[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone want to share anything about having a bachelors in economics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1457760300188.jpg (36 KB, 398x307) Image search: [Google]
1457760300188.jpg
36 KB, 398x307
anyone want to share anything about having a bachelors in economics? considering it (minoring in it)
>>
>>1225259
majoring in a science field...i have enough interest to slow down completion and study
>>
>>1225259
you wont learn anything useful. read by yourself
>>
>>1225294
the degree lets me give economics advice to other companies though, i mean sure i can read anything from a book but degrees are power, anon.
>>
>>1225297
>the degree lets me give economics advice to other companies

please elaborate
>>
>>1225306
idk like investment deals or decisions
>>
study science, technology, engineering, or math. Most business concepts can be learned yourself by visiting local library and lurking /biz/.
>>
>>1225433
I thought stem was a meme?
>>
I have a bachelors in economics. I'm currently in my 2nd year out of uni and working as a graduate analyst at a bank.

I think it was a a great degree. An economics degree gives you a really unique and pragmatic approach to problem solving and viewing the world. Would definitely recommend.

AMA I guess.
>>
If I went that route, I'd take programming classes too. Future employer's will be like "whaaaat!!?? you know c++, python, java, matlab etc.!!??". Hired.
>>
>>1225433
I disagree. I'm an engineer and I don't think economics is a bad undergrad path. Some of my heros are Benjamin Graham and Buffet. Having read some BG, economics is pretty cool and sound undergrad study.
>>
>>1225938
Which skills does one before getting to uni? I am kinda curious about it but I am afraid I might not be the best person for it.
>>
OP, are you anywhere near decent with math?

If so, then minor in economics, take classes in econometrics and claim that you can do data analysis on your resume. Learn stata or R, they're super fucking easy. R is free/open source.

>Got a job offer at start up, was offered 48k starting.
>Told them that I could do data analysis and politely declined.
>He stood confused for a minute, stared at my resume, told me he'd get back to me.
>They got back to me 6 hours later with a 69k offer.
>Median pay for new Data Analysts in San Francisco is 65k
>The only thing seperating me from a normal economics BA holder is that I have two classes under my belt: data analysis and econometrics.
>3/4 of the econometric class' material was review from the data analysis class
>Two classes increased my net worth by over 20k a year.

Basic Econometrics isn't that difficult. It's just a bunch of easy math over and over again with different names for each repetitive stupid formula that you have to memorize.

t. graduating senior w/ BA in econ
>>
>>1225984
interesting, what college op?
>>
>>1225984
Jesus. Thank for all that information anon, really appreciating!
>>
>>1226119
yeah for real, im currently an econ major in cali and i was thinking about switching to finance but i think ill stick with it
>>
>>1225323
no major firm is going to listen to a4 year econ grad
>>
>>1226120
>>1226119
>>1226108
>what college
UC Davis, we don't even have a good econ program. My GPA is less than 3.3 and I got a B- in my econometrics class and a P in my data analysis class. I'm bad at this, but good at selling myself.

>I was thinking about switching to finance
Finance is a meme. Great work can be found applying similar skills with a lower barrier to entry in data analysis.
You can always go for finance in grad school later - having work experience in data analysis will increase your likelihood of getting into any worthwhile program.

What's great about an econ degree is that it's very versitile. Having an econ degree tells an employer the following:
>I can do at least basic math
>I'm comfortable using that math to analyze everyday scenarios, the kinds which most people can only (often wrongly) deal with using gut-instinct
>I'm data driven and I use critical thinking (along with at least 3 other buzzwords)

And what's so good about econometrics/data analysis is that nobody will know how it works in your office.
Most business grads can't do it. Software engineers don't learn it. Lib arts students are as good as rekt. Non-applied math majors can't even. Econ and Stats majors are the only people who learn this skill that's used in almost all business operations.
>>
>>1226168
>cont

It's like witchcraft - it just works. People will leave you to your work simply because they have no idea what it is. But it's so damn simple that you can master it for most business tasks in as little as two classes.

My job is for a startup that makes custom dress shirts in San Francisco, I telecommute part time now but they've offered me a position for when I graduate. I visit the office once a week, it's a 2.5 hour commute each way and they pay for it.
Just last week for a pet project I ran a regression on the data we've gotten from our customers. I tried to find out what type of coupon is most likely to result in a new customer becoming a repeat customer.
I presented the findings to my boss:
>"How did you get this? What do these numbers mean?"
>"It means that 30% off coupons are more effective for generating repeat customers than 50% off coupons."
>"How do you know this?"
>"I ran a regression using the data that I found in mixpanel"
>dafuq face
>was given a desk and the title "Client Experience and Analytics Lead"
>It's a 4 desk office
>My desk sits empty, waiting for me

We're all gonna make it, /biz/raelis.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.