[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Contemplating about getting a full sleeve >wondering if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11
File: sciencebro.jpg (34 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
sciencebro.jpg
34 KB, 550x550
>Contemplating about getting a full sleeve
>wondering if "you wont find a job if you get a tattoo" is still valid

Seriously? I though the baby boomers are dying and/or retired anyways?

I cant really imagine a Fortune 500 company telling an employee to strip down to see if he has any tattoos.

Discuss
>>
>>1184423
Depends what job
>>
>>1184423
WTF is there to discuss, if you are a fucking rocket scientist that has the know-how to land a rocket on a comet then, ffs man you can transplant a dick on your chin forehead and you'll still get a job, if you are however a bronie faping neet who's skills are the knowledge of the my lil' pony lore and family ties, then no you won't be getting a job that is customer related. the only job you'll get is a job where a human being will not be able to see you.
>>
Whether the tats interfere depends on your skills. If you're just a dime a dozen college student that wants to express his special snowflakeness, then you'll just end up looking like trailer trash with a full sleeve.

You can't use a literal rocket scientist genius as justification of you being successful with one. That guy had great future prospects long before he got his tats.
>>
>>1184429
What kind of jobs would you be barred from?

If I have to guess its one of those jobs where you have to talk to clients/customers, no? The dude at my OP dont really have to talk to people much. I bet that motherfucker lives in the shop with no windows on while working on his science shit.
>>
There are a couple things that go into the play: the level of professionalism required, and location of tattoos. If you work in a business where you wear suits 24/7, then you could probably hide a sleeve alright. You are correct, they're not going to ask you to strip. It's not maybe as valid as it used to be, but many companies are still irked by visible tattoos. Not so much because management is offended, but to prevent clients from being potentially offended.
>>
>>1184423
>misspells "tattoos"

That about sums up my experiences with "body art" people.
>>
File: header.jpg (66 KB, 930x412) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
66 KB, 930x412
>>1184433
>>1184434

Well who do you want me to post?
>>
unless its some kind of hipster startup company, plainly visible tattoos are going to be an issue a lot of professional environments
>>
>>1184423
Tattoos make you look dumb, that's the truth. I've known smart people with tattoos that made them look like trailer trash. I don't have anything against tattoos but they just don't look good and I wouldn't expect an employer to give me any preference if I had them. Plus they make you look immature, even though you may not be.

Most professionally employed people I know have no visible tattoos or outrageous piercings. My current employer has a strict policy on having no visible tattoos but they still hire people sleeves, you just have to wear long sleeve shirts. Avoid hand and neck tattoos though, those are employment suicide unless you want to work at Walmart.
>>
>>1184457
This. I would just stick with something I can cover up with a polo shirt, in case your boss (who is probably old, and WASPy as fuck) decides to bring you somewhere warm.

Unless you were in the military. Vets get special pass as tattoos are part of the tradition
>>
>>1184423
Only if you are extremely intelligent and getting a job where there is no customer contact and requires a high level of skill that very few can do.

Most people hate tats. I wouldn't want some faggot with tattoos doing my finances. You look pathetic
>>
>>1184423
theres nothing to discuss
public perception has passed judgement and people with tatoos are stupid according to them. Guess what, employers care about public perception
>>
>>1184496
>>1184477

You guys must live in the Southern US, maybe the Midwest in the backwoods somewhere, most people don't give a shit. And as implied, it really won't matter since if you got a real a job under no circumstance will you see your coworker's naked arms.

>Haven't seen any of my coworkers' arms and I've been working there for 6 years
>>
>>1184439
>There are a couple things that go into the play: the level of professionalism required, and location of tattoos.
it's as simple as this. it's why celebrities are allowed to be eccentric. if you are literally the best at what you do, you are valuable. if you refuse to wear pants, are tattooed, shave one eyebrow, and can only work in an asbestos lab, you're not gonna be able to compete.
>>
From general experience in multiple jobs across multiple industries

>people with visible tattoos are utter dicks to work with. I would never hire one because they will be a disruption
>People with easily covered tatoos are hardworking people who have a fun side
>people without tattos can vary in work ethic, but are generally good people
>>
>>1184423
You'll be fine just avoid neck tattoos and gauges, those cannot be concealed.
>>
>>1184423
I am 21 and I look down on people with tattoos, especially if they cannot be easily covered.
>>
>>1184438
A friend of mines dad owns a medical insurance company. They received an application from an ivy league grad who was perfect across the board, had all qualifications and aced the interview.
On his way out they noticed he had a tattoo and had to remove him as a prospect.

Definitely an extreme case but these things happen all the time.

