[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>unpaid internships How is this legal? It's literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: 1409768689961.jpg (11 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1409768689961.jpg
11 KB, 251x242
>unpaid internships
How is this legal? It's literally indentured servitude.
>>
no one is making you take part in the internship pleb
>>
>mfw a private equity firm tried using unpaid college students to source deals

Most pathetic bunch of 30-somethings I had ever met.
>>
why wouldn't it be legal?

it works because you are probably too fucking stupid to learn the proper skills until it's too late, and at least you'll be in the environment you want for the time being, which you obviously value.

an internship that requires literally any skill or experience will pay more than or equal to entry level.
>>
>>1192308
>>1192283
internships are forced through university, it's not like you have a choice to say "no".
I got paid €1,50 an hour which is something, but most internships often give the big F for graduate students. It's modern slavery.
>>
>>1192406

So you need to do work, for a degree, and you could refuse if you wanted to.

It sounds like you're getting paid in something other than cash. tbqh f.am
>>
>>1192428
Often people are required to take time off work to do internships, meaning they already get paid a lot less.
I'm not saying internships should pay full wage, but they should definitely compensate a little for the things students are dropping in return.

Otherwise it's just free labor, literally. Your average job doesn't give a fuck about your study, they're just looking for a way to make free money.
Cheap labor > free labor. You're still making fuckton profit.
>>
>>1192406
They get cheap workers, you get """experience""". It's not fair but that's how shit works. In Germany you get paid minimum wage for internships since two years ago the Man made it illegal for any work to be paid less than minimum wage. Result = happier interns? No. Result = no company offers internships anymore. So don't complain but rather see it as a painful way to pimp your CV.
>>
>>1192406

>internships are forced through university

nobody forced anybody to go to uni
>>
I got paid 1500 Euros a month during my internship and I probably only had to spend about 20 hours of my 40 hour work week actually working.

Thank you based Netherlands.
>>
>>1192469
WHEREEEEEEEE? I live there too and I get 150 a month at a lab
>>
>>1192469

A small firm in Amsterdam that provided consulting for international development projects. I have no idea why they paid me that much (or why they gave me such little work to do), all the bosses were really friendly and I don't think it bothered them that much to pay a living wage.
>>
>>1192483

was for >>1192478
>>
>>1192483
Because some companies or organizations aren't total dickheads and have plenty of money.

Je hebt wel geluk gehad man. Stages in Nederland zijn zo fucked als het maar kan.
>>
>>1192283
>need job for experience
>need experience for job
>the unpaid internship is the only option to gain experience
>>
interns aren't really expected to do much of anything in most cases, or so it was in all 3 of my internships before i finally got an entry level job. if anything an internship is really just an invitation to fuck around in their offices and network. stop looking at it as "labor"; quite frankly thats a joke.
>>
>>1192406
Its all just greed, These ceos make millions and they cant afford to pay some kid minimum wage? That in itself is retarded
>>
>>1192277
>mutual agreements of any kind should be illegal

Get out of here, commie scum.
>>
>volunteer in field for "experience"
>it's two hours a week for 6 weeks
>literally nothing, but resume looks good, sure as hell beats a 20 hr/week internship that's practically a real job
>get temp-to-hire work
>get paid for the equivalent work experience of an internship
>???
>according to my classmates, I'm a failure
>according to me, I don't work for free and they can eat a dick with their fancy (((internships)))

Unpaid internship... for real nigger? I got rent and transit costs to pay.
>>
>>1192601
Is this a joke or how people actually think?
>>
>>1192654
It's how Bernie voters "think".
>>
>>1192277
>unpaid internships
>taking one
unpaid ones are literally memes where you ferry coffee back and forth. worthless
peperollingeyes.jpg
>>
tfw engineering
tfw getting paid 13-20 an hour (i'm above the median) to do do work full time this summer
>>
>>1192601
what if the ceo had to do an internship when he was a kid
>>
>>1192792
>tfw MBB internship
>tfw 12,000 per month
>>
>>1192406
1. slavery is not always a bad thing.
2. it's not anything close to slavery, it has nothing in common with actual fucking slavery. learn the language that you use to communicate.
3. if you don't want to learn or participate then just wash dishes. even the people who excel at shit will use their skills for free as a favor or hobby. if you just discovered that life comes with challenges and you think you can just call it slavery, then take a nap and talk to mommy in the morning, she'll calm you down.
>>
>>1192277
Because the government wants free labour.
>>
>>1192793
He most likely didnt cause they were living in completely different times than we are now.
>>
>>1192277
Unpaid internships are illegal. I made like $25 an hour at my first internship.
>>
>>1193219
Depends where you live, Amerifriendo.
>>
>>1192277
You think that's bad?

These days we have people paying companies to get them unpaid internships.
>>
File: image.jpg (248 KB, 1097x1185) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248 KB, 1097x1185
I make $20 an hour at my internship with 401k matching. Shit GPA too. (Accounting). Only 20 years old as well.
>>
>>1193276
sheeeet this gives me hope
>>
>>1193306
>>1193276

27.5 an hour + free housing (taxable benefit tho rip) + free company transportation to and from work + paid OT if I work more than 40 hours a week or even 8 hours a day

last year (with the same company) they put me in my own office that had a lock and I would literally just lock myself in and take naps

im in accounting as well lol

EZ LIFE BOIS
>>
>>1193276
>>1193392
Good on you lads

20-30 hourly may not sound like much but it's a good chunk of change

We're all gonna make it
>>
>>1192534
this really, businesses have learned to do more with less and the bottom steps of the ladder have been cut off, you really do need those internships
>>
File: process.jpg (37 KB, 578x325) Image search: [Google]
process.jpg
37 KB, 578x325
>>1193392
I am this guy
>>1193276

To be honest 20 an hour is very average, and most of my friends make around your pay.

