[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Graduated with a BS in Accounting 5 months ago >no internship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: 47457567568.jpg (124 KB, 393x877) Image search: [Google]
47457567568.jpg
124 KB, 393x877
>Graduated with a BS in Accounting 5 months ago
>no internship experience
>2.98 GPA
>Applying to as many jobs as I can (about 2-3 per day)
>Eventually run out of job offers to apply to
>wait
>send follow up emails
>no response
>still unemployed
>student loan bills coming soon

Why do they push this college meme so hard? I would have been better off working at a fucking Gamestop straight out of High School.
>>
>>1205354
You exist to be exploited now.
>>
Did you do any internships
>>
where do you live?
>>
>>1205366
Chicago
>>
>>1205354
2-3 per day with no response for 5 months? And you haven't committed crimes and graduated? You're lying.

Now if we're going to be real, you need to apply to every job in a 5-10 mile radius. Major related, administrative, assistant bitch, whatever. Also apply to retail/fast food for the time being. If you don't have an interview or phonecall in a month you are cursed and should kill yourself.
>>
>>1205369
And you live in one of the biggest cities in America. You aren't trying hard enough faggot. Grow up and get your hands dirty. Get a fucking job.

How are you paying bills? Are you living with your parents?
>>
>>1205354
>2.9 gpa

Kek. A 3.0 and you'd have been good. I had a 3.0 and had a good job lined up early senior year. Then again I went to the number 1 accounting school at the time
>>
>>1205369
>not going to UIllinois, #2 accounting school in the country

You done fucked up son. Guessing UICuck?
>>
>>1205381
NIU
>>
>>1205388
Not a terrible program, I know average guys from there who do well. Maybe add recruiters on linked in, they are always thirsty for fresh meat. Apply to JNAM, they are hiring underachievers like crazy.
>>
>>1205397
I don't even have a linkedin, is that bad?
>>
Why didn't you do an internship?
>>
Also that 0.02 GPA looks really bad, sorry bro
>>
>>1205401
Dude, make one and add a few randos if have no friends. Fluff it up, put a good pic on there and say that you are looking for work on the headline. Recruiters be on you like a black man on a white woman
>>
>>1205403
Couldn't find any, none contacted me

I actually have some other corporate temp work experience that's honestly just data entry bullshit but nothing specifically related to my major

>>1205372
>And you live in one of the biggest cities in America
That's probably why I couldn't find anything, super competitive.
>>
File: 1460662119657.gif (3 MB, 331x197) Image search: [Google]
1460662119657.gif
3 MB, 331x197
>>1205354
>Why do they push this college meme so hard? I would have been better off working at a fucking Gamestop straight out of High School.

I would be up prolly ~200k hadnt i gone to uni =D no debt at least...

a complete waste of time and resources
>>
>>1205413
Only if you're lucky as shit
>>
What type of accounting job positions are you applying for? It is hard to even get entry work without GL experience.

I am an accountant in the loop.
>>
>>1205410
No, that means there's ALWAYS a job opening, short of a depression
>>
>>1205464
Just anything entry level I could find

I wonder if I would have been better off postponing my graduation and look for internships instead. Graduates can't apply for internships, can they?
>>
how fucked am i if i graduate at 30 years old with a 3.0+ gpa but haven't had a real job for 5 years.

my major is either CIS or some engineering, i'm about to transfer from community college.
>>
Internships are difficult to get during your senior years, because they usually take a year of scheduling. My best advice would be to apply to AP or AR positions if you cannot find entry level staff jobs. It might take a year or so, but you eventually would be able to get a staff spot.
>>
>>1205354
You really need to get your CPA bro, like everything else the extreme thing is becoming the new normal. You can't be a architect anymore, can't be a banker without MBA finance shits getting tough.

Also it might be worth retesting your D's so you can get up to a 3.00 GPA I noticed you can't do a Masters generally without 3.0
>>
>>1205486
Say you went to school to improve your career path, focused solely on learning
>>
>>1205354
>2.98 GPA
There's your problem buddy.

My advice: Find internships or go to your schools career center and see if they can hook you up with potential employers. Ask old professors. Maybe go back for another degree at your school in Finance to display a higher GPA. I doubt you can get a Masters at anywhere other than a shit tier public school with that GPA.

I'm rooting for you, Anon.
>>
>>1205544
My overall GPA at the school was 2.98, but my major program GPA was 3.02

Should I use that instead when applying?
>>
Your resume is shit, you didn't network at all, you fucking suck at what you do, you should have got a co-op like everyone that has a job now
>>
>>1205354
>Why do they push this college meme so hard?
To make you a debt slave...
>>
>>1205545
Yes. Although when the schools receive your transcript they will see that 2.98.

A masters might not help you much though because you have no work experience. You'd just be settling for another entry level bachelors position probably.
>>
>>1205354
post resume

I bet this cuck has fag written all over his resume in cum
>>
Don't go back to school to get another degree, without a job first. The only people that should be going back for a masters (MBA or MST) to get 150 hours to sit for CPA, are typically people with Big 4 internships and contingent job offers.

