[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recruiting Advice - Part 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: engineering-blueprint.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1319) Image search: [Google]
engineering-blueprint.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1319
Recruiter Thread PART 2: Get advice from recruiters. Ask questions about resumes, hiring tips, interview tips, and where to go when your major is shitty or seemingly doomed.

Areas of specialty:
>Manufacturing
>Automotive
>Chemical
>Logistics
>Recruiting

Careers of specialty:
>Account managing/Outside Sales
>Inside Sales/Administration
>HR
>Accounting
>Logistics - Ocean/Air Import/Export
>Production Control
>Engineering - Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical/Production/Process/Quality/Industrial/Manufacturing/Infotainment/Sales Engineering
>Field service
>Machine operation
>Blow/Mold Injection

Specialty Age Groups:
>New Grads
>Junior level
>Mid/Senior level
>Manager

If you can't find your specific career, ask anyways!

NOTE: I loved answering questions in the last thread, but it's dead. So I have decided to make this thread again. Thanks for the great thread last time!
>>
>>1173891

Are you a headhunter?

If so, what is the typical pay-through to the worker in a W-2 contracting situation? I have a friend working with a contracting company and my gut tells me that they're trying to take 40% of what the hiring company is paying for the position.
>>
File: Snapchat-7035159491857973807.jpg (543 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7035159491857973807.jpg
543 KB, 1080x1776
>>1173891
I'm targeting a career in finance, but can't decide between IB/PE etc or Management Consulting.

I go to a target school and have spoken to recruiters for both, but I still don't know
>>
>>1173907
Headhunter? I'm not sure I understand under what context.

I do not work with a contracting company; about 95% of our positions are direct-hire full time.

I'm fairly sure that the employee contracted is paid an hourly wage by the company while the contracting company's income comes from their client. In our cases, the contracts are a certain percentage of the hourly pay, but it's not taken from the employee but rather the company.

So if I contracted you for 10/hr, and assuming our percentage was 20%, you would make 10/hr while we got paid 2/hour or something similar to that. I honestly never work with enough contracts to tell you with confidence.

>>1173910
Unfortunately finance is not my specialty as most of my clients do all their financing hiring away from recruiters.

I would suggest do your research without the input of recruiters. Recruiters rarely are qualified to give you that much advice on such a specific specializations on that business field. Perhaps they might know, but eh I doubt anyone has worked with enough finance positions to accurately help. Ask people in those areas of the profession.
>>
>>1173924
>>1173910 here
Thanks for the tips
>>
>>1173891
how hard are the online assessment tests for pwc?

worried about the math component
>>
>>1173891
I'm a mathematics student pursuing either a pharmaceutical or financial career. What extracurricular activities can I do that HR people care about? I'm trying to make my resume stand out for an internship.

I'm getting good grades, I work as a tutor, and I want to enter the honours program next year. Any other things I can do now?
>>
>>1173891
how do i break 100k in the automotive manufacturing industry
>>
>>1173944

The tests are pretty easy. Practice shl tests and when you actually do them, don't guess the last questions if you run out of time. They also mark on your accuracy.
>>
>>1173944
Know your % changes, ratios etc.
The questions aren't hard, Just write down all the information you calculate as it may help in following questions.

The only challenge is the time pressure. I wouldn't guess unless it's an educated one as i'm pretty sure they use negative marking.

You might have to do a Verbal reasoning test and a situational strengths test. Just go with your gut for these.
>>
>>1173998
>Practice shl tests
where can i do this?

i can only find options to buy quiz packages
>>
>>1174003
To add to this, make sure you are comfortable with exchange rate calculations. They used diagrammatic tests for mine rather than verbal reasoning.

If you get invited to do the online tests, they give you practice assessments to do.
>>
The situational awareness tests are relatively straightforward. As long as you use common sense you'll be fine.
>>
>>1174033
>>1174034
will do cheers
>>
>>1173944
>>1173998
>>1174003

Thanks anons.

