[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a killer idea for an app, but I lack both capital and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2
File: 949ff849b9cc760e.png (58 KB, 1056x587) Image search: [Google]
949ff849b9cc760e.png
58 KB, 1056x587
I have a killer idea for an app, but I lack both capital and technical know-how. All I know is that I want to have it licensed. How do I get from point A to point Z, /biz/?
>>
>He's an ideas guy
>>
ideas are a dime a dozen
>>
>>1207858
Learn to fucking code. There are load of websites where you can learn for free
>>
>>1207863
>he's unhelpful

>>1207867
Regardless, I'd like to know how I could license it.

>>1207871
The app I have conceptualized will be the Uber of its particular industry. I'd need to get a degree in computer science if I were to write the code for it. Hence why I'd much rather license it than actually develop it.
>>
>>1207874
Let me guess your great idea is uber for pets or some dumb shit like that.
>>
>>1207881
No. It's Uber for dank memes. The idea isn't what matters, I'm just trying to find out how I make money off of it. I've scoured the market and there's nothing like it out there. But there's definitely demand for the service it provides.
>>
>>1207874
what do you mean by license it? you want to sell the idea? you have nothing right now. ideas are worthless without execution. you'd be lucky to have someone even listen to your idea and take the time to consider stealing it. everyone has an idea
>>
ideas don't mean shit in the app industry. it's all about the implementation.
>>
>>1207863
>>1207867

I bet he would give you at least 10% of the profits for his idea after you just make it work.

Don't be such dicks.
>>
>>1207858
>>1207874
You can't license ideas like that retard. You can license brands and logos and shit, and you can essentially keep the code a secret, but you can't own such basic concepts of a service.
>>
>>1207895
That makes sense. I assume I'd need a prototype first. Hmph, I was really hoping for an expert on these sorts of things.

>>1207906
Yes, yes. That makes sense. But what can I do without capital and know-how? Look for investors without a prototype or patent?
>>
>>1207902
Hmph, but how do I go about "implementation"? That's what I'm looking for. Should I just write up a sales pitch and go knocking at every door? Look for a partner who will provide capital? I'm absolutely lost, and that's why I've come to /biz/ for help.
>>
>>1207912
>what can I do
Sell your body for capital, or cut out the middleman and start sleeping with coders. Seriously thought if you had anywhere near the ambition you actually need to make this shit work you'd be willing to learn how to code so you can do at least some of it yourself, which you in no way need a degree to do, you can literally learn everything you need online for free.
>>
>>1207919
Like I said, this shit is beyond complicated. Do you know how many different types of complicated code Uber uses? A lot.

I'm not talking about making the next Candy Crush, here. I know my limitations.
>>
>>1207928
You don't need to make the entire fucking app yourself, just learn enough so you can understand what's required and create some kind of outline. If you can't even do that you're never gonna get investors or coders interested enough to work with you. You have nothing right now.
>>
File: thumbstrump.jpg (226 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
thumbstrump.jpg
226 KB, 1600x900
>>1207938
I see what you're saying, but I wonder if it's possible to create an "outline" of a very complicated app. Nonetheless, I'll research it and see what I can learn or do. Thanks.
>>
>>1207858
I know your feel OP. I have an idea for a teleportation device. It would revolutionize the travel industry. All I need is someone to fund it, someone to design it, someone to build it, and some people to market it for me. Im so close to my millions I can taste it
>>
>>1207928
>Do you know how many different types of complicated code Uber uses? A lot.

not really. gps API and basic account management.
>>
>>1207944
>I wonder if it's possible to create an outline of a very complicated app
How else do you think they make complicated apps? FYI Uber isn't actually that complicated.
>>
>tfw was this guy 1.5 years ago
>designed an app and paid indians to build it
>1 month they said 12 months ago

ive only paid out 25% of the milestones and they were trying to jew me the other day "oh yeah about that agreed beta fix... we cant do that" "ok sure well you wont get paid" "ok sir we can do it!"

it was a good lesson though and i dont regret it.

indians are fucking retarded at doing their job/being honest
>>
>>1207960
I work in software and I can't even imagine how working with pajeets would work. you need constant clear communication to keep development on track at all
>>
>>1207960
Use Pakistanis next time.
>>
Is there any money in coding? Seems like an oversaturated market. Always been interested in coding
>>
>>1207964
Its like talking to a baby

You have to use very simple and direct words

But theyre dishonest like children too, they say "fixed!" in an update memo and then the feature is still broken

So when I initially had this passion and drive to get the app completed I've now become jaded expecting failure and fuckups and no more passion.

