[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what price would you buy Silver, Gold or other precious metals,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
At what price would you buy Silver, Gold or other precious metals, and why?
>>
Prices would have to really plummet for me to get into something so speculative.
>>
but why tho
>>
>>1186590
The vast majority of /biz/ are contrarian assholes who believe they earn neat guy points by criticizing or opposing to investing into gold or silver, and most popular mainstream instruments.

As for this specific question, I would tell you this: silver and gold, unlike cryptcoins or stocks, can't go into "bankrupt" or value to disappear all together. While there are big variations in price through time, is fairly stable in short terms, so is easy to determine tendencies. Usually it goes low when everything is ok, because people think gold and silver are good for apocalypse scenarios (which is a really dumb idea) so people are selling it right and left. And the opposite is truth: gold and silver rise their price when shit is about to hit the fan, because everybody is panicking and trying to change the "soon to be worthless" dollars into gold and silver.

Free tip: silver have averaging a $15.04 price for the last year. If it were to drop below $14.33, it would be an insta-buy for me, because that's a very rare situation. It reached those prices, iirc, in september and november last year. And as for high prices go, I would sell it at $15.75, which happened in june 2015 and past march.

Do your own homework for gold and platinum.
>>
>>1186149
according to biz, gold's true value is 10 cents per ozt
>>
File: 1434243329505.jpg (24 KB, 295x400) Image search: [Google]
1434243329505.jpg
24 KB, 295x400
>>1186610
>>
>>1186149
Anything below $25 silver and $2000 gold is a fantastic buy in my opinion. Below 50/5k is still a decent buy. Below 100/10k hold. Anything above sell, sell, sell.

But it really depends on your time frame and what you see as the future of the global economy.

If the spot price of a pm I'm holding doubles but my cost of living doubles too, I've only gained wealth in the sense that everyone has lost purchasing power if they were only holding dollars.
>>
>>1186149
You don't really make money long term with pms. In 1964 when quarters were made of 90% silver, with $1 you could buy 3 gallons of gas and a pack of smokes. With that same dollar in 2016, 4 quarters of 90% silver are worth (.18t oz *4*spot) or about $11, with that you've got just enough money to buy 3 gallons of gas and a pack of smokes.

Of course there's ups and downs, and many, many factors that are not directly accounted for, but that's been the general trend for quite a while. That's what people mean when they say gold is a hedge against inflation. I think everyone should hold some amount of pms, how you see the economy faring over the rest of your life should inform the % of your income you want to invest.
>>
>>1186149

50-60% of current prices. Once the fox news viewers realize they're the bag holders.
>>
>>1187095

I never understood the premise of that commercial.

Buy gold, its gonna appreciate in value. Paper currency is unreliable.

then why are you selling gold for paper currency? Out of the goodness of your heart?
>>
>>1186149
i already bought some silver. i shall see how this goes. if it gets below $13 i will buy a lot of it.

silver has about $22-24 where mining starts getting profitable. there will be shortage soon enough.

it won't go to the moon but $28 is possible.
>>
>>1187086
true long run they are stable when inflation adjusted.

one problem is official inflation percentage is bullshit, i think metals can even lose value on the long run.

you really have to buy them when they are undervalued.
>>
>>1187118
Well yeah. If you bought silver at $50 an ounce you'd be SOL at least in the short term, but thats why you have to price them in something other than dollars. How many oz of silver buys an oz of gold? How many oz of gold does the average home cost? What is the ratio between gold and DJIA?

The value of a dollar is relative to what it can buy. But the value of most commodities are fairly stable when valued in something other that dollars. For instance, you could value land by the acre in oil by the barrel.
>>
>>1187134
if you price everything in everything else you go crazy.
that is why money was invented.
>>
>>1187143
Yes, but you need a way to tell if something is a good deal or not because dollars are not a good way to value something over time. I'm not saying to start pricing your morning coffee in tablespoons of sugar, but as it pertains to investing in pms its incredibly valuable.