Also I believe its illegal not to pay someone 1.5x rate every hour after 40 they work per week, right?
>>
>>1193406
lol what if we are coworkers

>>1193406
in my area, labor laws state some professions are exempt of mandatory overtime, mostly things like lawyers, CPAs, dentists, engineers etc

>>1193397
already working on maxing my TSFA its gonna be a dank life
>>
>>1193421
I was under the impression it was for anyone who wasn't under salary. AKA all the interns and secretaries.

What accounting are you getting into?

I'm currently in risk management/forensics and possibly going for my CFE just for resume candy (only takes a few weeks to study for)
>>
>>1192277

OP, you gotta do stuff you dont like. nobody is willing to pay for enjoyable things. If you can force yourself to endure shitty work that society needs done very badly, you will be successful. Your success is directly proportional to the shittiness and importance of your work.
>>
>>1193455
nobody is willing to pay for *you to do* enjoyable things.
>>
>>1192283
I mean they are, I have to have a certain amount of work hours for my degree and to get a job I definitely need internship experience.

I got lucky and got into a paid internship but the whole internship system is stupid. Internship should be college, nothing is better than on job training.
>>
>>1192436
>Result = no company offers internships anymore.
So how is it I'm an intern atm?

t. German in Germany interning at a German office of a German company based in Germany
>>
>>1192283
Yes they are.
>>
>>1192436
No, they can afford minimum wage. They dont because supply and demand means there will always be little shits willing to work for free.

Not even lefty fantasies, this is some ntr shit you are posting.
>>
I did a Journalism internship for one month and even they paid 1000€

git gud
>>
>>1192490

Mijn zusje werkt van 08:00 tot 17:30 als stagair bij een tandartspraktijk in het smerige rotterdam, voor een vette 0,- per maand.

En er word gewoon verwacht dat je je uiterste best doet. Wat een lachertje
>>
>>1192432
This i work in HVAC and the company i work for hired 8 apprentices to get the grant bonuses then sent them out paired up with qualified engineers and told them to say they were fully qualified if anyone asked so they could charge them out to customers at £60hr whilst paying the apprentices £2.65hr

they had no intention of keeping any of them, the ones that passed the college course they just verbally and mentally abused until they quit and then went right back to hiring again, i know you still have to pay national insurance and the like for apprentices but i bet our MD made a good £60k doing that shit
>>
>>1192277
>It's literally indentured servitude.

"Hi Bob I've decided I wish to resign this internship as I've found a better opportunity elsewhere."

"Well Joe I appreciate you bringing this to me but I am going to have to decline your resignation and flog you for attempt to escape. I'm sure you understand."
>>
>>1192277
Kill me senpai. This is me right now just knowing that I won't make it. I have to work full time and I just know that a cs internship with my current schedule is suicide. On the flip side I'm looking at a cozy 45k salary with industry leading benefits in 3-4 years from a F500 company in retail. If I can just push through these shit years I'll be set.
>>
>>1193667
You do realize that happens right? Some internships charge money for the oppurotunity of doing work for them, and if you defualt they make sure you never get a job.
>>
>>1192277
It should be illegal

>>1192283
> If people allow abuse to themselves it completely absolves the abuser of blame

Well lets bring back child labor while we are at it. Hey they signed up for it!
>>
>>1193667
lolbertarian detected
>>
>>1193728
children cannot legally enter [employment] contracts themselves you fucking retard

>>1193435
im mainly working by creating monthly financial statements in a private company. also a little bit of business analysis in the controller department

to give you an idea of the size, around 30% of it was bought for $9B just recently
>>
>>1193713

>You do realize that happens right?

I'm going to need some kind of link to interns being flogged for attempting to quit.

Nobody is forcing you to be an intern, you go into it of your own volition. If you are stupid enough to pay to work that's your problem.
>>
>poor kid gets scholarship for good degree
>can't afford to do unpaid internship in NYC because parents aren't rich as fuck
>falls behind his peers

and people say privilege doesn't exist, fucking cis shitlords
>>
File: laughing-black-guys.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [Google]
laughing-black-guys.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>1192406
>internships are forced through university, it's not like you have a choice to say "no".

Berniefagsplz
>>
>>1194134
Unpaid internships are illegal.
>>
my company uses interns to do the job that our competitors hires a team of mexicans to do

>nice degree you got there, son. want to get some 'experience' doing menial tasks that jose the illegal immigrant usually does? you'll learn everything about labor that you'll never see or do again. 2 YEARS EXPERIENCE MINIMUM
>>
>>1192277
I was OK with the idea until I made over £4000 for a company in eight weeks and only got a £50 gift card at the end.
>>
File: 1266797294074.jpg (95 KB, 526x472) Image search: [Google]
1266797294074.jpg
95 KB, 526x472
>>1192469
FML, 250€/month here at a small accounting firm internship.
>>
>>1194169
>you always have the option to throw away your career
>>
>All internships in IT here are paid
>Placements are VERY well paid if you snatch a good company (Friend has a 27k placement at JP morgans)
>>
>>1194292
Wow you made 2k a month for a couple months. You are such a superstar.

Fucking eurocuck.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.