[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haskell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: haskell-logo-with-name.jpg (17 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
haskell-logo-with-name.jpg
17 KB, 800x400
Exactly how fucking useless would it be to learn Haskell?
>>
what in the fuck is haskell?
>>
>>1223168
Programming language.
>>
>>1223143
Been wondering the same thing 2bh
>>
>>1223143
for what purpose?
>>
>>1223195
That's my question to you, what is it used for?
>>
>>1223202
nothing much
seems to be a language people learn for the sake of learning new stuff.
>>
>>1223143
The language itself isn't used very much commercially, but it will absolutely make you a better programmer and make you marketable for any job that require knowledge in functional programming, no matter the language.
>>
>>1223266
Cool. I have jack shit to do over the summer break, so I think I'll learn Haskell then.
>>
>>1223295
Learn F# you fucking autist
>>
>>1223296
>F#er calling somebody else an autist
If it's not C-based, it's an autist toy language.

But the real answer is any skill is worthless to sociopath talkers trying to take all of the money for themselves.
>>
Haskell, is great I'm actually learning it now just because I want to change my style of thinking to build cleaner and more elegant code
>>
>>1223306
>If it's not C-based, it's an autist toy language.

You don't know what you're talking about
>c based
What the fuck does that mean? Most languages are written in C, does that make them "C based"? what does that even mean
>>
>>1223325
C based is fucking standard vocabulary when talking about programming languages you autist.
>>
>>1223329
Pretty much every language is "based" on C or influenced by it and written in it.

What the hell is that suppose to mean? C and C++ are shitty languages with a million ways to shoot yourself in the foot. you fags are just trying to sound like you know something, I bet you haven't worked on a single project in C/C++
>>
>>1223296
Why would I learn F#?
>>
>>1223391
because it's actually used commercially?
i don't know why would you learn a language people actually speak instead of a dead one?
>>
File: 1461484755277.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1461484755277.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>1223391
Because it's a good language.

https://fsharpforfunandprofit.com/why-use-fsharp/
>>
>>1223334
>C and C++ are shitty languages with a million ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

If you're retarded. Most duhvelopers are.

>>1223334
>you fags are just trying to sound like you know something, I bet you haven't worked on a single project in C/C++

Unfortunately, I know that it's rare outside of the west coast because of how retarded most duhvelopers are. You know it's bad when you say "C#" and everybody moans about how hard it is. They just use VB for their shitty project instead.

If you can't think, no language is going to help you. So VB protects you from reading beyond the end of a buffer. Big deal. Does it matter if you never check for null and vomit NullReferenceExceptions everywhere? Does it help when there's no error logging? What about when you hard code file paths? And so on and so on.
>>
>>1223415
Really it's just because C++ is a fucking clusterfuck.

Have you seen the standard? It's a thousand pages long at this point.

C++ code looks godawful overall and it's simply too bloated. It's really a disgusting language.

>If you're retarded. Most duhvelopers are.

It's not good design for a language to have millions of ways to shoot yourself in the foot, even as a professional developer with 10 years of experience.
>>
>>1223415
That said, I've only worked one place where anybody used F# and he was only playing with it for lack of anything productive to do. That project never got off the ground because they got sucked into X++ and Dynamics. Go ahead and learn it if you want but it'll be a nice-to-have on the job rather than opening alot of doors on its own.
>>
It's pretty useful desu. Knowing functional programming helps you think about the world in a different way, and functional programs are quite scalable.
>>
>>1223425
There's much more relevant functional languages
>>
>>1223417
c++ is powerful but agree with everything you said. it's a thing of the past after c# i'm little inclined to ever look back.
there were times when speed was of essence and i had to write code that was not only fast but truly multi-platform. c++ did it's job but infuriatingly inefficient to code in it.
>>
>>1223417
To be fair, it's been awhile, so some of the newer syntax may throw me off.

But the alternative is to dumb everything down to the point where you can't actually do anything. I've been to meetings where a language like C# was reduced all the way back to about what Pascal could do 25 years ago because other developers didn't understand the features. List of stuff I've been banned from using because abloobloobloo too hard:

++/--
IIF and its short-circuited variants
references
structs
static functions
default parameters
bitwise logic
inline array declaration
inheritance/overrides
string.format()
any integeral types except Int32
generics
delegates (function pointers)
Win32 interop

So what's left? Hello World?
>>
>>1223415
dude NullReferenceExceptions just make the program stop or not work if routinely handled it does not offer an exploit like buffer overflow. old c code is a real minefield. and we got shittons of legacy code in every os.
>>
File: DSI03414 Lijohn K.J.jpg (25 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
DSI03414 Lijohn K.J.jpg
25 KB, 375x500
>>1223430
>it's a thing of the past after c# i'm little inclined to ever look back.

Upgrade to F#, white man.

https://fsharpforfunandprofit.com/why-use-fsharp/

>Although it is a functional language at heart, F# does support other styles which are not 100% pure, which makes it much easier to interact with the non-pure world of web sites, databases, other applications, and so on. In particular, F# is designed as a hybrid functional/OO language, so it can do virtually everything that C# can do.

>>1223431
Huh?

C# is a MUCH better designed language, is much quicker and smoother to write in and looks much much nicer. Something that can be done in one line in C# requires multiple loops and 10 lines of code in C++, obviously not a game-breaker, but in a 100k LoC project that can totally fuck yout shit up.

You can do it all in an easier way. Only issue is that Cross-platform isn't quite there yet, which C++ certainly takes care of.

