[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/biz/, I'm entering law school and I want to know what's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (24 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
24 KB, 443x332
/biz/, I'm entering law school and I want to know what's the best line of work for a lawyer?

I'm thinking business/corporate law. If so, how can I be an expert on it before majoring and, as a result, have an advantage on my competitors? (i.e books, courses, films)
>>
Maritime, defendant side.
>>
Are you nervous about getting into law? I've heard nothing but horror stories.
>>
>>1180571
like what? too much work / hours?
>>
>>1180577
No, I wish that's what I've heard. It's worse. As in large scale unemployment for new grads, having to pay for internships, bad stuff.

There were even some law grads that sued their school for misrepresenting the opportunity of the profession.
>>
>>1180592
fuck... im currently first year at law school of university of montreal, people say i fucked up... did i?
>>
>>1180597
I know only what I've read, but it looks incredibly grim. Some grads say their JD is like a scarlett letter and do they leave it off their resume.

Personally I know 4 people with JDs, none of them work in law.
>>
>>1180597
not unless you graduate top 5% atleast and already have a job lined up as well as a back up offer to fall back on.

law is extremely competitive now a days. id start interning asap and getting buddy buddy with partners if you want any shot of having a decent private sector job.
>>
>>1180609
Well, at least they're not in an MBA program. Now, if you want to see fucked up broken dreams, THERE'S where you look.
>>
Look for a job not in a traditional law practice, but for a position where having a JD would be required/helpful.

>Trust officer
>Corporate counsel at a firm
>>
>>1180609
>>1180604
what do you guys think about international law?
>>
>>1180764
im going to be honest with you. you can make big money in any field or niche of law that you choose.
the trick is to have/establish connections and be a top notch attorney. if youre at the top of your game, then youre going to rake in the dough. if youre just walking along just choosing which career to go to based on average earnings, youre going to be a loser.

this goes for everything i always see these fucking threads
>/biz/ should i choose x engineering or y engineering

choose the one that you'll be the fucking best at, and go get paid for being the best. faggot.
>>
>>1180802
That's solid advice anon. Thank you.
>>
Move to a country you can work in that isn't over saturated with lawyers. I keep hearing that being an engineer is a waste of time because apparently there's no jobs in America/Canada. For fuck say there's still a shit load of demand in European countries for professionals. Christ Americans can't think outside the box even slightly.
>>
>>1180597
Its pretty competitive in the US because there are over two hundred law schools that churning out way more lawyers than needed. I know that Canada has significantly less law schools than the US so it might not be as competitive as the US.
>>
>>1180558
I'm friends with someone that did corporate law and also a bachelors of business or something like that.

You REALLY REALLY need your internships. My friend didn't even end up in law, he chose the finance route.

You will need to go to a top tier school that is known for law and get at least a 3.5 GPA
>>
>>1181134
Moving there requires shitloads of paperwork and a visa
It's not that easy, and they'd rather hire their own than be responsible for a rando from the states
>>
>>1180558

corporate is killer money, especially once you really start climbing the ranks. You could be earning $250k per year by the time you are 30.

Usually stressful tho.
>>
>>1180597

Just depends on your mindset. If you ball like Michael Jordan you'll be fine. If you just chill and dont give a fuck, and dont network, your gonna have a problem come graduation.

You wanna get a good job right out of the gate. This is key lawyerfags.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.