It's still fun seeing the app come to life though. Like seeing your design validated is cool, and learning more about contracts and negotiations and design and timelines and bidding and all that shit. I'd never have learnt it otherwise.
>>
>>1207874
Uber is what it is because it has great marketing.
Uber is the Apple of the taxi Apps. In my country there are a TON of apps for taxis. Uber is just the biggest, because it has a brand, the code is not important.
your idea needs to be highly marketable to the general population, or to create a new kind of costumer.
How can you be sure it will expand? and grow?
You need to test it first, maybe without coding or the complete app you can test the idea, and see how many people want to get behind it.
For instance, Uber is not just a taxi app, it has a goal in mind and that is Automatization of transport, when self driving cars are a thing, UBER will adapt to that. Think the current UBER like a test run, of a test run. See?
It's valuable, because it has a vision, and because it can earn you money while founding new wasy to make you money.
>>
>>1207975
I just want to mention

I told them to put in autocapitalization where the user inputs their name

and they did, when the user presses ok after typing, but when theyre typing into the box its still lowercase

its just little stupid things like that, they drive you crazy with their autistic/lazy approach

now i have to specify YES i want the name to be capitalized when submitted AND when they press enter and it appears

i cant believe i have to specify that but again im learning
>>
>>1207979
I hate autocapitalization
>>
>>1207973
it's not over saturated because demand is enormous
>>
>>1207981
for a name it's necessary

i dont know what country you live in where it's not conventional to capitalize a name
>>
>>1207984
Ill do it my fucking self you jagweed
>>1207982
whats the pay for an entry level coder? im assuming youre in the industry
>>
>>1207989
>Ill do it my fucking self you jagweed

the average user is fucking retarded and wants to expend as little effort as possible. the app needs to reflect the laziness and stupidity of the users.
>>
>>1207994
If they dont care that its capital then neither should you. So annoying and pretentious
>>
>>1207989
50-60k typically. can go up quick based on how good you are and how well you sell yourself.
>>
>>1207994
but why does it matter what the name looks like when it's being typed into the box? as long as it's stored in the back end with proper case it's okay
>>
>>1207997
the user does care when their name isnt capitalized because its fucking retarded and makes the app look incompetent

"oh they didnt figure out I want a capital M for Mark? who designed this? a fucking retard? fuck this app"

the app needs to minimize the amount of annoyance it brings the user. all apps do.
>>
>>1207863
This.

>tfw idea guy and programmer/web developer.

OP is just lazy.
>>
>>1207994
It's kind of sad that this is necessary for apps to be successful because this kind of over the top user friendly shit is actively making consumers shittier at using technology.
>>
>>1208002
cause some users will go in and capitalize it themselves unless they know it auto-capitalizes once entered
>>
>>1208004
>"oh they didnt figure out I want a capital M for Mark? who designed this? a fucking retard? fuck this app"
Yes that is the train of thought of every app user. its amazing to see a master displaying his craft
>>
>people think coding is difficult

Wew
>>
>>1208012
if 1 thinks it then I dont want it

why release something thats shit when it can be better?
>>
>>1208013
the difficult part is maintaining your code base when it gets huge
>>
>>1207863

I love the people nowadays who claim they have the next billion dollar app idea but don't have any idea on how to implement it.

Newsflash OP, your idea has most likely already been thought of and done better. Most likely is the keyword here.

As you progress deeper into the rabbit hole of technical knowledge, more ideas and possibilities open up with your depth of knowledge. That's where I recommend you head down.
>>
>>1208016
because youre spending time and money fixing an arbitrary issue. Shit like that can be fixed in version 1.01 when you know if people even give a fuck about your shitrag app
>>
OP, a little tip. You can have an idea and bring on a developer. Great. The developer will hate you if you take anything more than 20%. You will not get 50% because you are doing nothing. If anything, the dev will still your idea because he used a fake name on the NDA and make it himself.

I once had this guy offer me 20% to build his entire online web business. He had projection sheets saying he would earn millions within 4 years. He had himself for 50% as CEO (ie, does nothing because he's an idea guy) and 30% to his FUCKING WIFE as the lead marketing executive.

I watched his site for over a year as he built it himself and it died because they had no idea what the fuck they were doing.

