[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz/, I have an idea of what I want to do as a career, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 1496x674) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 1496x674
Hey /biz/, I have an idea of what I want to do as a career, but I can't seem to find any resources about (or even the name of) the particular career path.

I am interested in film restoration and physical media.

For example
When a film is to be released on bluray for the first time, it is scanned into a computer and painstakingly touched up to remove dirt and discoloration.

Does anyone here have any experience in this field or have any advice or resources to link to me? This is really interesting to me and i'd love to pursue this career path, but I do want to know if it is unrealistic.
>>
I suspect that the field is in incredibly low demand. I think when they release HD versions of movies, they don't need to do anything most of the time. The original master is incredibly high quality, unless it was damaged. I can't imagine that studios let their shit get damaged with any degree of frequency.
>>
>>1225128
I actually just read about it, and in fact studios did NOT bother to properly store most of their stuff. The more you know, I guess.
>>
>>1225128

80% of films made before 1929 are lost

50% of talkies made before 1950 are lost

Film is a VERY fragile medium, digital (modern) film archival/restoration is a different beast altogether

You may be right about it being low demand, I don't even have a place to look into it
>>
>>1225135
I have to assume it's in low demand in either case, because really, how many studios are there that would need film restorers? There can't be more than like a thousand of these guys in the USA.
>>
>>1225135
This is actually pretty interesting. I guess NYU offers an MA in film restoration.

https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-film-preservation-board/resources/film-schools-and-careers/
>>
>>1225141
It's a reasonable assumption, but film preservation/restoration and physical media is something I am really passionate about and would love to explore.
>>
>>1225146
Thank you, that's something to read into.
>>
>>1225120
>google restoration+library+of+congress
When movie studios want to archive and preserve their films, they contact the US Library of Congress because the LOC are the experts on this matter. I recently watched a documentary that went into all the technological advances that have been made in this area and most are the result of the LOC's need to preserve a certain medium. Start your hunt there, they are the experts.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.