[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Random Walk down wall street
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: bull.jpg (99 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
bull.jpg
99 KB, 800x533
Full disclaimer, I'm as ignorant as it gets regarding finance and economics, and am in engineering.
The other day, I picked up "A Random walk down wall street" from my uni's library having heard good things about it, and it made a lot of sense for the most part, it was a very informative read. That being said I feel like something flew right over my head.
It says in the book that a portfolio composed of ETFs provide solid annual returns, and outperform most of other actively managed portfolios.
I looked at the S&P500, DJIA and Vanugard's total stock market ETF 10-y annualized returns, and to my big surprise it floats around 7%.
Living in Europe, inflation is around 0%, and my bank account gives me 0.75% annual interest rate.
Now, I asked myself, why can't my bank give me a higher interest rate if a diversified ETF-only portfolio is that safe and profitable ? Can't they just invest my money and give me a better deal? Something seems off, a safe 7% annual return seems too good to be true compared to my current interest rate. Surely some bank could rake all the clients in with an account giving a variable interest rate following the total stock market performance.
Am I misunderstanding something /biz/?

Ps: Does anyone (eurobros?) know about a trading platform with low commission fees I should use ?
>>
>>1180603
I have a lottery broker. That means that I have a "buy random amount of shares of random company at random price"
>>
>>1180603
There's still risk associated with it. There's actually laws (at least in the US) about using client money to invest. Dodd-Frank, I think it is.
>>
>>1180628
Not to be mean but do you also post on random threads?
>>
>>1180603
ohh geez op.

the banks are making the 7% on your money and giving you the 0.75%. all the money sitting in there accounts isnt just sitting there, the banks are making investments with it and getting returns. they usually invest in things a bit safer than the market though, but they have been known to get very risky with their investments (real estate, 2000s).

theyre pocketing that money and giving you your 0.75% to make it attractive to bank with them.
>>
>>1180644
they definitely still do it.
>>
>>1180644
>>1180654
Actually in my country the interest rate on my type of account is fixed by the state (based on inflation I think) and I know the law restrict the banks on what they can and cannot do with our money, so I think them pocketing the 6.25% difference is very unlikely.
I was more wondering about why can't I provide the following service : I keep your money like a bank but you can choose a percentage of your money to be invested in ETFs, maybe you want 0% or 30% or 100% invested in ETFs, knowing there will be some years where this percentage of money will shrink like 2008, but you will win a lot on the 10-Y annualized interest rate. I pocket a tiny percentage of the interest. I would use that service, I know a lot of people that would too, and according to the book it would work. What's the catch? Does it already exists ?
>>
>>1180679
you basically just summed up a brokerage account.
>>
>>1180603
>safe 7% annual return

Its not safe at all

There can be huge declines, look at 2008
>>
>>1180824
Yeah I talked about 2008 in >>1180679
Since 2008 they go between 10 and 20% but 2008 averages it to 7%
>>
>>1180841
ETF's are stocks, you can lose money. Deposit accounts in banks carry no risk, unless the bank folds, even then, bailouts.
The market could take a shit, ETF's along with it, just investigate what the ETF is composed of.
>>
>>1180852
Makes sense I guess. I wish my bank account had a "risk" setting I could crank up. I will have to do it manually.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.