If someone is interested in buying gold/silver it is valuable to know that the historic ratio between the two is 16:1 because the current ratio is over 78:1. That would lead one to imply that silver is a much better buy than gold, but it doesn't say anything about what the future price of either will be. Assuming that the current ratio is poised for a correction the following are likely scenarios, silver could rise while gold stays the same, gold could fall while silver stays the same, both could rise but silver rises more by percentage, or both fall with gold falling more by percentage.
>>
>>1187058
>$2000 gold

so literally any time? Gold has never been above 1900

retard
>>
>>1187179
Governments have been printing money like there's no tomorrow but there has been no significant inflation. The Fed, ECB, etc all have a stated goal of achieving 2% inflation each year.
That means that 2k gold is inevitable, but that does not mean that $2000 when it happens will be worth the same as $2000 today.
>>
>>1187183
so you're saying gold... is a bad investment? Because of inflation?
>>
>>1187208
No, I'm saying that gold is not an investment, it's a store of value over time.

See>>1187086
>>
>>1187213
couldnt it be an investment too?
>>
>>1187467
It depends what you mean by the word investment. Owning gold isn't like owning stock in a company. When you own stock in a company you are giving them your money so they can use it to further their own interests and thereby increase the value of your stock. For example, you invest in Apple stock with the hope that they use your money toward inventing the next iPhone. If I give them $100 for a stock in their company and tomorrow they release a game changing product, the value of the stock increases because the new product adds more value to the company.

Gold on the other hand is not valuable because of what it produces, it is valuable because of the effort it takes to produce it. If it takes 1000 man hours in prospecting, mining, and minting, to produce a single gold eagle, that means that it stores the time value of 1000 hours whatever that may be.

You can invest in a mining company in the hopes that they will use that money to dig up some gold in some more efficient way, and if they do it increases the value of that company. But fundamentally gold itself cannot be an investment in the same way an iPhone is not an investment.
>>
so how much longer is this whole dollar scheme gonna chug along, do we think?
>>
>>1187524

Top fucking kek at this whole post

The delusion is real
>>
>>1187524
Gold can be used as an investment, you can also indirectly invest in gold price trends through gold ETFs. When you buy stock oh get ownership/equity in the company.a companies bank account isn't increased every time you buy stock. If you buy preferred stock or corporate bonds that's a different story, as they are debt obligations for the company.
>>
>>1187177
i'm betting on both rise but silver much more (as usual)
>>
>>1186610
>instant buy at 14$
it's gonna hit 8$ by 2018 just u wait
>>
>>1187524
Buying a stock isnt giving the company money. You give money to the other guy who sold the stock.
>>
>>1188241
>Baby's first troll posts.

Aaawww, the little one believes he's shitposting, how cute.
>>
>>1187114
>there will be shortage soon enough.

They have been saying this since 2010. And honestly I hope this shortage never happens. It would be good for those who own physical silver, but for the society in general it would be a disaster.
>>
>>1186149
now is a good price to buy silver.. Its not really an investment, more of a long-term storage of wealth..

Dont believe the shills that say silver will go 10k an ounce next tuesday.
>>
>>1186149
Personally if silver went to something like $5/oz I would probably buy some.
>>
>>1188447
ever since the moment i bought my silver it has been going up and up.

of course that doesn't mean anything but my penis is erect.
>>
>>1188452
i have to disagree on both account.
you can most likely double your money on silver short term, long term it yields nothing inflation adjusted.

>heavy speculation on silver
>prices go down
>mining is not profitable
>mines close
>silver shortage
>speculators get/keep physical
>paper silver collapse
>prices suddenly explodes
>mining is profitable again
>silver is now abundant
>prices consolidate

simple as that.
>>
>>1188241
yup, who needs the most conductive metal on earth in today's stone age
>logic
>>
>>1188463
at $5 i would buy all of it lol
>>
why do folks say its going to go down?
>>
>>1189550
>double your money on silver

what kind of fantasy land is this? Last time this happened was in the 1980s
>>
>precious metal fags
>>
>>1189900
>fiat currency fags
>>
>>1188241
$8 might be worth a lot more than it is now after a global currency reset.