Leave an email address here and I'll send you an email with subject text from a later post I will make so you know it is me, if you want me to send you some links of jobs that would hire you.
>>
File: HET 1954.jpg (32 KB, 278x400) Image search: [Google]
HET 1954.jpg
32 KB, 278x400
>>1205558
I'd rather not post my resume for some strangers on a Taiwanese finger puppet weaving board to mock.
>>
>>1205354
something must be wrong with your CV or you doing something wrong ,, you are fresh gradute who is get payed 1/3 of the avarge employee any boss in the world would want you in his business to cut costs
>>
>>1205564
Honestly, it would help. Prepare to get embarrassed, your shit btfo, etc. But it really is all in good faith to help.
>>
>>1205564

Pussy nigga
>>
>>1205564
That's because it's probably shit. Also would like a picture of what you look like to laugh at your ugly ass. You also probably can't communicate at all because you're shit at that
>>
>>1205531
i actually make an income selling shit online and on craigslist and have for a couple years but don't know how to put this on a resume without it sounding like bullshit
>>
>>1205589
This is why you idiots can't get jobs. Are you fucking retarded, it's really simple

>Online Ecommerce Business
>I bought and sold items online, I had to maintain customer relations, refurbish items, market myself and my products etc etc

Obviously spice it up a bit but that's the easiest fucking thing to write about, you can say anything you want about it, you can say you did your own bookkeeping and bam entry level accounting position, you can say you had to manage customer relations and market your own products online and bam you got a good sales job or entry level marketing, you could even stretch it for a web developer job. Use your fucking brain.
>>
File: ZsEe1CW.gif (489 KB, 458x260) Image search: [Google]
ZsEe1CW.gif
489 KB, 458x260
>>1205599
>dropping F bombs and insulting people really validates my superiority
>>
>>1205615
Just proving i'm right
>>
>>1205615
>giving a fug what people call you on a neanderthal bitcoin temple
>>
>>1205359
>You exist to be exploited now.
This is the only reason ~95% of people are allowed to live today. Once your meager usefulness is fully automated away, you will be removed.
>>
File: 1414638246125.jpg (15 KB, 640x619) Image search: [Google]
1414638246125.jpg
15 KB, 640x619
>>1205354
Ideally both, but go quantity over quality. Get your resume pristine and create a boilerplate email that's general enough to send anywhere, then send it to at least 100 people per day. Find internal company recruiters (not the recruiting firm recruiters), suck up your pride and cold call or email. Go to Craigslist or recruiting firms if you absolutely must. You'll have an offer within a week.
>>
>>1205381
Ayy lmao, UIUC reppin'
>>
>>1205354

>study liberal arts (philosophy/linguistics)
>get job offer straight out of uni
>making 70k
>enjoy what I do
>having lots of funny/interesting experiences
>after a year of work went on a month and a half paid holiday in Italy

Fuck, OP, I bet you're glad you didn't study a "shit tier" liberal arts degree, aren't you?
>>
>>1205545
Yes. When stating your GPA, state your major GPA if it's higher than your overall GPA.
>>
>>1205892
Kek same here.

What do you do?
>>
>>1205906

Police intelligence analyst.

A lot of people will shit on me for working for the government, but at least I didn't just follow the fucking herd like OP did, and repeat the meme shitting on arts degrees.
>>
>>1205908
Work your way up and try and subvert the jewish influence.
>>
>>1205545
just fucking retake a class bro
>>
>>1205354
well relax... lol accountants make like 50k a year.

it may take a while before you can find someone to pay you a used Mercedes, every year.

this is silly though. most people can't even pass through college.... i think you're just like experiencing like a freak statistical anomaly accident.

Your college has a career department, and should be able to help you out!

gamestop is going to close once the consoles stop using disks... so no, you've done the right thing!

cheers!
>>
>>1205486
Say you were a carpenter and got paid cash dont sound like ur a basement dwelling neet
>>
did you try h&r block?
>>
Does anyone else wish their parents would have bought them $1000 worth of business books covering economics, accounting, marketing, management etc?

Modern day college/university is literally paying for the privilege of a middle class living.

Wish my dad would have told me to go into business. He even read Rich Dad Poor Dad but thinks that building wealth over 50 years is the smart thing to do.
>>
>>1205918

I like the way you think.
>>
>>1205354

Mfw, I'm going to be you in about 2 years.

>CS degree
>Shit school
>Atrocious 2.4 GPA and no internship or related work experience

Kill me now.
>>
>BS in Accounting
what kind of stupid degree is that? hahahahaha
Accounting is part of every normal economics/Business Administration degree
>>
>>1206083
yeah i mean as a normal business degree you'll take an intro course to marketing, IS, finance accounting, macro/micro, some HR stuff probably,

but like... you know... when you choose a major you start taking more advanced classes in the topic.....

retard
>>
>>1206083
I'm graduating with a BS in management since my school doesn't offer an accounting degree. I took everything the school offered and sadly am almost in the same boat as OP.
>>
>>1205354
>2.98 gpa

that explains why you're having trouble find a job
>>
>>1205354

>Choosing a meme major

You dug your own grave
>>
>>1205354
Have you contacted the school's career services?
To find employment, gone to job fairs?

Maybe thought about continuing your education?
>>
>>1206053
Dude, are you me? I'm in the same situation. I feel like the only way to get out this situation is to build a good portfolio but that's hard in itself. Do you have any coding projects?
>>
>>1208063

he probably hasnt
>>
>>1208143

Other than ones from school? Nope.

I don't even know what kind of projects employers would want. Scale wise. And I wouldn't know what to do them on.

A game? Most of my game ideas are AAA-esque and I don't even have interest in going into that industry.

A website? About what?

And I was recently in the process of making a web crawler but came to find out that the site doesn't like bots. So that goes out the window.

All I want is to get a decent paying job like 40k min straight out of college(the more the better obviously, but I think I could make do with that), save up and invest in real estate so I can live a comfy life and chill.

Also I don't know about you, but several people have told me to just switch to IT, and I just hate that idea, cause to me it seems like a step down from CS, and if I wanted to do that I would've took the easier route and 1) get certs, go the military, and get security clearance or 2) get a degree in IT. Just seems like a waste to use a CS degree for IT.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.