[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wat do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 1
Hey guise. Current Mexican (not so legally residing in US) here. So I am a Senior in HS and I am about to finish it but because I cannot get a legal job here in the US I need help choosing what to do.
>Option1: Finish HS, move to Mexico and try to rise in ranks (native English American is a plus)
>Option2 Wait for my current Visa to get approved (been waiting for 2 years) but no jon till then (could be 1 to 4 years more of waiting)
>Work illegally at minimum wage, no advancement and also thats illegal so I'd like to not ruin my perfect criminal record.

Before you ask, I was raised here in the US since I was 2 so I didnt even know I was illegally here till 11. I would like to study Computer Engineering but I am in a limbo right now because in Mexico everything is shit and I have a very short chance living comfortably. Or I can stay here in the US and take my chances but I'll stay poor and won't advance my education past HS level.

Sorry for formatting, on mobile
>>
>>1174776
Join the military. Do good. Citizenship given plus all the other benefits.
>>
Either go to college or join the military on the MAVNI program.
>>
>>1174776
The answer is obvious, Carlos.
Apply for citizenship.
>>
Gonna be a lot of work building walls in the next 4 years
>>
>>1174811
>>1174820
Can't join becuase I have shit vision and require glasses at all time. Maybe some exception? I tried Lasik but they told me it will barely improve my vision. Cant enter college because no SSN.
>>1174830
Already applied, like I said I have been waiting for 4 years, question is if I will receive it or not.
>>
>>1174857
Sorry for ID change on mobile network not WiFi
>>
Were you actually turned down at the recruitment office?
>>
>>1174965
Yes, for field/combat work. I can qualify for office/medical work but of course considering my age I dont have any of the skills the want.
>>
>>1175023
Try to get into office work, see if there are mentoring programs or something like that. Might want to hurry up, do it before Trump becomes president.
>>
>>1175023
wait how did you apply without a ssn?
>>
>>1175355
non-us citizens can apply to be in the us military. this is the only thing that anyone should be telling this guy to do. Serve the nation you want to be a part of; there are also great financial incentives you can take advantage of you further your education at a US institution.
>>
>>1174776
A señor in HS you say?
>>
teach yourself programming and do freelance work
>>
>>1175411
How quickly could one teach themselves to program well enough to freelance?
>>
Bro, learn to code.
Do some freelance work.
You got this.
>>
>>1175411
Didn't even see this post either
>>1175446
6-8 Months, focus on wordpress or ruby on rails.

I suggest starting off with C++ if you need a raw introduction to programming. From there, you should focus on the basic concepts of css and html ( which would be easy if you learned a good amount of c++ first ), then learn javascript. From there, you can choose to focus on wordpress or ruby on rails. Both have their benefits. Wordpress is better for freelance work, rails is better for employment. Either way, both frameworks introduce you to basic web development. I suggested learned C++ because when you get to this stage, this is where you'll need to have a solid grasp of programming in general to be efficient. Also, do all of this on linux, or OS x.

tl;dr
>Learn C++ on Ubuntu / OSx ( 3 months )
>Learn HTML / CSS ( 2 weeks )
>Learn JavaScript (1 1/2 months) **START WITH BOOK CALLED ELOQUENT JAVASCRIPT 2
>Learn PHP for wordpress or Ruby for rails
>I liked ruby much more than php :) but I work with wordpress at my job
>From there learn SQL, learn about web servers and stuff, github, go to meetups and stuff. but anything after u leran ruby or php you can probably wing it from ur previous experiance

Once you learn ruby or php youre all good bro.
and dont worry about not being american man. I'm not either :) most programmers are not
>>
>>1175459
>6-8 Months
Fuck, seriously..?
>>
>>1175466
Uhh - yeah.
But then you'll be rolling in bank.
Trust me, put in the work
>>
>>1175477
No I meant fuck, seriously it only takes 6-8 months? I spend like all my time strapped to a computer I should have done this ages ago!
>>
>>1175477
If it only takes 6-8 months why do people get 4 year comp sci degrees?
>>
>>1175536
Electives and shit, yo.

Plus, it's 6-8 months of basically treating this stuff like a full time job.
>>
>>1175459
Do you have any good C++ book recs?
>>
>>1175459
C++ then everything webdev?

what the fuck

atleast put him onto python so he can not only have fun but have something that's a bit more translatable into webdev
>>
>>1175459

Don't listen to this guy. Go full javascript/html/css

You can apply for mean stack positions where you do javascript on the frontend and javascript on the server.