>>1173990
Engineering? Business? No degree? What's your situation anon?
>>
Currently in sophomore/junior year of college for an accounting degree. I've been working for about a two years as a math tutor through my school, but I'd really like to have some experience in accounting. My dream is to work for an international gaming company as either accounts or internal auditing, possibly higher, but in general I'd be happy in a techy "nerd culture" atmosphere.

I live in Atlanta. I have good grades and recommendations. What kind of work do you suggest I look for to gain relevant experience and look good to future employers? Thanks!
>>
>>1174180
Hey anon, since I have a personal interest in accounting, I have written down some keywords that we use to find accountants.

Hyperion/Oracle ERP, Vista plus, M/D General Ledger, CAS, DOS, SAS, peachtree, ACJ rapid record, Windows Apex, Access, S-force, Windows SPSS

SAP and Oracle/Hyperion are tier 1 ERP systems for corporations. While there is a lot of different things in accounting, usually we have requests for accountants with specific programs. If you have a way to practice using these enough to feel somewhat comfortable with using them, you can put them on your resume and receive more contacts.

I have more information that might be of use, but you chose a very specific industry. If what I posted above isn't new news, let me know if I can post more to help. As long as you have a bachelor's, some good keywords, and put your resume out there, you can expect lots of job offers. You can also of course apply to companies in that kind of industry too. But these keywords are huge when finding accountants!
>>
>>1174152
No degree on the assembly line looking to use the connections I have to grow.

Was going to get a mech eng degree but I would like the flexibility to move outside the heartland and still get a well paying job
22 btw
>>
>>1174200
4 years assembly experience was a temp for 6 months
>>
>>1174198
Forgot to add Quickbooks.

>>1174200
>>1174205
No degree limits you in a lot of ways, but we can try to work around this.

If you enjoy machine operating, CNC is a pretty good direction to go as it can reach up to 60k a year. CNC programming and set-up are the higher paying trades here, with G-Code and Mastercam being good programming languages.

You will never be an engineer unfortunately, but you can become a CATIA/CAD designer which actually does not require a degree. They basically do design functions like engineers. I recommend CATIA or Unigraphics as well as Solidworks as a starting point. They are highly in demand for manufacturing, especially in automotive.

Or you could do entry level business, but sounds like you're more hands on.
>>
>>1174198
>>1174213

Thanks - that's actually really useful. I've used Quickbooks a little bit before so I know the basic concepts, but I will definitely look for work where I'm using other kinds of accounting software on a regular basis. I've been planning to learn some Oracle database basics when I get a chance as well, so I'm moving that a few places higher on my to-do list.
>>
>>1174234
Yeah no problem! Other than SAP and Oracle, the other programs are for tier 2 companies that are medium or small. It honestly depends on where you apply to, because there's no easy way of knowing which software they use.

But yes, that's my biggest piece of advice to any new-grad accountant. Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions I'd be happy to help!
>>
>>1174213
i already make 60k doing assembly work

>you will never be an engineer

what's stopping me from getting a degree
>>
>>1174425
Oh I meant you can never be an engineer without a degree.

I wholeheartedly recommend going to get an engineering degree in your situation. I think you can easily survive without, but you can seriously advance with one.
>>
>>1174433
how do you feel about engineering tech degrees, I'm guaranteed to get a coop at my plant btw
>>
>>1173924

Thanks. Are you in human resources then? It's strange you don't understand the terminology I'm using. I've headed up hiring for companies before so I know most of what occurs in a direct hire scenario. However, I'm trying to figure out what's going on when an intermediary gets involved.

The situation I am helping someone negotiate is this. Suppose a company is looking to hire a contractor and is willing to pay $125/hr for that position.

A contracting company then digs up a candidate who the company likes. The company then pays the contracting company $125/hr and the contracting company pays the candidate $70/hr.

Does anyone here know if companies usually state a maximum skim that a contracting company can take? In the above example, the contracting company taking $55/hr is, IMO, outright unethical.