I did it again with a visual novel I was working on because they thought the programmer should take a cut instead of the writer. lel.

>>1207960
You get what you pay for.

Every web/app developer knows that the Indians pull this shit. Pajeet always does this shit.

Hire white people or jews.
>>
>>1208023

these fucking indians have taken 12 months to do what they contracted to do in 40 days

i am not going to be paying them for maintenace, i want the 'beta' to be the alpha so i never have to deal with them again

so getting every little thing down is more important now than getting to market as a MVP because I dont want to work with these fuckheads ever again
>>
>>1207994
>>1208004
That's just what your teachers tell you because they want you to be as thorough as possible and cover all potential input errors. 99% of users don't actually care about or get annoyed by this shit unless people in the industry make it so standard for years that they start becoming used to it and notice it's absence.
>>
>>1208024
>visual novel
How complicated could the coding actually be for that shit? Aren't most of them basically just really fucking long CYOAs?
>>
>>1208027
but that's not how software works. if your app is successful it will need more work done, bug fixes , maintenance etc. but now pajeet is gone.. what will you do ? hire new people to work on it? they will have to study and figure out the entire code base which will be a pile of shit , you'll end up paying more in the end
>>
>>1208034
They didn't want a basic VN. They needed custom stuff that needed to be wrote in Python.
>>
>>1208024
If I had an idea and offered 80% would it get off the ground? Where would I find someone like this?
>>
>>1208055
Like what?
>>
>>1208040
shhh. dont spoil his dreams with that pesky thing called reality
>>
>>1208040
if (big if) the app is successful I will goto market again and negotiate for maintenance contracts.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there but at the moment I'd rather try with a random than use a person/company who has demonstrated an inability to meet deadlines
>>
>>1208065
what is this app? ill buy it just so i can write a review about some arbitrary thing i find wrong with it. you cant put out a perfect app retard. you can spend the next 20 years jerkin off with the towelheads there will still be bugs
>>
>>1208057
>>>/g/dpt/
or
>>>/g/wdg/

So a lot of people are going to laugh you out of the room for being an idea guy. A few points for you before you go:
>Offer 70%. 10% room for negotiation.
>Prepare an NDA because they might not like your app idea, or might pretend not to like it and steal it. NDA will only help if they use your app idea and get big. Verify at least the phone number is correct so you can sue if you need to.
>Go learn javascript. It will take a month or two, but then you can just make your app in Cordova and keep 100% minus taxes.

>>1208065
Should have hired a jew or white person. I started my gamified low-bandwidth photo manipulating sharing niche app a week ago and it's almost done.
>>
>>1208073
the problem isnt a perfect app

the problem is meeting deadlines

once they dropped the ball on a 40 day 'guarantee' and dragged it to nearly 400 days i decided ill get my moneys worth out of them and have them fucking slave over every stupid minute detail
>>
>>1208079
So you don't really have a solid goal here you're just gonna make them do arbitrary shit out of spite until you feel satisfied?
>>
>>1208094
lol
>>
>>1208094
were dealing with the next steve jobs here
>>
>>1208094
nah ive got a number of things to reach 'perfect' and then theyre free to go and waste someone elses time
>>
>>1208057
>Where would I find someone like this?
Here?

Where your idea really has value is if you have position in some industry or some unique industry insight beyond the literally meme tier "uber for x".

Your idea doesn't have all that much value, but *you* might have value if you can use your connections, market the idea to a specific industry you have access to, and work continually with the developer to get feedback and iterate on the design.

(Successful software often starts out as one thing, then turns into something else often quite different from the original idea in response to user feedback...)

I wouldn't touch anyone like OP who thinks ideas can or should be "licensed" or requires an NDA however. (Unless they are investing actual cash and paying me a salary). If you aren't critical to the app's success over a period of many months such that I couldn't bail on you if I wanted to... you don't really have value anyway.

The problem with ideas getting stolen is because the ideas guy is totally dependent on the developer. It shouldn't be that way. There should be mutual dependency with the ideas guy actually contributing continuous value.
>>
My app is about to strike the world.

Since I browse /biz/ often, I feel like you are my family, so I will let you know about it first.

Psst: it is made for people looking to make easy money, if interested, check up wisdomrace.com
>>
have you ensured that there isnt already an app doing what you want to do?
last time i checked there was an "uber" for almost everything
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.