[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Renting/Owning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: 1024px-Apartmentingurgaon.jpg (147 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Apartmentingurgaon.jpg
147 KB, 1024x768
So this thread is not for people who live with mom&pops, I'm wondering what the rest of you do. actually you can post if you live your parents but specify that please. Or if you get help with rent/mortgage/down payment.

Basically I'm wondering how much you guys pay to exist and whether or not you get helped for it. You can include age if you want and region is important. Income would be useful too.

I think my need for paying rent is pretty much commanding my life and I hypothesize that this sucks for other people as well.

I made 60k last year, I pay 1k in rent, and I live in Alberta.
>>
I make 200k and pay 2k in rent to live in a poverty shack.

I don't want to get a jumbo loan for a 2 million dollar house and be left holding the bag when the web 2.0 bubble bursts.
>>
>>1183150
that's a lot for a poverty shack.
>>
>>1183149
>Live with parents paying them $400 a month
>Layed-off apprentice electrician.
>age 25

Im not impressed with myself to be honest.

I'm sitting on about 12k in my bank account and about 5k in silver

Not sure where the economy is going to go post 2017 so I am kind of glad I dont own a home.
>>
I live in a "Yoga House", which is basically a commune where I rent a room. 4 other rooms in the house for rent, thats the residence half. The other half is for prayer and meditation, tenants basically subsidize these people and their weird religion. Thing is they never show up, and I think they just keep the place because they have a sentimental connection to it. Technically no alcohol or meat allowed but nobody cares, I'm pounding beers right now.

$320/month utilities included (wifi too) and NO LEASE. you just give the guy $320 every month and then stop when you dont want to live there anymore.

2 of my roommates moved out in the past week and two rooms were vacant so I have this massive house all to myself. NOT BAD DUDE.
>>
>>1183166
Man maybe I can con some lazy middle aged people to buy me a yoga house
>>
"Own" a 2 bed w/loft, 3 bath, 2 car garage townhouse in one of the suburbs.

I'm paying $1550/mo all in (mortgage, taxes, HOA fees)

No financial help from anyone with down payment or monthly payments.

Cheaper by $200/mo than renting. Plus a huge tax deduction. But housing is still my largest expense by a large amount.
>>
>>1183203
Pretty sure Canadafags don't get to deduct mortgage interest. Which is why their housing bubble may not be a bubble. At least not the same kind of bubble as the US.
>>
>>1183149
I pay 440 a month for my living. I live in a shared house and it's ok. Very cheap for Tokyo.

I make about 30k a year so just regular wage I save pretty much all of it.
>>
Pay 575 a month to live close to a northeast city. Close to my job, 15 minute commute. Making at least 84k this year so long as I don't quit my job, more if I take on more freelance.

Renting isn't a bad deal. Good to crunch the numbers before buying a house. Some food for thought: http://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/02/23/rent-v-owning-your-home-opportunity-cost-and-running-some-numbers/
>>
>>1183357
yeah I'm happy to be renting, and I'm saving maybe half my rent each month as savings, just as a metric. OP here btw. It's weird though when nearly everyone in Canada seems to drink the koolaid that massive mortgages and loans are totally fine.

It's hard to resist this and I think it's bad for society because it encourages people to be superficial. I feel like I live in a second world nation, except the wealthy are all old people who were mostly just lucky.

Perhaps I need to get out more. I definitely need to get away from that mindset.

Bumping for more posts plz
>>
File: IMG_20160124_124609794.jpg (3 MB, 5248x2952) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160124_124609794.jpg
3 MB, 5248x2952
>>1183149
Rent. Pay $1,300 a month. $50 for internet, around $150 for electric (central air), and about $40 for water. Northeast PA. Make around $120,000.

24 years old. Before you niggers jump down my throat, I'm renting because the market up here is very illiquid and I'll probably be moving in the next two or three years.
>>
>>1183606
buying a house is not typically lauded on this site in my experience. Rent rewards you with liquidity.
>>
I'm trying to find a room in London on spareroom.co.uk

What the fuck is happening with these 'minimum 6/12 months contracts'?
>>
>>1183636
probably shitty tenants fucking up the rooms on shorter leases, or skipping out on rent, just a guess. Not surprising when rent is so fucking high
>>
File: img_0012.jpg (322 KB, 1600x1142) Image search: [Google]
img_0012.jpg
322 KB, 1600x1142
Uni student, 23 years old, Italy

I earn 600€ a month in a part-time job, pay 225€ in rent for a double room and a remaining 75€ for bills and general living expenses, including tuition. Remaining 300€ changes by month to month. My situation is atypical because most students my age are subsidized by their parents during their uni years, or simply live with their parents until their first job after graduation. Dorms here are rare.
>>
>>1183642
Quick question Italybro, what are the clubs/nightlife like in Italy?

