[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY MBA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Top-25-Business-Schools.jpg (194 KB, 900x668) Image search: [Google]
Top-25-Business-Schools.jpg
194 KB, 900x668
Sup /biz/,

I've been teetering on the border of whether or not getting a MBA is a good investment in my future for the past couple months and I've come to you for help. I decided before I plop down a good chunk of money on something like this that I'd like to get a feel for what goes into and MBA program. So, I ended up researching the core curriculum from the top 10 US business schools and made a list of the topics that (I feel) are consistent between almost all of them. They are (listed in no particular order):

1) Leadership
2) Communication
3) Management
4) Operations Management
5) Marketing
6) Business Strategy
7) Microeconomics
8) Macroeconomics/ global economics
9) Government Regulation, Relations, and Ethics
10) Statistics
11) Data Analysis and Technology
12) Accounting
13) Finance

You could probably group a couple of these into sub-classes of each other if you really wanted. What I'd like to do is get the industry leading books or textbooks on each of these topics and read them through before I make the decision on business school.

I was curious what /biz/ thinks; if you have any suggestions/edits to the list I've compiled, any book recommendations, or information in general.
>>
>>1175170
I should also note that the image is not a reflection of the schools that were selected to compile the list.
>>
Marshall MBA Candidate here.

Don't MBA without job experience, imo. Like real experience. No one will give a shit about you just because you have an MBA.

My recommendation is to see if you can get work reimburse and do part-time. Or go full-time and ass blast yourself with debt for awhile.
>>
>>1175356
Not op but what are good jobs to gain experience in while working on an mba? Would sales be good work experience?
>>
>>1175368
Sales + MBA here. probably the worst. What you want is an Analyst title + knowing statistics, microsoft excel, and accounting knowledge that is equivalent to a minor in accounting.
>>
>>1175382
Could you elaborate more? I'm actually in pharma sales and this is something I haven't heard before. If I made the switch out of sales into an analyst role what type of roles would I be eligible for?
>>
>>1175843
I should probably add that I don't think you need an MBA for sales, but what type of positions do MBA + sales usually go into?
>>
>Shaq O'Neal, MBA.

The MBA is dead.
>>
>>1175170
The books I've been using the most for theoretical strategy are.
Edit Penrose, The theory of the growth of the firm /2009.
Alfred D. Chandler, Strategy and Structure/1990
W Chan Kim, Blue Ocean Strategy, 2005
Michael E. Porter, Competitive Advantage/1998
Prahalad & Hamel, Competing for the future/1994
Adrian Ryans, Beating Low Cost Competition/2008
James Charles Collins, Built to Last/2002

If you're into business models I can recommend,
Chris Anderson, The Long Tail
Chris Anderson, Free
Alexander Osterwalder & Yves Pigneur: Business model generation, as well as Value Proposition design. They've alright content, but are made in an annoying childrens book kind of way. I can also recommend looking into "Journal Of Business Models"

If you want to learn about bitcoin/blockchain/digital currencies/cryptocurrencies, I can mention the following, although I'm not sure if they're the best. I personally like the one by Melanie Swan.
Andread Antonopoulus, Mastering Bitcoin
Conrad Barski, Bitcoin for the befuddled
David Lee Kuo, Handbook of digital currency.
Melanie Swan, Blockchain
>>
>>1176473
Some interesting books, that I do not see as theoretical, but still great are.
Peter Fisk, Game Changers
Salim Ismail, Exponential Organizatinos
>>
>>1175170
Just worth noting for the people wanting to get an MBA.

I have family in investment banking and all of them said that most banks would prefer you just stick around oppose to getting extra education.

They did say it was subjective to the firm though, but, most prefer just sticking it out with them for the time that the others went and got their MBA.
>>
>>1176369

What? Shaq is pretty successful as a businessman. Or are you just some neckbeard NEET who thinks being a black athlete = dumb?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.