[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I set up an account with an online stock brokerage and bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
I set up an account with an online stock brokerage and bought one stock (like one unit of stock from one company) several years ago. I just forgot about it eventually and never included it in tax filings. I still have my one stock there, but I never sold it. Am I ok tax wise? It was like 1 something and now it's like 3 something.

If I wanted to sell it would I have to file this year? How do taxes for stocks work exactly?
>>
>>1177601
You pay income tax on the dividends payed to the shareholders and on the gain made on the selling of your share.
>>
>>1177601
If you never sell your share you never pay income taxes on those assets. That's a strong tool to build capital and shows the advantages of choosing stocks that don't pay dividends to shareholders and instead use all their net income to grow the business.
>>
>>1178218
>>1178214

Shit so I guess I probably should've been filing every year. I'm sure I got some dividend pennies. I just like doing everything by the book.

thnx famalam
>>
>>1177601
i usually avoid paying tax by buying stocks in the name of my children.. they are almost on a 0% tax bracket, while i have to pay above 20% tax

When they reach adulthood, thats when i think about selling stocks before they move to a higher tax bracket
>>
>>1177601
It sounds like you own maybe a hundred dollars of stocks at most, you're fine senpai, the IRS isn't going to come after you or notice that you haven't reported an amount of money that small.
>>
>>1178404
Be aware that only about a fourth of companies pay dividends. There is a bigger probability you didn't collect any dividends actually.
>>
no not even if it was Hormel.

There's a minimum cap gains before they tax you forget the amount.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.