I'll be going to Naples and Ancona in May with my girlfriend (She's from Naples. Moved here when she was 4), but apparently her cousins want me to go out with them at some point. What should I expect price wise and dress wise? I'd ask her, but she's woefully uncool and sheltered.
>>
>>1183166
320*4 is not a bad income for the owner regardless of ideology. Religious cults are typically corporations, the Holy See of the Vatican for example is the wealthiest corporate entity on earth today and for the last 1000 years. Your "Lords" might even have a tax exemption thing going, The world is a business Mr Beale.

Anyway, I typically rent for the freedom to roam my enormous country but steer clear of large metro areas as rents tend to be obscene and enjoy smaller towns more. Life is short.
>>
>>1183648
Nothing to see in both places.
TIP: when you go in Naples take a 2 level bus and go on the upper level so you won't see all the disgusting shit that happens down
>>
>>1183712
Younger brother is playing an exhibition match against the Ancona Dolphins (American football), so that's why I'm going there. She's described Naples as the "Detroit of Italy," so I'm not expecting much. Taking some time to hit Capri and the Amalfi Coast. Heard good things about that.

Anything you'd recommend I check out while there?
>>
I pay 650€ monthly rent living with my fiancee in italy in a decent central apartment, we make about 40k a year, starting to consider buying since things are going pretty steady and a flat in the suburbs now should cost under 200k€, price went down a lot and are beginning to stabilize.

Dunno about Naples other that being careful with your stuff since its supposedly full of scum. Ancona is safer but boring as fuck.
>>
>>1183721
>FOOD. REALLY GOOD FOOD
>Pay attention:
Right now there are some assholes around Naples that "projected" a scam that was frequent 30 years ago. A) 2 assholes on scouter stole your girlfriend's purse. B) A 3rd faggot (mostly in Skinny Jeans) will show up telling that he saw everything and if you want he can call the police. He'll tell you that the police will never get your purse back. C) Classic Scenario> He knows somebody that knows somebody that can recover the purse but that will cost you something.
>That happens mainly in the central station
>>
I rent. Primarily because if something breaks, it isn't my problem. Call the landlord, like a personal slave they rush over to fix it. I didn't go to college to be a handyman. Also easier to move frequently, which I enjoy, not being tied up to find a buyer. Easier to afford to live in a nicer area by renting, too. And then there's the fact that it's cheaper for people who frequently move.

>>1183357

Living the dream, man. Fuck long commutes. I want to sit my ass on a light rail and read a book while someone else drives. Just like being rich and having a chauffeur, only the masses have deluded themselves to think it's only for poor people. No worries about traffic, car repairs, parking tickets, any other nonsense. Comfy as fuck.

>>1183166

How did you get it?

>>1183209
>Pretty sure Canadafags don't get to deduct mortgage interest.

"Deduct" doesn't mean it's free.
>>
>>1183735
Pizza frita is already on the list. She goes every year, so she knows some places for other good food.

I'm street smart, so don't really plan on getting tricked. Spent a lot of time with heroin addicts. Thank you for the heads up, though.
>>
>>1183149
$1950/month rent making ~$150k in NYC
Shit sucks, but I get paid more for working here, so it's not too bad.
>>
I make $95,000/year (net roughly $5600/month)

I rent a 2 bedroom apt for $1075/month

I'm about to buy a 3 bedroom house with a "bonus room" for $266,000 so about $1700/month mortgage (that includes taxes and HOA)

I live in Vancouver WA, a suburb of Portland
>>
>>1183738
>"Fuck long commutes."
>Proceeds with an argument in favour of long commutes.
>>
29 - finance in a Tier 2 city in FL, USA
make 200K+ per year

Was renting $900 / month for about 6 years. my city is in the midst of a property boom and i wanted to buy before being priced out

PITI + HOA is about 2100 / month

Currently renting second bedroom for 900 / month

GF going to rent when she finishes school in a month for an additional 500 / month

Trying to pay it off in about 5-7 years
>>
>>1183636
London is completely apeshit rn. The high as fuck demands mean the landlords can ask for all kinds of crazy shit
>>
>>1183771

Did you read what I wrote?