C++ is literally useless for you to know or waste time with.

Learn HTML/CSS (2 weeks)
Learn javascript WELL (3 months)
Learn SQL (1 week) Search for stanford SQL course
Learn Node/Angular 2/build tools like gulp/webpack (2 month)

Then do some side projects and freelance.
>>
>>1175381
you still need a greencard to apply , where did he get it ?
>>
>>1174845
>underrated post
>>
>>1175396

>underrated post
>>
>>1175459
>>1175566
>>1175648

Thanks for the advice guys, any resources/books for these would be really welcome. I've tried shit like codeacademy but I need something to get me stuck in immediately, some hardcore shit, not kiddie bs.
>>
>>1174776
Marry your high school girlfriend.
>>
>>1176977
You don't need to. When I applied, they only asked for an ID. They do require more info was once you're accepted tho.
>>
Monitoring this thred, very useful info being dropped
>>
>>1174776

Whatever you do, don't go to fucking Mexico for any reason. Immigration stuff is really tricky, so please clarify what type of visa you're applying for. In the meantime, it sounds like you would qualify for DACA, which gives you a temporary renewable work permit for two years. So if you think you're going to be waiting for a long time, apply for that and get a work permit. Don't work illegally if you can help it, but if you do, try to stick to family businesses and lowkey work. Also depending on where you live, there's a chance that you could at least study and earn a degree at a community college.
>>
>>1174776
If you have no crimes you can apply for deffered action and a work permit. Its around 420 for thr filing msybe 200 if you have someone fill it for you.
>>
>>1174776
Honestly sodoku if you can't research

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/consideration-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca

Thatll be 100$ fag
>>
>>1174857
plenty of people have shit vision you just are limited to certain jobs, and have to wear virgin goggles During basic.

WTF was your score on the ASVAB that they told you no. Its an 8th grade level test.

Also if Military is a no go. Start an LLC or some corporation and show work and profits and apply under that license you have to employ 2 americans on your books and a few other things. You might be in limbo for a while but if you're paying taxes you'll be way low on the list.

>>1175355
you don't need to be a citizen to have a social.
>>
>>1177994
In typical Arizona. I was offered to complete my Associates degree when I was sophomore but I couldnt. Feels bad man.
>>1178154
Yeah, I know. But I am not useful for combat/field work and I was told to hace some of the office jobs I'd need a HS diploma at least (I am about complete next month) and/or certain skills for certain work (aka medical staff/tech staff)
>>
>>1178175
>>1177994

Basically told you how to get a work permit.
>>
>>1178179
But if I get DACA wont that cancel out my current Visa application? I am not sure which it is, my mother got some sort Visa and she was able to get us in the application process as we are immediate family members. Don't which I'll ask her when I get home.
>>
>>1178181
Idk consult a immigration expert, and wtf why would you want a visa over a work permit??
>>
>>1178185
Becuase the visa comes with work permit or something like that.
>>
>>1178188
If its for longer than 2 years than. I guess you can wait. For who knows how long. If you apply for the thing though you'll get in a couple of months. 6ish? Well less than a year at least.
>>
im in the same situation i feel ya dude but i got a permit for two years and now have been accepted in to college
>>
>>1178185
Oh yeah the Visa my mother was appliying for is a U Visa. She said that she was working for her boss who was forcing other illegals to work often woth little to no pay, she wasnt part of it but handled a lot of the his paperwork since he was some sort of contractor.
>>
also a senior in highschool
>>
>>1178204
Señor*
>>
>>1174845
This i cant wait to quit my job and build walls with pol
>>
>>1174776

Don't go back to Mexico that place is really turning to shit.

I would just start my own hustle. Do a landscaping thing, home cleaning, wash cars, cell phone repair. Just start your own thing where you make the money.
>>
>>1175396

He's got lots of essays.
>>
>>1175459
JP?
>>
You can start by BUILDING THE WALL
>>
There are plenty of states that allow undocumented students to apply thanks to the Dream act. California, New York, New Mexico, and quite a few others. Just apply to these state schools in the above states and you will be eligible for special scholarships and in state tuition.
>>
>>1178372
I've been thinking, moving to Colorado or Cali but it's going to require a shit ton of money
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.