[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Implications? (Government/business wis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Pros?
Cons?
Thoughts?
Implications? (Government/business wise)
Future moves?

Here's the link https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-sues-block-halliburton-baker-hughes-merger-140401630.html
>>
Possibly the biggest recent example of government intervention in business and /biz/ has not a thing to say??
>>
This is actually hard to grasp. Is this board really just for shilling crypto currencies and meme stocks??
>>
>>1178827
>Bumping twice in 20 minutes

/biz/ is a slow board. In any case, I'm not well versed on the oil industry. So you got your reply, but it's a nothing reply. Monkey's paw I guess.
>>
>>1178841

The government is generally 99% behind large recessions / depressions thanks to their chivalrous interventions.

Expect one soon.
>>
>>1178841
>biggest recent example
This is a slow board and practically no one here has a significant amount of money or expertise. This is a website full of underage and NEETs, what do you expect?
>>
>>1178827
This and the pfzier block together is really ominous as fuck because the last time the government intervened like this was back during the break up of standard oil... the great depression happened soon after.

Not saying it's related but definitely reminiscent
>>
>>1178882
I'm only on here a couple times a day.

Haliburton is so fucking big already, and they were going to buy BH, holy shit.

I don't know if I'd want the cheap bastards buying out BH desu...
>>
File: hallib_vs_schlum-250.gif (24 KB, 250x162) Image search: [Google]
hallib_vs_schlum-250.gif
24 KB, 250x162
>>1178827
Doesn't surprise me at all. This deal has been so back and forth it's getting pretty ridiculous.

Although I would be lying if I said I didn't want this deal to go through. But both Halliburton and Baker Hughes liquidated quite a bit of their equipment to get this far.

>>1178916
Still not as large as their next competitor, although if the deal went through...
>>
>>1178841
Yet it brings up the question of what other motives they had for having the merger, is it all legit for the reasons given or something else?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/07/business/dealbook/pfizer-allergan-merger.html
This article also talks of a merger broken because they were trying to move their home overseas to save that sweet dosh from being taxed to hell and to think of their shareholders first, but it does bring up the question of whether American companies should have the right to do that. Taxes do run the country, as shitty and mishandled and misdirected by special interests as it is.

And yeah, this is an already slow board and you posted during a usual slow post rate part of the day. Calm down.
>>
>>1178935
Dang, then it would really be just two powerhouses duking it out.
>>
>>1178935
Huh..

I always thought Haliburton was the top dog.
You never hear about Schlumberger.. that or Schlumberger doesn't fuck up as often on projects.
>>
>>1178955
Yeah, Halliburton gets all the attention because of there connects with our last president me thinks.

Schlumberger is the largest oilfield services company in the world at the moment.

>>1178949
Yeah, it would be. The feds have been trying to kill the meager for quite some time now.

I'd expect BHI and HAL to liquidate more assets until they allow the deal to go through, they've been pretty persistent themselves.
>>
>>1178962
What does this mean for Schlumberger then? Will they buy out a smaller company and maximize production in light of this news?
>>
>>1178971
I have no idea. I really doubt they will alter their path too much.

Also they acquire companies quite often

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_International
Their most recent 15 billion dollar acquisition
>>
>>1178962
Texan here, there is a Schlumbrger building literally a ten minute walk from my house, though they were hit hard by the Mudslimes shitting so much oil in the market from before.
>>1178962
So if they play that game the Fed would pretty much be forced to allow them to merger?
>>
>>1178978
I don't know if they would be forced to do anything. But the less assets the two companies have the more likely the feds are to allow the merger.

I remember driving by the Baker Hughes office near my work and seeing the entire large parking lot filled with employees cars, now it's barely 1/4 full. BHI and HAL seem pretty determined to get this thing done. Only time will tell though.
>>
>>1178914
>the great depression happened soon after.

Standard oil broke up in 1911

The depression happened a decade later...
>>
>>1179055
Not to mention the two situations are in no way comparable.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.