In all honesty there is no reason whatsoever to get a tattoo especially if employability is a concern.
>>
>>1184602
>and I look down on people with tattoos
holyshittopkek
>>
>>1184708
I especially look down on you.

Scum.
>>
>>1184708

smokers and people with tattoos are equally bad. If you ask them about their dumb decision, they give the same reasons
>>
Tattoos are just unprofessional.
It's okay if you can hide them, but I would not hire someone who had tats visible at all times.

That said, there is a guy in my neighbourhood who is completely covered in tats, even on his face. Guy has a skull tattooed on the back of his head.
He owns a husky and 2 american bull terriers and everyday I see him on a cityroller being pulled around at like 30kph by those 3 huge dogs, before he gets into his Renault twizy to drive to work.
I'd hire the guy because he's genuine and a nice person, but I would not let him talk to clients.
>>
>>1184457
>Tattoos make you look dumb, that's the truth. I've known smart people with tattoos that made them look like trailer trash.

Tattoos also make you look hot.
>>
You won't get a white collar job with a showing tattoo.
Fact.
it's fucking disgusting and marks you as lowbrow.
>>
Tattoos are great. They show a potential employer that you are only capable of making stupid, short term decisions.
>>
>>1184423
Fuck off you special snowflake millenial retard

Off yourself
>>
>>1184777
This, non-visible tattoos are game. They don't care about that, but if you have a naked pinup or a fucking kids face on your arm you already look plain stupid and are potential for decisions you don't think about.
Companies don't want flamboyant people who are snowflakes, it's a lot to do with their perception to the public and whole mentality. In IT and Technical work, tattoos are no problem. With anything that has customer service and a lot of socializing involved, it's a "No" due to cultural differences internationally and wanting to look neutral. If you have four applicants with equal qualifications and one of them has a full sleeve and you know 5% of your clients don't like tattooed customer service, it's obvious you won't hire that person.
How's this even still a question? In certain fields it doesn't matter, but unfortunately in certain fields it matters. Whining about it is stupid and is just proof you don't understand how the world works.
>>
>>1184438
Any job where you interact with outside people. Even several local gas stations do not allow viable tattoos for cashiers. Let alone anything finance or business that either meets clients, customers, or business partners.

Most companies don't give a shit, though, if you are working firmly behind the scenes. Or if your tats are not visable.
>>
Also.

I am just old enough that when was a child and got some wannabe bad ass so rebellion wow tattoo culture had Not yet shifted to its current vegan ironic snowflake state. Back then alot of old school tattoo artists would refuse to put first tattoos ( or second or third) in visable places thst could not be covered with normal clothing. I even remember this tattoo covered weirdo lecturing me about not getting a tattoo that could limit future employment, and how one should not go down that road until they have their life figured out and are sure visable tattoos would fit into that. Pretty good advice really. I later got to know him and he is actually a pretty /biz/ kind of guy. Extremely sucessfull business owner, smart with money, and really had figured out what he wanted out of life and his business.

As time went on, I was kind of horrified to see the change in how young people thought about tattoos, and how tattoo "artists" applied them. Tattoos were no longer for bikers and white trash, but for hipster English lit students. 18 year old college girls stopped getting tramp stamps and started getting sleeves. Kids were going in for first tattoos on forearms, wrists, and hands. Hands especially used to carry a major taboo. Now I am seeing kids, especially girls, not even old enough to drink but with tattooed hands. Good luck covering that for that dream job interview

What I don't know is if this is happening because kids are dumber, or if the growing number of tattoo " artists" carry less scruples.
>>
>>1185190
Both probably. I went shopping with my fiancé the other day and every single one of the saleswomen at the store had sleeves, I couldn't believe it. I don't understand how college kids can get these entire sleeves, like what are they thinking and how can you afford it.

I understand getting ink, I have a back piece, a family tattoo on my upper tricep and the number of days we dated before I proposed over my heart, but every single one of those was designed and places with the explicit plan that I could put on a good fitting polo and no one would ever know.
>>
File: 1371344939068.gif (484 KB, 230x199) Image search: [Google]
1371344939068.gif
484 KB, 230x199
I cant wrap my head around this "issue" ITT like do people still seriously think tattoos are about being "rebel" and "bad"? The way tattoos are now as mentioned by other posters everyone and their mom has it.

Are we in the 50s again? WTF is going on?

I understand that tattoos used to have a shock factor about him like
>oh shit, I wouldnt fuck with that guy
But nowadays its more like
>lolok he/she got a tattoo, cool story bro, btw did you get my email? And is Outlook shitting on you as well? WTF, Imma call IT...
>>
>>1185242
The way I see it, get ink, but be smart with it. They are permanent so getting them in places like your hands, lower arms, neck, face, show a lack of thinking about the future to most people. It's less about being bad or a rebel and more about projecting an image of not thinking about big decisions or the future.
>>
>>1185242
Line up ten people at random with a shitload of tattoos, and ten people at random without any tattoos. Put them in any random corporate job.

