[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you overcome the urge to buy expensive things /biz/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: 1368619739876.png (22 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1368619739876.png
22 KB, 645x773
How do you overcome the urge to buy expensive things /biz/?

I know the way to get rich is to drive a cheap toyota, pay down your mortgage asap and save/invest as much as humanly possible, but how do you silence that side that tells you to buy a bigger house, or buy a mercedes S class?

Basically I could be a millionaire in 10 years if I jew hard, but will it be worth it?
>>
That's for you to decide. No one can answer it for you.
>>
>>1206009
I think about how every dollar I spend today is 8 dollars I don't have when I retire 30 years from now. That 40k Mercedes is actually a 320k Mercedes.
>>
>>1206009
try r9k
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBVeU2raQ68
>>
>>1206017
it's actually more like $20 with a decent interest rate
>>
>>1206009
The same way you have successfully resisted the urge for sex since you were born.
>>
>>1206009
When I became less social I magically stopped spending so much to keep up with the Jones'.

But it's about personal values in the end. If you don't care what anyone thinks about you spend the minimum to get by (suits for work for e.g.)

Enjoying leisure that is cheap or free is a good way to enjoy your time. Exercising, fishing, bushwalking, etc.
>>
>>1206009
I buy expensive things until i have them all.
>>
File: mcduck.jpg (44 KB, 886x514) Image search: [Google]
mcduck.jpg
44 KB, 886x514
I have the opposite problem. i basically spend nothing. I could go a month without withdrawing a dollar from an ATM or pulling out the credit card even once. I put off buying clothes, my fridge is mostly bare, live off coffee, wear jackets indoors, haircut every six months, never, ever eat out, no loans, I don't even buy games during the steam sales. It doesn't help that I'm basically working 14 hour days.

I don't mean to be like this. It's not a deliberate decision. I just always hold off on spending money. I definitely don't invest. I don't even have a savings account. My money just sits there. I might spend it, but I can't.

Is there some kind of term for me. Do I need help?
>>
>>1206009
This works for me;
>Lay down on bed or couch
>Close your eyes
>Imagine you own the material thing you want to buy (House, car, clothing etc.)
>Make it was vivid and realistic as possible. Walk through the house, look out the windows
>You still have to pour water in your kettle, turn it on, and wait, in your brand new kitches.
>That new car is still going to have you awkwardly wait in traffic most of the time, and you'll have to keep being within the speed limit.
>ONLY make the material as a part of the item, Don't let the lifestyle marketing manipulate you (Having a bigger house won't mean having a wife that makes a perfect breakfast in it, for example)
>Realize it is the exact same as your current situation, except a more aesthetic view
>Realize that there are better things in life that bring you more happiness and fulfillment
>>
>>1206066
wtf would you think theres something wrong with you?
>>
>>1206066
Invest your money into a S&P 500 ETF.
>>
>>1206066
>Do I need help
So you are living a life you are fine with while spending very little money?
Hell no, you are the one who needs to help other people.

Literally all you need to do is invest in some way (Index funds are the easiest, you'll just put your money in their hands and they throw some money back every quarter) and then you'll be the one bragging in a few years.
>>
>>1206066
Invest, you fucking idiot.
>>
The way for me to cut my spending was to realize that the expensive shit that i bought did not make me happy. Shure I enjoyed them for a while but everything becomes mundane in awhile. Also I think I'am turning in to a minimalist so i dont use money on unneccesary stuff but when i buy something it's after a long moral discussion with myself. This way im shure im happy with my purchases and have more money to invest.
>>
File: rly?.jpg (33 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
rly?.jpg
33 KB, 520x390
>>1206078
>>1206081
>>1206094
Anyone I know who invested or invest in any way has lost their money. Even when times are good they lose on commissions and taxes. When times are bad their gains are wiped out. I am mostly thinking of pension funds, stocks, and property investments here, but the last ten years in general have basically put me off the stock market entirely.

