[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw boomers don't even know how to use EXCEL beyond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 348976343.jpg (29 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
348976343.jpg
29 KB, 500x328
>mfw boomers don't even know how to use EXCEL beyond simple graphing and calculating SUMS and AVERAGE
>mfw I know several boomers earning well over $200k doing just this
>mfw a millenial gets paid $20k to do the same amount of work but atleast +5 years experience in SQL, Python, Java, C++, C#, Ruby, FORTRAN, HTML and Javascript is mandatory to get the job in the first place

I guess I should take a course in firm handshakes to improve my chances. R-Right /biz/?
>>
You should ask /r9k/
>>
Don't forget that your 20k is taxed to pay for their SS, which most likely won't be around when you die and if it still is, then it will have an negative ROI for you.
>>
>>1173386
If you earn $20k you pay little to no taxes.
>>
>>1173380

The person with bona fide skill and experience in the technologies you list will easily make more than $20,000.

Only the absolute shittiest companies, likely run by Indians or Arabs, would even dare to make such an insultingly low offer. Any legitimate company would offer at least $40,000 (insultingly low) but most would offer at least $75,000 if not $100,000+
>>
>tfw making $140,000/year with no prior experience

Feels good to be in a boom town.
>>
>>1173391
>Only the absolute shittiest companies, likely run by Indians or Arabs

Thats like what, most companies now
>>
>>1173419
No not really.

Go back to /r9k/ and keep falling for neet memes
>>
>>1173380
Daily reminder that ALL businesses are PYRAMID SCHEMES. Directors reap the rewards whilst the 'worker ants' do all the work.
>>
>>1173429
That's because they take on the majority of the risk, therefore they eventually get the majority of the reward if the company is successful.

How is that a pyramid scheme?
>>
>>1173431
>taking risks

Doubt you've ever worked in a professional environment given that response. FYI the 'worker ants' are those that get paid the least but generate the greatest turnover for a company. Fact is, they (myself as a civil engineer) take risks that could result in dismissal given any bad decision.
>>
>>1173454
My point is when you start a company you're taking massive risk, and working at a loss or at best not losing anything for the first few years.

THEN only if you do it perfectly AND get lucky do you expand to 20+ employees.

This is like asking why a Restaurant owner earns "a lot of money" and the cooks and servers barely earn anything despite "doing all the work". Because it's a huge risk for the owner.

>Restaurant fails
>Owner is down $100,000's of business loans
>Wasted a bunch of time
>Is fucked

>Waiter
>Gets paid his agreed age, restaurant closes
>Gets his severance and gets fired
>No debt, no issues

If it's so easy, go start an engineering firm then.
>>
File: 3840.jpg (52 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
3840.jpg
52 KB, 300x450
>>1173380
> +5 years experience in SQL, Python, Java, C++, C#, Ruby, FORTRAN, HTML and Javascript
> $20,000/year

So full of shit
>>
>>1173463
Directors are not necessarily company founders...they can be highly paid employees.

>If it's so easy, go start an engineering firm then.

The company I work for was founded by gangsters - the Irish mafia to be precise - guess you could say gangsters had an edge over their competitors.
>>
File: 1456377605306.jpg (170 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1456377605306.jpg
170 KB, 800x600
>>1173380
>mfw I know SQL, Python, R, Matlab, Hadoop, Javascript, C++.... and I make 120k per year updating weekly reports in Excel that somebody else created.
>>
>>1173498
Saved desu
>>
>>1173454
>networking for a Director position paying $400K a year is taking risks
lol
>>
>>1173380
Im fucking plying there's much more useful stuff to do with excel besides sums and averages
>>
>>1173390
If you earn $20k, you pay $1,530 in social security taxes, and about $1,000 in federal income taxes, and in my state a few hundred bucks in income taxes (not to mention the few hundred more in sales taxes).
>>
>>1173380
>mfw you don't actually know what they really do
>>
>>1173704
Have you tried the thick borders option?
>>
>>1173380
>+5 years experience in SQL, Python, Java, C++, C#, Ruby, FORTRAN, HTML and Javascript
>$20k

LOL okay. BTW, your experience on CodeAcademy doesn't really count as "experience."

>mfw boomers don't even know how to use EXCEL beyond simple graphing and calculating SUMS and AVERAGE
A lot of jobs don't require le epix hacker tier computer skills. Basic functions and pivot tables are the only things that are necessary for the majority of business type jobs.
>>
>>1173380

But anon, they have skills and experience! They know people! And they have mortgages and boats to pay for!

Of course they should make 5x what a new college grad makes.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 640x360
>>1173498
>tfw same qualifications and similar job but make half of what you make

I do make ad hoc reports sometimes though. I'd be jealous of you but given how little real work I actually do I can't really complain about my salary. Congratulations on an ezpz well paying job anon, enjoy it while you can.
>>
>work with 4 people in my department
>we have a boss, but we never see him
>he is clueless about what we do because he is never around
>2 older co-workers don't know the ERP system and bitch and moan about everything
>2 younger guys are ERP wizards who keep things going.

The best was seeing 1 of the older guys who did something right for once get thrown under the bus by the other. Boss is clueless about what happened so it did not work.

The work ain't bad, pay is alright, and the lack of women let us bro and perv out when we feel like it. I can't wait until I have 18-24 months at this job so I can move on to something better.
>>
>>1173481
>all engineering firms are run by gansgsters
the excuses with this guy
>>
>>1173481
Move to a place with less competition then if you think it's so easy to run a business.
>>
>>1173431
>golden parachute compensation plans
>taking risks

Keep drinking the kool aide
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.