Who do you think is going to be more reliable and outperform? Are you fucking retarded?

Smokers and people with visible tattoos are degenerate lowlifes not fit to be garbage men. I would never marry a girl with some random slutty tattoo.

Sure there are good hard working dependable people covered in tats, but why would you want to risk something as important as your business on what is probably a losing proposition?
>>
>>1184423
>>1185242
Moreover, the jobs that you want (the high salary, high expansion types) you would be wearing long sleeve shirts 24/7 so whatever.

I would get a 3/4 or 1/2 sleeve just so I can roll up my sleeves, sometimes.
>>
File: uncreative stock photo.jpg (36 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
uncreative stock photo.jpg
36 KB, 600x480
>>1185252
>Line up ten people at random with a shitload of tattoos, and ten people at random without any tattoos. Put them in any random corporate job

I wouldnt know because most people that work corporate jobs wear suits. So I would have to resort to looking at their credentials desu
>>
>>1185251
This

Tattoos does not mean "you have commitment" it means you are an idiot with conviction, like a smoker

I know several employers who have the same rule of thumb
"I do not hire fat people, tattooed people, or ugly women"
These kind of people are always a burden at the workplace
>>
>>1185267
>hiring women at all

Your friends are retarded.
>>
>>1185267
Yeah, my bosses were shocked when they found out I have a back piece. I got a bunch of blood on my shirt at work and I was in the bathroom with it in the sink hoping I could stop the stain from setting when one came in to check on me. My under shirt was just a tank top and he could see part of my tattoo. Blew his mind he said from the way I act and perform at work he would of never seen me as the "tattoo type." He did kind of like it though so I didn't loose any respect.
>>
>>1184423
I'm an oldfag and boomer (in b4 "fuck off and die" and "you ruined our country" type youthful butthurt) and I wouldn't have a tattoo but a lot of the young professional men and women in my business casual industry have tats. I've seen them on the hands/ankles of women and on the biceps of men. My people need to make money and if someone who is tatted up can make money I have no problem with tats.

Facial tat wearing applicants won't receive full attention for in person with customer action but qualified individuals would be good in back room operations.
>>
>>1185276

>loose any respect

Good thing it was McDonalds
>>
>>1185275
They need a pretty face in the office to pickup calls and keep people motivated, eyecandy in the workplace is the only option.
Also they are great for low end sales jobs and fill the affirmative action quota
>>
>>1185279
Costco corporate office actually. ICS
>>
>>1184423

You are young and dumb, and think a tattoo will be a beautiful form of art and self expression.

It isn't. It's stupid and looks like you drew on yourself.

We all do stupid things, but a tattoo is a permanent reminder of a stupid thing. And whats worse is that they are addictive, so you just keep adding stupidity to your stupid thing.

Here's one tip I will give you for free: If you intend to get a tattoo, get a henna tattoo if your idea first. If after 30 days you still want that tattoo then go for it! Connect four!
>>
>>1185320

How else will people know how much of a special snowflake I am if I don't get the same generic tattoos that everyone else has?
>>
>>1184423
even some of the best tattoo artists don't have a single tattoo on their body. this says a lot. don't get a tattoo. they're fucking stupid and the novelty will wear off.
>>
>>1185339
>not designing your own unique tattoo

Why would you do something like that?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3284x4650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3284x4650
>pic related, this guy got a tattoo

That's King George V for all you uneducated plebes. He got a pretty generic tattoo btw srsly, look it up
>>
>>1185465

>taking a person born into wealth and status as a rolemodel for achieving succes
>>
>blah blah blah customer service blah blah hide the sleeve blah blah blah

You're all missing the point.

A huge amount of your success in life is based on the immediate subconscious reactions that people have when they meet you. Tattoos influence those reactions one way or the other. If someone has a negative subconscious reaction to tattoos (and many people do) then they'll be less likely to hire you - even if they don't consciously care about body modification.
>>
File: 39365.jpg (29 KB, 690x690) Image search: [Google]
39365.jpg
29 KB, 690x690
>>1185480
>from my employer's handbook
>Tattoos in Japan are associated with persons involved in organized crime, and are definitely not in line with the image and expectations of a teacher or sensei. You will be expected to keep tattoos covered while on Interac business, which may include wearing shorts and a T-shirt for school activities such as Sports Day. In addition, you will need to keep tattoos covered in the communities where you are teaching and living. you have tattoos, consider carefully if you are able to keep them covered. Note that cover-up make-up is often not sufficient in Japan’s hot, humid climate, and you will be moving around a lot while working with the children. Sleeves, collars and other clothing must cover the tattoo even with arms raised, kneeling, or bowing.

