[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my student loan is a shitty $23,000. Is there anyway I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: darkness.png (116 KB, 294x256) Image search: [Google]
darkness.png
116 KB, 294x256
So my student loan is a shitty $23,000. Is there anyway I can lower it? Also I have $19,000 saved up.Should I just dump it all in the loan? Should I pay little by little? Any other tips and tricks?
>>
what the fuck man
>>
>>1226211
I mean I got a good career started because of it. I was just figuring out if there's any 'right' way to pay it off.
>>
I would try to get rid of it as fast as possible. I mean what we're you going to do with the 19k anyway?
>>
>>1226227
Well yeah that's what it was for. Now does paying it back affect credit score as well?
>>
>>1226233
I would imagine it looks pretty good on you if you pay it back quickly instead of over a long period of time.
>>
Is the $19K your only savings? If so, I'd hold at least some of that back as an emergency fund and sink the rest into the student loan. Making a big dent in the student loan is a great idea, but not at the expense of having an emergency fund.
>>
>>1226210
Pay it off asap, don't dump the whole 19k on it, dump like 10. whats your career? how much are you making /yr
>>
>>1226237
Well no I have an extra 5k on the side as an emergency fund. That I will not touch.

However, I was also thinking of investing some obviously after the loan is paid back. I was thinking flipping houses, simply because I already own a house and can sell it with the rising prices. But stocks are always calling my name. Where can I start with stocks?
>>
Invest it, unless you have interest >8%
>>
>>1226233

It will FUCK your credit score because it's a measure of how much a cuck you are to the credit companies (ie how much money they can make from you).

If you pay it back in one big lump sum you've effectively denied your lender thousands of dollars in interest. So you'll be labelled as a high risk lendee because you don't generate revenue for lending companies.

Now, if you're okay with paying cash for everything the rest of your life, doing lump sum is fine. But if you want to save money on a mortgage (1% less interest on a several hundred thousand dollar loan is a huge saving), then call your student loan provider and ask to increase your monthly payment. If you be a good goy then you'll be able to pay the loan off quicker and pay less interest while holding a good credit score.
>>
>>1226210
What's the interest rate on this loan?

Student loans are 5 years. How much is your total interest premium after 5 years?
>>
>>1226210
what's the interest rate?
>>
>>1226331
>Now, if you're okay with paying cash for everything the rest of your life, doing lump sum is fine. But if you want to save money on a mortgage (1% less interest on a several hundred thousand dollar loan is a huge saving), then call your student loan provider and ask to increase your monthly payment. If you be a good goy then you'll be able to pay the loan off quicker and pay less interest while holding a good credit score.

be a good goy
>>
>>1226331
If it were me, I'd go whole hog, saying "fuck my credit score" and wipe the whole thing out at once. If even shit like bankruptcy eventually stops counting against you, then doing the right thing like that should as well.
>>
>>1226210
>>1226252

Would you borrow money at 6% to keep it in a savings account?

Cause that's what you're doing right now

Student loans are consumer debt, and you don't leverage those.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.