[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the illegal drug market so violent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1438647193078.jpg (125 KB, 527x720) Image search: [Google]
1438647193078.jpg
125 KB, 527x720
Why is the illegal drug market so violent?
>>
People who have decided to break the law to make a living generally aren't pleasant people when it comes to their business.
>>
>>1179775
This. Its pretty hard to call the cops when you are breaking the law too. Drug dealers need to act as their own police and enact street justice. Since they cant feasibly lock people up they have to take pounds of flesh.
>>
>>1179774
Usually degenerates who always slip up and get caught/killed or don't make enough in the first place. Also most of them try to be a like scarface and shoot people
>>
>>1179775
>>1179811
These. Your options are not exist as a market, get fucked over by customers, or get fucked over by the government. You've gotta be ferocious to keep those three in balance.
>>
Dealing can be a really sketchy business when theres some people that want to take advantage of you. BTW that movie is fantastic.
>>
>>1179811
>>1179850
It all goes back to the golden rule, "Might makes right".

Why would a guy with superior firepower share 20% of the market share with some guy when he can easily just kill the guy and take his market share over?
>>
>>1179774
Chill dealers are usually weed dealers or dealers in college towns. The general idea is that the more valuable your merchandise is, the more hostile and violent you need to be.

As a famous line from Prison Break goes
>"I ain't a hero for $14/hr!"

If you lose 1lbs of weed, that's roughly $1k lost but if you lose 1lbs of cocaine, that's $10k (I don't exactly know how much coke is since I don't do synthetic drug).

Thinking about getting into weed and shrooms dealing but my living space isn't exactly accommodating for growing.
>>
Well how else are you going to get that 60 louie owes you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAuSTQUa3tM
>>
>>1179992
>Coke
>Synthetic
>>
>>1179984
>BTW that movie is fantastic.
agreed. watch it for the first time on LSD (a good dose not a pussy dose) like i did if anyone ITT hasnt seen it.
>>
Is it really that violent? I've been buying drugs from dealers and friends for 20 years and I've never encountered it. Nine of the junkies on the streets look too smacked about. None of my dealers has ever showed up with a black eye.

I'll have to ask them about it.

But I think it's not that violent, just that the violence is the only bit the newspapers pick up on.

>yesterday, nobody was hurt, as all of the drug deals went down as they were supposed to.
>>
>>1179992
Thats my fucking cat picture. Also buy bitcoin
>>
>>1179774

It's anarchy.
>>
>>1179992
>Thinking about getting into weed and shrooms dealing but my living space isn't exactly accommodating for growing.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w6592

Don't. Economically speaking, nothing has changed in the nearly-20 years since this paper was written. It's a lot of work, life-ending penalties for fucking up, and it pays less than minimum wage.

If you're seriously interested in it as a market, wait for Hillz/Bernie to get re-elected, pick a state that's *UN*likely to legalize cannabis in either 2016 or the 2018 midterms, and consider learning how to grow a legal crop like alfalfa or bean sprouts while you wait for federal legalization. Then be one of the first legal pot businesses in your locality, and either have it go viral (venture capitalists beg to invest with you) or sell out (to whichever company that established itself in a pre-federal-legalization state and raised a shitton of capital and which makes you a decent offer).

That's still a high-risk/high reward startup strategy, but waiting for federal legalization beats the hell out of an astronomical-risk/low-reward deal like the black market.

Disclosure: I don't partake. I believe it should be legally available to those who do. It's less harmful than alcohol, which is my drug of choice.
>>
"The authority of the state depends on its capacity to legitimize its monopoly over the use of violence".

Legal disputes are settled through violence, physical or symbolical, carried out by the state, forms of violence agreed upon by society (confiscation, incarceration) through the rule of law.

Illegal disputes are settled through the use of unregulated violence carried out by individuals.

This applies to any illegal activity, including drugs.
>>
>>1180027
Where you live and what you're buying plays a major role. I work law enforcement in the Chicagoland area and the majority of our homicides are related to gangs and drugs.

Our independent neighborhood dealers don't sell enough volume or in gang territory to get real notice. They inevitably join up or get popped if they do get noticed though.
>>
>>1179811
This.
I got ripped off for two bags of weed out of four.
It was grass cuttings.
But I only bought off this guy for a couple of months, just met him on the street.
He was a young teenager and probably needed the cash, or got scammed himself.
I was twice his age, and had 5k in my sock drawer.
At the time, I had a lot of moves going on, I needed someone local, and he would meet me just opposite my house at the time....
So, I gage him the benefit of the doubt, and just told him about it next time I bought from him, and to watch out and check the shit next time - 'don't get ripped off'.
But if it was buying for other people, or if that happened at any time before that, it would have went down differently.
I would want to know where he got it, or I would beat his ass up and down the street.