All I see is a scam, with me as the mark. It's not helping that the entire system seems to be sputtering to a halt at the moment.
>>
>>1206099
some index funds are not commissioned and not taxed. at the minimum you should look into roth's and a 401K (if you work for a company that matches the investment by any percentage its a no-brainer).
>>
File: dankindex.jpg (30 KB, 647x221) Image search: [Google]
dankindex.jpg
30 KB, 647x221
>>1206099
My opinion;
It's about holding over the long term in an index fund. It's easier, and you have to keep holding no matter what. You're going in for a wild ride, but over time it will be fine.

This is the graph of one that has paid good dividends too, so even if the growth is nothing to be incredibly impressed at, anyone holding would get another free paycheck every 3 months.

If you are not american, find out what is best in your country. Where I live renting out is never worth it.
>>
>>1206099
I share that sentiment. My money sits in a savings account which I know is stupid.

Everyone talks about these great returns.. all I see is 3-4%. Minus fund fees, commissions, taxes and I'm looking at maybe 2%. That extra 1% over a high interest savings account isn't worth the risk of my investment losing value.
>>
>>1206108

Yes goyim buy at the top! Now has never been a better time
>>
>>1206009
> Want nice thing
> Ugly, out of shape
> Start lifting
> Eat right
> Become nice thing
Impulse is gone.
>>
>>1206009
A good thing to do, assuming you have a job, would be to think about how many hours you had to work to afford this, and was it worth it?

If you had to work for 2 years to afford a car, is that 2 years of your life really worth this car? Or should you buy a car that you only worked a few months for?

This really puts things into perspective.
>>
>>1206066
I'm assuming you work.

Would you work if you no longer needed a salary?

If you're not spending your money, and you wouldn't work if you had the option, why not put your extra money to work for you, and use it as a revenue source?

That's the basic principle behind long-term investing in equity markets. You invest in the market, and give some of your liquidity (money) in exchange for some form of equity (stocks, bonds, foreign market funds, etc.), the idea being that the equity you invest in will be worth more money than you put in at some point in the future.

There are ways to do this with low risk potential, and many opportunities for you to invest smartly with low overhead and limited fees.

If you don't want to work forever, and eventually want to have the freedom to turn down a job you don't like, you need to learn to invest.
>>
File: 1349217226441.jpg (42 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
1349217226441.jpg
42 KB, 720x439
>>1206099

I was reading a book a few weeks ago that talks about all the people who lost their retirement savings by putting their cash into non-guaranteed investments when the crash of 2008 happened.

Another book I read argued what >>1206108 is saying, that you'll experience ups and downs with index funds but you'll get the benefit of the average.

Honestly, it comes down to what level of risk you're comfortable with. There are agency-guaranteed investments like bank GICs (might be different in your country, I'm a Canadafag) where you have 0 risk but the growth is pretty much only enough to protect your cash from inflation. Of course, you could theoretically lose your money in an apocalyptic event, but at that point I think you have more to worry about than just your money.

I'm yet to be in a position to start investing, but you should at least be putting your unused money into TFSA/401k and guaranteed RRSPs. From there, you can decide if you want to allocate a certain percentage of your money into low, medium, and high risk investments.
>>
> pay down your mortgage asap
LOL stay poor, my friend
>>
I look at money as the value of my time

so everything I buy is x amount of my time gone to buy it
>>
>>1206009

Practice mindfulness
>>
>>1206009
I have never experienced this at all, the worst I get is giving in to buying budget candy at walmart.

I guess you have to try and get into shekel grubbling, to count your change, try to calculat how much you are spending leaving a light on or flushing the toilet, open your bank account details every day and view the numbers as a measure of your success.
>>
>>1206009
>if I jew hard
not even. just live like the middle class minus new shit and vacations...
>>
>>1206009
>How do you overcome the urge to buy expensive things /biz/?