A short commute, and further, a commute where someone else drives and I read a book. 15 minutes on public transport vs an hour+ drive that is otherwise common for suburb livers.

Shit nigger, you dumb.
>>
>>1183960
Not him but here in London everyone who commutes comes from like 1hr+ train rides.
>>
>>1183962

Well, that's pretty retarded. I'm talking 15 to 20 mins tops...like I've actually used an online tool to verify that. Plus maybe 5 or 10 minutes of walking to the specific building. So a few chapters of a book and a light stroll, as compared to an hour or more of driving in bumper to bumper traffic that is the standard most people choose. Both of my parents have an hour commute in their area, for example, by car. Which is fucking retarded, because the gas and wear'n'tear cost drove them into the toilet.
>>
>>1183978
Faggot, a 15-20 min bus ride is obviously not the same distance as a 1 hour car ride.

It would probably be 10 min by car, similarly like your parents' journey would be around 1hr15min by bus.

Apples and Oranges.
>>
>>1183985

Yes. Duh. Which ties in to my argument that renting lets you live CLOSER to work and makes commuting EASIER no matter what method you use.

Also, in some circumstances like heavy traffic, which becomes more and more endemic in cities, public transport is FASTER for the same distance if it has a dedicated line (such as a rail, or a bus with a bus express lane.) So you're double wrong.
>>
>>1183738
>call landlord, like a personal slave they rush over

Ha kek m8 that's because u basically bought him a home. You paid for him to own a tangible asset, which you could have owned. But it's okay keep sinking unrecoverable rent money instead of building equity, only idiots own.
>>
File: 1385332065482.jpg (13 KB, 431x352) Image search: [Google]
1385332065482.jpg
13 KB, 431x352
>>1184296
I have great plan too
you buy the prepaid gift cards from me with bitcoin
I sell you $100 card for $20
you make lots of money selling them
you come back buy more gift cards from me
email if interested no last names no phone
many thenk
>>
>>1183738
>"Deduct" doesn't mean it's free.

Exactly.

They don't get to deduct mortgage interest, Americans still pay up to 60% of it.

But they don't have to pay any taxes on gains from selling their house.

Much better deal.
>>
23, making $75k/year, living in Washington DC. I'm paying $1185/mo for a studio. With utilities probably $1250/mo. This is a good deal for the area. I don't own a car anymore and don't need one. Also my commute is like 15min to work. Everything is a trade off.
>>
>>1184633
Move to silver spring
>>
>>1183149

I'm 26
Live in Orange County, California

Rent is 300 split 50/50 with boyfriend
We live in a "backhouse" which is really just a master bedroom and a little room that are connected in bf's mother's house. She owns the house we also have access to everything, kitchen, wifi, cable etc

Bills are just car insurance (1200 p/year), phones (100 p/month) and I'm a shitty Orange County CA type so I spend money on organic food and shit... we're also technically alcoholics so we spend about 100$ on beer and wine per week

I have my own expenses because I'm a pretty girl but that's my own deal

OH, also I work part time and make about 100$ a week, but also have my own work from home business that makes about 2000-5000 per month depending on what sales I make that month. I recently started, so I don't have much saved up. BF makes 11$ an hour, 40 hours a week plus some overtime and has about 1000 saved up. He just started working a few months ago :0

we're both worthless cucks but he's a wageslave4lyfe and I'm a biz/entrepreneur
>>
>>1184967
also he doesn't know it yet but when I reach a stable 10,000 per month I'm gonna rent a house for us so I have room to paint and cook and all the other bs hobbies I have I ALSO WANT A HUGE DOG @_@
>>
>>1184621
For what its worth, in the US you can exclude $500k of profit.
>>
>>1183149

I used to be a homeowner (married) and now I rent (divorced). Was paying close to $2600/mo for mortgage, then around $1875 to rent, now I currently rent a room for $600 with a friend and invest the difference.

Rent:
costs:
- monthly rent
- utils
- security deposit (refundable)

Buy:
costs:
- mortgage
- utils
- insurance
- taxes
- monthly escrow costs (depending on loan type)
- ongoing maintenance costs/renovations

In most cases, vven with the (slightly) lower monthly costs of a mortgage, the added costs (taxes, pmi, etc.) pretty much ends up being on par with renting when all is said and done.