People fail to realize that the dollar value of gold/silver is just a representation of its purchasing power. It will always retain that purchasing power even in an economical collapse
>>
>>1189888
monetary value goes in cycles and cycles repeat over and over
>>
>>1190116
But does the purchasing power of our money change THAT much that fast? Silver was $14.XX about a month ago roughly. As of right now its $16.16
>>
>>1190127
Yes if we have an actual collapse where your currency is inflated to the point that you need a wheelbarrow full of bills to buy a loaf of bread. The silver/gold you own wont be measured in a dollar value.
>>
>>1190127
>>1190131
Or if they inflate the price of precious metals to match the gold standard then your gold and silver will inflate to the moon.
>>
>>1186149
Im buying gold at 1000 right before the next stock market crash next year
also buying mutual funds at the valley, should sink to 9000, sell when it gets back up to 18000
>>
>>1189888
well i bought at $15 and i think it will touch $30 before goes back to $24 that's my bet.

i'm a bit late to the party i could have bought at $13 but i was asleep in january.
>>
>>1190133
gold and silver are artificially kept low price via market manipulation which is basically shorting paper gold and silver.

if for some reason people enmasse want to collect the physical stuff it will alone send the prices to the moon.
>>
if some apocalyptic shit was happening, i'd rather have another gun, seeds for a garden, water, food, or bullets instead of fucking gold or silver.

it would be worth fucking nothing. i can just shoot you and take your stupid metal. clearly my gun and bullets are worth more.
>>
>>1191228
yeah yeah sure but it's also equally possible that you die of horrible diarrhea and i take your gun and ammo and shoot your momma with it.
>>
Has anyone here invested in ammo before?
>>
>>1191089
sauce pls
>>
>>1192187
sorry my gf sucked me dry yesterday
>>
>>1191294
yeah yeah sure but it's also equally possible that his momma has a bigger gun and guns you the fuck down.
>>
>>1193172
yeah yeah sure but it's equally possible that she forgot where she put that gun and tries to shoot me with the tv remote unable to get up from the couch cause she is too fat and too old for that.
>>
okay back to silver
i have precum dripping all day from silvers price action this week.

where do you think the peak will be anons? will it go down before the climax?
>>
Precious metal speculation is fucking stupid. You will NEVER get the market price of gold back if you try to sell your bullion to a dealer, and if you aren't physically holding the precious metal yourself then why the fuck are you "investing" in it in the first place.
>>
>>1193351
How do you get the most back for it when you sell? Sell direct to another individual?
>>
>>1193368
that's the best way just be careful of resentful bulls
>>
File: ss.png (112 KB, 717x479) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
112 KB, 717x479
>>1193351
>You will NEVER get the market price of gold back if you try to sell your bullion to a dealer

Pic related.. taken 5 mins ago.
>>
>>1193423
he is talking about the premium on physical metals...
you not gonna get that back unless you sell to a private person competing with traders on price.
>>
>>1193512
Huh? There's a premium on everything. Real estate (closing fees and transfer taxes - realtor’s fees when you resell), stocks (bid/ask spread, broker fees and commissions), cars (depreciation), food (retail mark-up), clothes (retail mark-up), fuel (extra government taxes included in price) and on and on.

What is the distinction between precious metals anything else you buy? I don't get it.
>>
>>1193566
>What is the distinction between precious metals anything else you buy?
metals don't lose value over time?
>>
>>1193566
The premium on trading physical gold makes it uneconomic compared to trading paper gold.

I can't think of a single reason to own physical gold. Perhaps if you were worried about a Nazi style takeover and fleeing the country.

That's not very likely and I would join them.
>>
Right meow
>>
>>1193682
you do realize there is almost 300 ious for every ounce of physical gold on the paper gold market.
do you think when everybody calls in their shit you will be the one that gets the gold?
>>
>>1194451
do you think you can still exchange those for gold? lol
>>
I haven't found a good place to buy coins, most places don't ship to my country
>>
>>1194674
in theory you could but it's damn near impossible.
that is why i only buy physical. because when the paper gold implodes the papers will worth next to nothing and the physical stuff will go to moon.
>>
I'll buy it when it is below my P/E threshold.
>>
>>1195510
P/E is Pain/Erection?
>>
>>1189888

Last time that happened was 2011 senpai.

Where have you been?
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.