its difficulty, I love efficient work. I love to build things, whether it be a custom cedar sun room or a novel implementation of an LCS algorithm -- and my work ethic is extraordinary, so long as I'm interested in what I'm doing. Most long-term software development (as an employee) is not efficient work, and therein lies the problem for myself -- I care far more about how my time is spent and my own peace-of-mind than about collecting shekels for pissing into the wind all day.

>>1229350
It's a secret forum for naughty boys who like to break into computers and steal things.
>>
>>1229371
>It's a secret forum for naughty boys who like to break into computers and steal things.

Is it new?

I only know security research and Russian forums
>>
>>1229334
I'm looking to develop the skills you currently have, what should I learn that will earn me the most profit?
>>
>>1229371
>>1229373
Kek just searched it. sounds like a meme website honeypot
>>
File: 1453656782952.jpg (313 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1453656782952.jpg
313 KB, 1000x1500
>>1229373
It's about a year old I think, but relatively infamous. There are a few others that I have bookmarked and can't think of the names of right now, but I don't want to boot Tails just to look. It's been taken down in the past, but it's back now. It's currently very, very locked down though. It's not all that interesting, really, but if you're looking to make money through "hacking", it's probably the best place to go or at least in the top 3.

>>1229384
Don't focus on learning a technology or a syntax, focus on learning the underlying methodologies involved and how to think about problems in the right way. Learn about bitwise operations and things of that sort, and you'll immediately be in the top 1% of people who call themselves "software engineers" these days -- it really is that big of a shit-show. Check out "computerphile" on YouTube.

Also, don't get caught up in all the hipster garbage frameworks that are really just excuses to dumb-down the development process so that "me-too" faggots can pretend they actually know what they're doing.

Go to some place like codeacademy and play around (but don't take it seriously).

Then install a flavor of linux, pick a decent text-editor (not a full fledged IDE for now) and learn how to use the terminal to do stuff. Then learn how to use g++, check out stroustrup.com/Tour.html and start doing the exercises. The learning curve seems a lot steeper than it really is. I'd type more but my chicken is about to burn.
>>
>>1229334
i can give you the right ideas
>>
>>1229401

Thanks for the advice, hope the chicken is well seasoned.
Happy lifting
>>
>>1229411
Bump for more useful info
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.