The difference is with owning, you have no money. In fact you have no actual value until you sell, otherwise just a massive debt (just like with securities). This is why leveraging (very strategically) is your only option when "owning".

For home buying, imo, it's only smart to do when you don't need a loan to do it.
>>
>>1185074
sounds right, the other issue with thinking of a house as an investment is it only becomes liquid around the time that major service is usually needed--25 years--new kitchen, new flooring, new roof, etc.

Man I wish the housing market and rent market would come down in Canada. $1k a month is brutal for young people and all that revenue going to unproductive assets is a total waste. The purpose of this thread is also to determine how much money velocity there is--are house buyers borrowing money from their house-owning parents to buy houses? How much of this is a pyramid scheme for asset holders and how many people are building the capital themselves to buy?

Yeah interest rates are low but the capital need for a down payment is pretty astronomical and I feel like this is turning real estate into some weird derivative thing. I know my landlord is sending a kid to Oxford(you're welcome!) but my parents were idiot alcoholics so my point is there's no merit in this game, only those who have capital and those who are priced out.

Unless I buy a condo, I guess...
>>
>>1184969
god you seem annoying as fuck

> im a Grill look at me
>>
I rent an apartment because when something breaks the management is required to fix it for free. The biggest downside is management will have a copy of my key to enter the premises. I don't trust those low paid mexican maintenance workers not stealing my stuff if I'm not home.
>>
>>1185079
$1k/mo is pretty standard throughout most cities in the US with exceptions in LA, NY, SF (which rent is much higher) or in the middle of the country where rent is $600+/mo.

>interest rates are low but the capital need for a down payment is pretty astronomical
agreed, and this will most likely only continue to get worse. I say rent now, save your earnings, and buy much later in life (if there's good reason to), after you have money to do so.

You can always try to flip a home to make quick cash now, but it's a huge risk. With buying/selling/closing costs, paying loan interest on the months/years it takes to re-sell, I really don't think markets are increasing that much to really get a solid RoR on your "investment" once all is said and done.
>>
>>1183149

I make $200k a year and rest of $800 a month. Keep thinking I should buy a place, but I like having money in the bank, and being locked into 1 location is a difficult decision. Plus maintenance and all that crap.

Maybe one day.
>>
>>1185154
Being locked into one place is my biggest fear when considering buying a home.
I don't like the idea of immobility in case something happens like a lost job or a new opportunity across the country.
You could, of course, try to sell the house when something happens, but that is a long process and not guaranteed.
>>
>>1183149
Got a great deal for my location, I live in Anchorage Alaska, I have an apt in a 4-plex, total rent is 1000 utilities included, I pay 400 cause I have a smaller room than my roommate. But the lease is up in June and the landlord is converting the units into AirBandB rentals, so fuck it I'm moving in with my rich petro engineer brother and not paying rent (his suggestion not mine, lived with him for a summer and paid 600 a month to rent out the bottom half of his house).
>>
>>1185218
airbnb is truly a great alternative to paying outrages hotel prices when traveling, but it's also making rental costs, world-wide, increase to a level that doesn't fit inline with local economies. I guess this was bound to happen eventually, but it's interesting to think that airbnb is the entity (most likely, inadvertently) having a direct impact on this phenomenon.
>>
>>1184969
good luck
>>
>>1183149
I make about 5k take home each month and pay 1k in rent, about 150 in utilities, 100 for food, 100 for car insurance. 50 for gas and 150 in student loan payments.

Recently got a roommate to get a 50%discount on rent and utilities.
>>
>>1183209
You're correct, mortgage interest on a personal residence in not a tax deduction.

We also have now capital gains/loss on it if it's your primary residence.
>>
>>1183596
At least in Canada, rent is somewhat tied to the price of actually purchasing a house. So if the total value of the house is high, rent will be as well.
>>
>>1184969
gb2 reddit
>>
Got married this past summer and moved into my mom-in-laws. My wife and I made 20k last year, we make 30k now. We pay $400 a month for the entire second floor of the house. Shes been through surgeries and needs someone around if she falls, etc.

I finish college next year. If all goes well I can pursue IT. I work in a private school cafeteria ATM. I get money from my parents for school. As long as I make good grades they pay for it.

Otherwise Im $1000 in debt from the holidays and still havent cleared it. I got too generous I guess
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.