[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pharma Industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 272717.png (82 KB, 1000x836) Image search: [Google]
272717.png
82 KB, 1000x836
What does /biz/ think about a career in the pharma industry? Is it mostly wagecuckery or a goldmine like the financial industry?
>>
>>1173995
>Is it mostly wagecuckery or a goldmine like the financial industry?

How good are you at outside investments?
>>
Holding an offer for MSc Statistics (Pharmaceutical), which I will accept.

I plan to study CFA Level 1 and take the exam in December. Furthermore, I can attend lectures from other courses (like the much more expensive MSc Quantitative Finance or the interesting MSc Data Science), for free, at the University.

Monitoring this thread.
>>
>>1173995
That depends. Bean counter or lab mo key?
>>
File: Logo_der_Bayer_AG.svg.png (10 KB, 99x99) Image search: [Google]
Logo_der_Bayer_AG.svg.png
10 KB, 99x99
>>1173995
BAYER
€42.23 billion
>>
>>1173995
>Is it mostly wagecuckery or a goldmine like the financial industry?
the first.
only a handful of people make good money in a pharma company. rest is wage-slave doing low added value work.
>>
Goldmine if you're good enough to get into management or other high functions instead of being a chemist.

I'm currently trying to get into MSc Drug Discovery & Pharma Management at UCL. What do you guys think of this program?
>>
>>1174320
>high functions
How far can you get as a mathematics guy in the pharma industry? Is that still on the wagecuckery part?
>>
>>1174343
Well I would think that with a mathmatics degree you would be more suitable for computational modeling or theoretical chemistry.

In both cases I do not expect a high wage.

Then again, big pharma companies do give high wages to valuable people. So it is possible.

Sorry for the vague answer but I just do not know where mathematics students really fit in the pharma industry.
>>
File: Capture223.png (86 KB, 983x254) Image search: [Google]
Capture223.png
86 KB, 983x254
>>1174320
Personally I would take MSc Drug Discovery & Development, because I like to keep the 'research route' open and would just attend lectures to learn from the other course.

Pic related, do you really want to be tested on that and need 'Management' on your CV?
>>
>>1174370
I understand exactly what you mean with the "Management" term since I myself hate the exaggerated use of it nowadays.

However, I would expect that I will not be declined a position solely based on the fact that the word Management is on my resume.

UCL is ivy league, especially in pharma. So the use of management here is not chosen randomly. I will expect that big pharma companies will recgonnize this as well.

Now, the reason why I chose to apply for management and not drug development, is based on my idea that drug development has a lot of generall courses(e.g. drug development for CNS).

What do you mean btw with
>do you really want to be tested on that

Tested on what? The topics from the picture?
>>
>>1174358
Yeah computational modelling and PDEs is what my university places a yuge emphasis on.
>>
>>1174543
Yeah and that is really important for chemical development. For example using models to indicate binding pocket or molecular orbital theory etc.In summary, computational chemistry.

These models are solely based on math and make use of computational modeling and programming.

Although it is becoming more important, I think it still more situated in research groups in academia or other public research institutes.

But it could well be that there will be a shift in the near future of computational chemistry going from academia to the commercial industry.
>>
>>1174320
chemistry grad student here

Big pharma as a chemist is incredibly difficult to get a job in. you need years of experience before you can even think about competing against the other applicants. reward is very high. I hear of chemists being paid 150k+ in big pharma. keep in mind these are chemists with 10+ years of experience with a PhD in (most likely) synthetic organic chemistry.

Alternatively, there are a shit load of smaller startup biiotech companies chemists flock to. good money there as well, but big pharma is another league because theres no risk of the company going under and you generally know what the fuck you are doing at that point.
>>
>>1174343
not very far
pharma industry cares very little for proper math.
in fact i pulled out some of my hair arguing with the motherfuckers about how to calculate and aggregate measurement errors.
they are retarded all of them the ones that make the rules and the ones that make the policies and the ones that do the medicine too. all of them fucking retards.
simple elementary math escapes them. and it works.
>>
>>1175977
>and it works.
by which i mean there is no incentive to ever change this.
they can sell their medicine and they can keep being deluded and keep deluding everyone else about making it right. so it remains the same.

i don't know if in other countries it's the same tho, but i see evidence how very little math especially higher math has to do with production of pharmaceuticals.

the average worker in a pharma plant is low education low income drone with not a single original thought. even the management is much the same only they make better money. middle management is informatically upper management is politically more capable.
>>
>>1174421
>ucl is ivy league

You do realize that ivy league refers to the geographic location of the school?
>>
>>1176000
>You do realize
Don't begin your posts with this
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.