[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH BILL COLLECTORS? Sup /biz/ I'm not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: debt.jpg (151 KB, 668x577) Image search: [Google]
debt.jpg
151 KB, 668x577
ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH BILL COLLECTORS?

Sup /biz/ I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I recently received a letter from the State Of California demanding for payment. It reads "court-ordered debt collections" and insists that I pay it in full or face actions such as garnishing, seizing property, etc. Is this just another bullshit scare tactic or should I be legitimately worried? The fee I owe to collections is $950 and right now I have no source of income. I know people that have dodged these fuckers all their lives so I feel like I'm just taking this way too seriously (being my first run in and all) it says call back if payment creates undue hardship (which it will) should I even bother calling back or should I just carry out, trying to pay it as I go? I'm trying to get a new job because I'm not trying to NOT drive for the next 10 years. If it helps, I'm 20, don't have any other debt or criminal records (it's a fucking parking ticket) and I received it in January, 2015. Halp me pls
>>
Where is the letter actually coming from? Usually states hire debt collecting agencies to do the collecting and they have no power to do any of that stuff unless they get a court order, for which they should have sent you a notice and a court date.

Just contest it.
>>
>>1177449

What is the debt from?

The only things the state can order money collected from are:

- student loan debt
- legal situations like child support, alimony, a civil suit, etc...

Any debt from a business organization, would never be turned to the state for collections without a legal judgement against you.

Sounds like a phony letter.

Debt companies are always trying out new tricks.
>>
>>1177851
>The only things the state can order money collected from are:

>He doesn't mention taxes
>>
>>1177855

Well taxes, obviously.

I just mean that if a business says you owe them money, but they don't take you to court and win, then there's nothing the state can do to force a person to pay money.
>>
>>1177873

The debt is for a traffic ticket I couldn't pay in time which was a minor infraction. Open container. (wasn't driving or drinking, fuck this money hungry system)
>>
>>1177449
Um.. It seems a little sketchy.

DO you have a judgement against you from a court? If you do, then they can take such actions as garnishment, but I don't know about seizing property. I think that letter is bullshit and illegal also.

Source: I have fought debt collectors and won.
>>
>>1178113

Not that I know of. I have two yab interviews this week so hopefully it'll resolve itself shortly but yeah I'm starting to call BS on anyone who would go that far for less than 5k.
>>
commiefuckia is fucking broke im not surprised they are chasing a 1k "parking ticket" how a ticket gets to 1k is some jewish fucking magic right there i hope your shitty state burns when satan opens the gates of hell there
>>
just wait until they start threatening your credit score, get evidence of their threat, take off a day from work, show the court, walk away.
>>
>>1178094

Oh.

Yeah you need to pay that.

In the past when I got tickets I would always sweet talk the clerk and tell him/her my money problems and they would almost always reduce the fine. I have gotten many traffic tickets cut in half with 2 minutes of sweet talk.
>>
Research the fair debt collection practices act. This is the law that stipulates how you can be interacted with by collectors. 950 isn't worth the money to hire a lawyer to file with the court system. Obviously pay it off. If they call ask for a verification of the debt to be mailed to your house. Also upon reading about the f d c p a you'll learn that you're not to be harassed
>>
They probably bought the debt from the state. Negotiate with them on some terms. What they are starting our asking and what they are willing to settle for are two different amounts.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.