If you have this urge, your not rich and you won't ever be. Wealth is rather based on attitude, not stupid stuff you could buy.
>>
>>1206038
30√20 = 1,105
How are you going to get 10% interest?
>>
>>1206422
>tfw wageslave making shitty pay
>"this would take me 8 hours of working to pay for it"
>cant justify any purchase at all
>>
File: 1435816959912.jpg (9 KB, 191x263) Image search: [Google]
1435816959912.jpg
9 KB, 191x263
also,

>2016
>stills lives a materialistic life
>>
>>1206009
>pay down your mortgage
>buying a volatile slowly appreciating asset with 5-20x leverage on medium interest rate
wew lad
>>
>>1206066
an idiot? Invest in 60% stocks 40% bonds if you're that scared.
>>
>>1206009
>how do you silence that side that tells you to buy a bigger house, or buy a mercedes S class?
I don't have that side.

I'm satisfied with my $350/month apartment. I wish I could get rid of my car and just walk everywhere, but I don't live in an area where that is practical.
>>
>>1206099
>Anyone I know who invested or invest in any way has lost their money.
you are losing your money too, to inflation
>>
>>1206009
>Basically I could be a millionaire in 10 years if I jew hard, but will it be worth it?

no you couldnt
>>
>>1206009
all about delaying gratification
>>
Toyota? Buy a bicycle you fucking clown
>paying car payments
>paying for gas/oil
>maintenence
>insurance
>tickets/parking on occasion
Why not just burn your money
>>
>>1206166
i cant get ahold of my diet. I used to be so strict but ive spiraled out of control with this last bout of depression
>>
>>1206066
>I don't even have a savings account. My money just sits there.
Do you just have a stack of money in your apartment?
>>
For me it's the fact that happiness lies in the pursuit of my hobbies and the relationships I build with others/how I am perceived by others. Material things help with this, but I find that learning to do things and doing them, as well as experiences, accomplishes this task more effectively. Example: if you have a mercedes you will attract a superficial whore, but learning to dance or play instruments or having cool stories will land you a more interesting babe. Same with business partners and the opinion you hold of yourself. Live minimally and frugally, but splurge on your interests, experiences, and the people you care about.

tldr; material things don't buy happiness, but money can allow you to pursue happiness
>>
>>1206009

Remember this, there are more millionaires living modestly then there are living extravagant lifestyles. I grew up around Texas oil millionaires, guys in beat up trucks and dirty shirts, living in small houses, so that is my idea of how a millionaire lives. I don't buy shit I don't need (save for food, I love good food) because of the good ole boy millionaires never did.
>>
>>1206217
This!!!!!!!!

Is a car really worth a whole year of work?? Or two???

Thats why you guys are cucks
>>
>>1208078
Bicycle wont get ypu laid though
>>
>>1208269
whats the point of $ if you dont enjoy it?
>>
>>1208280
Freedom
>>
>>1208280

Define how you enjoy it. I enjoy my little part of FI by being able to take vacations and not really giving a shit about if I actually have a job. I have co-workers that define it by begin able to afford the latest and greatest ricer car they can afford, but they can barely afford anything else besides the car and to me that is insane. I enjoy looking at my mint account and knowing that I'll be able to retire in 10 years if I keep at my current savings and investment rate. I may not be able to retire to Ibiza but I can live happily in Belize, Thailand, Vietnam or a host of cheaper US states.
>>
>>1208078
You can't really compare a car to a bicycle. Speed of transportation, trunk capacity and protection from weather makes an immense difference. Even Mr. Money Mustache has a fucking car.
>>
>>1208280
What's the point of having luxurious shit if you barely have any time to enjoy it and you have to deal with your boss shit all the time?
>>
>>1208319

Annon gets it.

I really would have low cost of living that would let me retire early then a high cost of living and work until I am in my 70s.
>>
>>1206111
NOBODY RESPOND TO THIS ANON?
>>
>>1208346
He's a fucking retard who doesn't warrant a response. If all he can do is a few percent ROI he's a failure. And a 1 point spread is huge in terms of building wealth.

He's not going to make it.
>>
>>1208346
He is a retard. S&p index is like 7.7% average return over time - vanguard and you have low fees
>>
>>1208387
This, made 3% from a vanguard s&p fund in a week. I expect it will fluctuate around but that's still better than 1% at best in a savings account.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.