Even at 6 months, that's roughly $55,000.

I would think that most companies expect the contracting firms to take no more than 20%
>>
>>1173891
>Accounting
So I'm applying for TP at PwC (Tokyo office).

I passed the screening process and took a test and I'm set to get interviewed this week. What's the work life balance like at TP? I come from an auditing background, so I'd think I'd be fine as long as it isn't IB tier hours.
>>
>>1174436
Engineering tech degrees are usually frowned upon for engineering positions as they are not completely engineering degrees, but I have also seen a sufficient amount of engineers with them to say that you will be fine for employment. However, you might experience trouble when hopping between jobs. Find a job with good experience, stick with it, and let the experience overtake any worries about your degree.

>>1174452
My company is not American, though Americans work there. It's quite unique in its composition, so I have to be honest, I'm not familiar with recruiting lingo. But we are not HR, we are direct-hire recruiting; the middle man for companies and candidates.

>>1174502
My experience is almost exclusively manufacturing, automotive, etc. However, I am very familiar with Japanese culture, companies, and Japan. I'm bilingual :)

Assuming you are going to Japan to work in the Tokyo office, expect long work days that are quite relaxed. Socializing, frequent breaks, etc are all allowed, but some men get out of work as late as 9 or 11 pm. Then you will be pressured into getting drinks frequently with coworkers after hours. Japanese men love to drink.

Of course, every company is different in their own work culture, but this is pretty common. Weekends also might be filled with hanging out with friends or whatever. I'd say you have less free time than in America. But there are also a lot of holidays.

I hope I answered that, I have more info if you're looking for specific answers.
>>
>>1174787
Thank you for your response.

It seems I need to talk with someone who is willing to open up about what really goes on in recruiting in the U.S.

I think I know but what I currently believe is so depressingly dysfunctional and corrupt that it repulses me. :(

Wherever your company is based, it functions far more like what I expect a recruiting company to do.
>>
File: 1456969279745.jpg (40 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1456969279745.jpg
40 KB, 657x527
I guess this is as good of thread as any. I can't decide between business management n analysis and finance. Can someone give pros and cons for each?
>>
anywhere i can do shl tests for free and get per-question feedback?
been using this https://www.cebglobal.com/shldirect/en/practice-tests

getting shitty results for verbal not really sure which questions i'm getting wrong, fine for numerical though

also anyone know what tests deloitee uses?
apparently it's a single 25min test
>>
How bad is an employment gap of 18 months. I did it to make art after my Phd, so not like I'm some bum.

Any idea on the best entry level jobs for a PhD microbiologist?
>>
I just got a missed Phonecall from HR for a consulting firm. (It had the 020 dialing code which is from London and I had been receiving lots of calls about PPI compensation and shit lately from there, so i didn't bother picking up). They dropped their mobile asking if we could arrange a time to talk about the position.

They then sent me an email immediately after saying that they had left me message and wrote the same message about arranging a time in the email.

So should I just arrange a time by email, or ring their mobile.

Sorry if i'm overthinking this.
>>
>>1175778
call

but be prepared in case they want to do an interview on the spot over the phone rather than arrange another time
>>
>>1175782
Right I'll give them a ring tmrw, They rang me at 4:30 and i guess it's close to closing hour for them.
Cheers.
>>
intend to become estate agent in 4/5 months, have 2/3 months of work experience with good references and 3 years of customer service experience in a high end hotel. i am very good with words and talking to people in person, very eloquent and able to articulate. however i dont intend to go to uni, should i take some of these online courses or should i be able to get a job, or apprenticeship with my current experiences and qualities?
>>
I'm 22, just got my associates degree in general studies. I was originally going for creative writing, but I've discovered that is bullshit. I have an interest in webdesign, though I don't know much yet. I am tired of college, so for now, I'll take a break during the summer to pursue an internship and possibly to learn a trade. Some manufacturing/industrial engineering type shit possibly. Idk really. I have no plan desu senpai. Someone please help me.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.