Damn it feels good that I didn't get an Adventure Time character or some arrows or some gay shit etched onto my body back in college just because every other fag was paying an artist to express their individuality.
>>
>>1184423
tattoos are nothing more than a physical reflection of a shitty personality.
>>
People who have strong feelings against tattoos are the same side of the same coin as those people who think they are unique snowflakes for getting a generic-ass tattoo
>>
>>1185457

Are you implying there is such a thing as a unique tat anymore

There's going to be at least fifty dude bros at the gym with any "unique" design you come up with
>>
>>1184423

If you wanna get tattoos you better get them where they can't be seen when wearing a short sleeved shirt, just my general advice.
>>
>>1185530
>I'm gonna get a tattoo and it's going to be so cool
>but I'm going to put it somewhere no one can see it
What's the point in even getting it, then? Isn't that sort of like putting on makeup but then wearing a mask over your face?
>>
>>1185509
Sup tattooed retard. Nobody has strong feelings with tattoos, it's just special snowflake tattoofags who love to feel special and like the world is against them. For example here is a typical conversation with a tattoofag:

>sup bro wanna see me new sleeve it's fuckin sik m9
>no thanks, retard *walks away*
>OMG PREJUDICE FREE MY PEOPLE THIS IS OPPRESION PLEASE SOMEONE NOTICE ME
>>
File: stop discriminating against me.jpg (91 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
stop discriminating against me.jpg
91 KB, 500x750
>I'm here for the job interview
>Ah, I see you've noticed Golem, my manifested third eye used to banish mine enemies to the eight circle of hell, muahahaha
>You're not going to give the job to Steve, are you?
>>
File: 1261260338752.png (51 KB, 610x629) Image search: [Google]
1261260338752.png
51 KB, 610x629
I feel this belongs here.
>>
I like how the majority of the thread is "Tattoos are bad and youll have trouble in a career with them"
yet people still I DONT GET WHY!!! IMMA GET EM ANYWAY FUG THE MAN
>>
>>1185571
I am actually not tattoo'd for social anxiety and financial reasons (do you know how much those things cost?) I just really don't care for them nor who decides to get them.

You on the other hand seems to care a little bit too much, whatsup famalam? You got fucked by some dudes with tats?
>>
>>1184919
This should have been the end of the thread.
>>
>>1185597
>I DONT GET WHY!!!
As someone occasionally involved in the hiring process at my company, it's a red flag that shows bad judgement and no concept or appreciation of long term consequences.

They're not an immediate rejection (unless they're on your face or something stupid like that), but it's a big negative and will most likely result in me not hiring you if there are other qualified candidates.
>>
File: batty man.jpg (67 KB, 500x504) Image search: [Google]
batty man.jpg
67 KB, 500x504
My tattoo is on my knee so I don't have that problem, baby boomers are fags who are even scared of fucking ink on skin.

Also.

>not being self-employed master race
>>
> not having unique skillsets.
>>
>>1184500

That's fine bit if you do find yourself out and about, at the bar with them for happy hour or at a golf scramble or some shit, they will look down on you if you're tatted up.
>>
File: 1367808694848.jpg (44 KB, 400x372) Image search: [Google]
1367808694848.jpg
44 KB, 400x372
>>1185829
>they will look down on you if you're tatted up
Yeah I dont really work in the middle of nowhere nor do I work with old as fuck people
>>
>Defending tats
>In this year of the lord

No wonder why these jits are throwing around the baby-boomer buzzword. Theyre rebel brats who wanted to ink up because mommy and daddy wouldnt let them!

Theres a reason they didnt want you to look like a degenerate. But I suppose if the shoes fit, go ahead and ink yourself up so I can write you off on the interview. Save me the trouble.
>>
>>1185945
>so I can write you off on the interview.

Yeah I am not planning on applying to McDonald's anytime soon
>>
>>1185554

Doesn't summer exist in the shit hole you live in? I wouldn't get a tattoo but I still understand the people who do.
>>
>>1184423
Tattoos are pretty acceptable now. If you don't believe me watch undercover boss. Half of the CEOs on there have a few tattoos. I dont have any myself but I know plenty of professionals with high salaries with tattoos.
>>
>>1185998
>because you already work there
>>
>>1184681
>implying that wasn't a bullshit story that your friends dad made up to scare his son into never getting a tattoo
my dad had a company and i heard a similar bullshit story from him about tattoos and why i should never get one, he then followed it up with a story about smoking why i should never take up smoking
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.