[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about engineering degrees that make them so hot shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1459204148050.jpg (73 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
1459204148050.jpg
73 KB, 500x356
What is it about engineering degrees that make them so hot shit?
I know engineers are payed well, but is it 'just'
>Decent newly graduated wage
>You become worth more as your experience grows
>Contracts
that makes them good?

Would someone get the same benefits with a Computer Science Degree?
>>
>>1174191
It's like medicine and law, you get a special licence which states you're legally allowed to do [x,y,z]. Companies need a certain amount of [x,y,z] done and there are only so many people with the required licence, thus holding said licence makes you a rare and sought after commodity.
>>
>>1174191
If you really want CS degree, make sure you know an object oriented language, C/C++, and a third popular language as a minimum. Don't cut corners, make this your hobby, and avoid /g/ as much as you can. The more I learned about things, the more I found they know just barely enough to shit on people.

Internship is mandatory, and you need to try and become buds with the teacher that coded back when Windows wasn't a thing.
>>
>>1174191
Another problem is as you get older for stuff that requires a CS degree is that they are more and more inclined to hire new kiddos and just fire your ass, especially since unless you are constantly learning new shit, you are behind in knowledge of what new programs are being used.

Compare this to engineers,where it is harder to get a degree and the knowledge learned from school is around the same of what will be needed for most of the rest of your career.

I had one grandpa that was an engineer and another that does coding and networking, and there is a great difference.
>>
>>1174191
I have to also say that if you want to get a CSD, do it and be serious about it and don't let fuckers throw memes at you to try to dissuade you. Do what >>1174256 said and work hard to get the career you want. Good luck, man.
>>
Engineers are paid well, because there's a small amount of the population able to do it, and even fewer willing too.

Women don't do it in general, and you probably want an IQ of over 115. So maybe 7% of people can do it.
>>
Get "payed" nigga
>>
>>1174256
Yeah I mean you shouldn't be a credited CS program if your graduates haven't learned an object oriented language.

I got a job paying 80k a year plus overtime pay without having an internship and with a low GPA. Companies are always looking for programmers just gotta look in places besides silicon valley.
>>
Computer science is the 'gender studies' of STEM. You won't get anything that real engineers get, even if it's just as difficult.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.