[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the general consensus on this place? Is it viewed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: wgu.png (226 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
wgu.png
226 KB, 1024x1024
What's the general consensus on this place? Is it viewed in the same category as shitschools like ITT Tech, DeVry, and Phoenix?
>>
>>1177409
Yes. Go to community college, get 4.0 transfer to best school you can get into.
>>
>>1177424
This. If you get a 4.0 at community college and have some high tier extracurriculars then you can honestly get inti an Ivy League school.
>>
>>1177409
Those are expensive, for-profit scams. Yes, WGU has little/no name recognition, but is reputable. If you need a name brand degree, you're going to pay for it.

I'm doing Accounting at WGU right now. My studies are as follows:

1. Read textbook.
2. Do optional multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank practice problems.
3. Take finals.

There are also recorded lectures and live webinars if you need them, but the textbook reading is required and sufficient without attending webinars.

It can be a great education if you study diligently, or you can skate through like a brick and mortar school and not get half the benefit that a dedicated hard worker would get. I'm going to be a perfectly competent Accountant for $6000 and one year of 40 hours/week studying.
>>
>>1178050
And then my plan is to go to a top tier state school in my area for 1 year and $13000 for a masters in Accounting with name recognition so I can get my CPA. All in all, two years of study from having some transfer credit to getting a masters for less money and time than a conventional Bachelors program would allow.
>>
>>1178050
Also, lest you think my accelerates pace indicates a diploma mill, my adviser told me WGU loses money when people complete their degree in less than 1.5 years. Median is 2.5 years I believe.

Also, you can start any class at any time, so I can work for 52 weeks out of the year as opposed to the typical 36 weeks that two traditional semesters take up, meaning I am taking classes for 1.5 times the number of days of a typical college student per year.
>>
>>1178050
How do the finals/tests work?
>>
>>1178238
For a majority of classes including all but one of my accounting classes, 100% of your credit is awarded based on one multiple choice final exam that is proctored via webcam from your home. Some classes also have what's called a final "performance assessment" which is a rubric-graded written paper, excel project, video-recorded speech for a communication class, etc.

Every class with a multiple-choice final also has a practice final that you can take at any time and will give you feedback on which subject areas you are weak in and which you ace, so you can target your studies and not waste time on stuff you're already proficient in. If you're confident in your prior knowledge of a class, you can take the practice final before doing one minute of studying and many students are able to pass one or several classes just based on prior knowledge. Some of the core business classes are pretty easy so you're likely to test out of a few classes pretty quickly.
>>
There are two and only two caveats to a WGU business degree:

1. The business programs are not AASCB or ACBSP accredited because WGU is not a research institution and because of the nontraditional style of the classes. The university is regionally accredited, which is the standard for any reputable college.

2. There is no GPA because the classes are all Pass/Fail. They say their standard for Passing is the equivalent of a B, so really your GPA is 3.0 minimum.

These by no means make your degree worthless in the eyes of an employer. In fact, after your first job, your degree becomes less and less important beyond just a Yes/No checkbox of whether you have a degree or not. You can instead spin the nontraditional features of the degree as a positive by highlighting the fact that you need to be self-driven and that the bulk of the learning is from reading voluminous textbooks, which is IMO more rigorous an education than attending lecture and ignoring the textbook as most students do. I'm 1/3 of the way through a very rigorous and thorough 1350 page textbook on Intermediate Accounting that covers 6 credits worth of material. That's a lot of information for 6 credits and a lot more than many students would ever digest.

So there it is. I've laid out all the negatives of a WGU business degree alongside all the counterbalancing positives, including that sweet, sweet flat-rate $3000/6months cost of attendance (tuition, fees, and textbooks included).
>>
I don't know about that particular school but I've been told employers throw resumes of people who went to for profit schools into the trash. Afterall, if you were smart, you wouldn't have gone to a for-profit school in the first place.

The reasons being:

1. Not accredited.
2. High costs for low quality.
3. Lack of internship sites due to the above.

You're basically paying for a worthless feel-good degree that you can't use anywhere. Of course there are exemptions but not many.
>>
>>1178356
WGU is non-profit and was founded by 19 U.S. governors.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.