C# even compiles to native code now, no reason not to use it
>>
>>1223437
well i'm considering incorporating f# for my team as it could be useful in business logic type stuff.

however i'm more of a technical challenges guy in the team i write dev tools and try to create new more efficient coding patterns and the components for them. c# with its object oriented features is incredibly useful for this kind of stuff.

i will definitely try my hand at f# but don't feel the hype just yet.
>>
>>1223143
Learn Scala instead, my man.
>>
>>1223453
I don't hear about this one a lot. What is it most used for?
>>
>>1223334
>>>1223329
>Pretty much every language is "based" on C or influenced by it and written in it.
>What the hell is that suppose to mean? C and C++ are shitty languages with a million ways to shoot yourself in the foot. you fags are just trying to sound like you know something, I bet you haven't worked on a single project in C/C++
Hello world
>>
I would also like to know what other obscure languages might have some money in them.

What are the highest paying languages in general?

>>1223334
>Pretty much every language is "based" on C
...except the autist toy languages, which I guess was his point.

C-style would be a better phrasing. As in curly braces.
>>
>>1223306
>But the real answer is any skill is worthless to sociopath talkers trying to take all of the money for themselves.
THIS, anybody have some answers?

Where is there money and no hipsters?
>>
>>1223808
So a language requires curly braces to be good?
>>
>>1223825
No.

But a lot of the good languages do use curly braces. It generally means less relearning as it's such a common idiom.
>>
>>1223143
If you want to be well rounded programmer you should know a language or two from every paradigm. Haskell is a good choice for functional but I would say Scala is better because it is also has "big data" appeal
>>
>using primitive C
>not working in elegant Python

if you want to go into the mud, learn fucking assembly fggts.
>>
>>1223870
lol implying there is anyone that didn't.
also it's beautiful on it's own way.
not very efficient tho. when i was a kid there was a lot of shit you could only do in asm tho. i used to program all the pc hardware directly via io ports most of the routines were in assembly. it was fun.
>>
>>1223870
>python
>elegant

Ruby is better
>>
>>1223875
ruby has it's own problems
>>
>>1223893
Like what?

The whole Python 2.7 vs 3.* problem is ridiculous.

Honestly I much prefer ruby after using python first. Awesome language
>>
>>1223894
to be honest it looks like a good shell script language that's all.
>>
>>1223898
>shell script language

Wat? Wtf does that mean?

Bash is the "shell script language"
>>
>>1223948
bash is one of the shell scrip languages.
ruby could be good as one.
i wouldn't use it for development it's not nearly mature enough.
>>
>>1224006
>it's not major enough
Dude it was released in the mid 90's and the ruby on rails framework is ridiculously popular.

Wtf are you saying seriously
>>
>>1224011
you mean like 2 people use it om the world ridiculously popular?
>>
Is there any reason to learn COBOL or FORTRAN?
>>
Functional programming thread on /biz/ and nobody posted the only relevant video yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKcOkWzj0_s
>>
File: 1398159382033.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1398159382033.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
What's the best functional language if I want to become smarter and make a shit ton of money?

Haskell
F#
Caml
Scala
Lisp

?
>>
/g/ is for retardedly arguing whether some language is superior to another

This is the appropriate question:
>>1224694
>and make a shit ton of money?
>>
File: Pepe_gun.jpg (6 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
Pepe_gun.jpg
6 KB, 200x194
>>1223870
Boy, if this were /g/...

>>1224478
>open the door
>get on the floor
>everybody walk the cobol programmer

>>1224694
>smarter
Haskell

>money
OCaml
>>
>>1223808
>obscure
>money

Good fucking luck homes. If you can make and sell a highly successful product yourself using an obscure language, it's the only way that will happen.

Maintaining it becomes far more expensive though, since the expertise is rare as well.
>>
>>1224030

every programemer uses it. what the hell are you saying?
>>
>>1224773
>programemer
okay... i can't possibly argue with that one.
>>
File: wKNUJKs.gif (1 MB, 258x193) Image search: [Google]
wKNUJKs.gif
1 MB, 258x193
>falling for the functional programming meme
>>
What languages should I learn and how should I learn them

Meme responses encouraged
>>
>>1224694

Erlang. WhatsApp is built with Erlang and it sold for 19 billion in 2014.
>>
File: matrix.jpg (58 KB, 493x340) Image search: [Google]
matrix.jpg
58 KB, 493x340
>>1224790
APL
>>
>>1224792

why haven't they use a standard xmpp server? Sometimes I wonder
>>
>>1224790
Start with Python,

go to https://www.codecademy.com/
>>
I'm going to go ahead and ignore the clusterfuck of responses above me.

Python to get started because it's easy and "it just werks"
VB6 is 100% necessary because everything in the real world runs off excel spreadsheets
C/C++ or Lisp if you want to know about programming and not just syntax rote learning
MATLAB or R if you want to get into the financial industry
Java or JavaScript or C# if you want to go webdev side
Assembly if you want to dedicate your life work to programming

A lot of the rest are pretty dysfunctional at this stage. I wouldn't bother with Pascal, Haskell, Go, Ruby or any other.

Couple SQL with good knowledge of Python, VB6 and C++ and you're pretty much set.

>>1224830
I agree, start with Python, but look up a guy called Sentdex on youtube for learning python instead.
>>
>>1224830
second that^

O'Reilly's Python book is a solid one though (if you want something that doesn't assume you're a retard)
>>
>>1224908
I know Python and MATLAB. Is Haskell a good language for computational science?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.