Either way it would have been messy - who do I trust - him or his dealer?

I saw a documentary about a guy on death row - big scary nigger, and he agrees to meet the mother of the man he killed.
So, he explains it to her - the guy he killed grabbed a large bag of coke and ran off with it, so he shot him and retrieved the coke.
In his words 'he knew the risks, and what I would do, he was literally taking food out of my mouth and my crew's mouths. Some of my associates have family, some are mostly straight citizens, they invested in this. What could I tell them?'

I actually couldn't help sympathize with the guy, the way he explained it.
What would YOU do?
Give him a bad reference?
>>
>>1179774
Cos it's illegal. As with all forms of organization you need a way to keep people in line. What else you gonna do? Call the cops?
>>
>>1180209
>I would beat his ass up and down the street
But you're filming!
>>
>>1180234
I don't get it.
>>
Really depends on the people you work with. I never really feared violence doing business, because I dont use, I dont owe anyone and I dont invade other territories. If anything, theres lots of intimidation, as in, if you fuck up youre gonna have your shit pushed in, but that should be pretty obvious to you, once you get involved in this kind of business. I buy from our local biker gang, because they are the main distributor here and I have had no issues. Most of the violent conflicts I have heard of were because of personal reasons or gang feuds and Im not really affiliated with them. One exception was a member of the biker club who was shot last year after doing business on his own with an afghan family clan.
>>
>>1179992
This.

The best money is in supplying the higher end dealers who deal to the small fish who get caught.
>>
>>1180175
I work law enforcement in the Chicagoland area and the majority of our homicides are related to gangs and drugs.
Yeah but still, relatively few of the drug users and dealers get killed violently.
>>
>>1180347
This is what I meant. If you consider the number of drug-related attacks (reported and unreported) against the number of drug deals going down, I'd say 99% are without incident
>>
All depends where you live and what social scene you're a part of. Nig nogs rob each other for kilos cause thats a big come up.

If you're flipping acid or molly off the dnm's to middlemen in college towns its fucking great.
>>
>>1179774
That movie is great. I have lived in Shinjuku for a while and walking around at night (the area behind kabukichi) always gave me that "enter the void" feel.
>>
>>1180940
The last point is especially true. I grew and sold shrooms in college. I was flipping these things to art students and hippies, neither of which are known for being dangerous. It was good supplemental income.

The kind of drug involved determines the violence. Shrooms are silly. Cocaine is serious business.
>>
>>1179774
it all comes down to value of life.

if someone didn't pay you $1000 for a drug trade or you lost $50000 in drug sales because someone else encroached on a neighborhood you "owned", is it time to end someone's life or permanently maim them?

since most of the people involved in the underground drug trade are sub-human trash, they say yes more often than regular-folk.
>>
File: 1406525330345.jpg (125 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
1406525330345.jpg
125 KB, 450x337
that's not true. i was in heroin for five years. it is inherently nonviolent.
drivers had MAYBE 3 guns pulled per year which is excellent when you are servicing 100-140 people every single day of the year. there was also serious 1 assault on a driver (car flipped, shotguns, hostage'd, etc)

cops are violent, but it's allowed. you can come out with 1 year probation on a class b felony heroin possession if you don't act like an ass.

violence towards snitches happens but is isolated. maybe twice a year per market

people rob pounds of weed like it's going out of style, because the runt drugs have no low-ground backing. you're not exactly afraid of steve the weed guy who smokes you out, or even his supply. or even 2 or 3 up. these shits seem to get the itch every other day to hit licks. for weed. armed robbery. for weed. dude. lmao.

good heroin essentially goes port-to-ground, and is all kept in the ring except for occasional outside hires, who also aren't a smart tree to bark up. there's a reputation, which helps, but it's been earned. no violence=reliability, and junkies love reliability.

competition is a meme, cartels sell to each other all the time stateside, no one gives one fuck.

junkies will beat each other now and then but can hardly be attributed to the heroin, they just are dumbfuckheaded enough to find a niche for $.
which, for violence, leaves... mexico? which you should just chalk up as permaviolent, for the rest of your life, because things are so fucked down there you would not believe it. there is no fixing it, ever.

so no, you can't quite say that. just how i can't quite say heroin is nonviolent. cocaine isn't serious business either seeing how those welfare queens can't learn to package their own fucking drugs properly jesus fucking christ. have you ever tried to implement heroin into a housing project? you offer an easy 200k/y op for running customers and they rob you for $300.

>anecdotal evidence
yea sure the news is accurate and better m8
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.