[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This september I will be starting trade school to be in HVAC.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: sams.jpg (7 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
sams.jpg
7 KB, 276x183
This september I will be starting trade school to be in HVAC. I am excited for it, I just got a job 2-3 weeks ago at Sam's Club. I work in the kitchen and they are moving me to moving carts all day. The pay is good, 10 an hour. But I dont particularly like it, and I have really bad knees and a messed up shoulder so it makes these tasks even harder. Especially since there is no sitting at all. Should I stick with it till september? Or should I try to find something else till then. Once school hits, ill be going m-f 7-3 at school so I want to put all my time and effort into passing early so I can get started in my career. I live in Tennessee btw.
>>
>HVAC

>"I have really bad knees and a messed up shoulder"
You really didn't think about this AT ALL, did you?
>>
>>1171425
Well the knees only hurt from standing for 8 hours. during hvac I wont be standing 8 hours, you can sit or even lay down rather often. And the shoulder is okay, i just cant lift heavy things overhead. 50lbs plus. Which may be a slight problem but ill figure out something
>>
I think you're the same guy that has been posting for about a month about what trade to go into etc. Good to hear you picked up HVAC. See any type of labor as you just getting stronger. Your life will be so much easier if you are strong, as you'll be climbing up all sorts of awkward shit and carrying heavy objects (pails of glycol) ALL the time. Most havc guys need to be fairly strong, and it'll come in time, like it or not. Better start early, it will make your early years 100x better and everyone will actually respect you. Welcome to the blue collar world.
-Alberta buddy
>>
>>1171428
If you think you can make it in a labor intensive trade but can't even stand for 8 hours you need to really think this through.
>>
>>1171428
Bro if standing for 8 hours hurts you then you're not going to be able to do a physical labor trade, not standing, BUT LABORING for 8+ hours.

You're making a terrible choice.
>>
File: 1429547860831.gif (3 MB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
1429547860831.gif
3 MB, 264x240
I hope this is bait but this sounds so genuine
>>
>>1171463
I just gotta figure out how to get stronger
>>
>>1171473
Again, maybe some trades but most people dont stand for 8 plus hours. They get to sit. And since I will be getting paid good money, it makes things even better. I have to succeed at this, my other choices are gone and this needs to be successful
>>
>>1171763
Buy yourself a foam roller, watch youtube videos on how to use it for your legs and back, and start going to 2mile+ walks DAILY, NO EXCUSES YOU WEAK PIECE OF SHIT. There you go OP. No need to thank me when you start feeling better after a month of this.
>>
>>1171772
You will not see a desk in HVAC. You won't be standing either. Have fun.
>>
>wants to do a trade
>has messed up knees and shoulder
Mate, I hate to break it to you but there is no way you will be able to do this for very long. You aren't just going to be standing, you are going to be doing HARD LABOR for 8 hours a day. You don't get to sit down and "take breaks" if you want to finish your job on time and not lose customers. I recommend you go to physical therapy and start getting your joints fixed before it is too late.
>>
>The pay is good, 10 an hour.

The fuck? That's minimum wage in my state.
>>
>>1171788
What will this do to make me stronger? Should i foam every day?
>>
>>1171891
I dont have insurance for a therapist lol, thats why i need a good job like hvac to get me insurance. And I dont really agree fully with what youre saying. My dad was a boiler engineer which is also hard labor and he could sit most of the day. He could sit and do work too, doesnt matter. I will still get the job done
>>
>>1171419

Yeah I would quit Sams you are getting totally fucked. I used to live in TN and they love to pay people absolutely nothing there.

Anyway, if you are having trouble now, HVAC will be harder on back and knees. You will constantly be bending over and leaning, and it fucks you up.

Wear a knee brace on each knee. Raise and lower yourself with a pushup maneuver, never hinge your knees to get up and down.

Also stretch daily and get a massage 1x per month if you can.

I lay tile and this is what I do.
>>
>>1172157
Appreciate the advice. If you use proper form, it shouldnt fuck you up too bad, right?. Like never lift with your back but with your legs
>>
>>1171419
lol what kind of shit am i reading? you are going in a labor intensive trade. hvac is labor fucking intensive.

you really are stupid op. you should have worked for publix or costco.
>>
>>1172311
Can you enlighten me then since I am so stupid? Why should I have worked for either of those companies? And how is HVAC that bad compared to others? I have a few tendon issues in the body, nothing completely terrible where I cant do day to day stuff. Only think that hurts is heavy pressing movements like bench press.
>>
>>1172128
Yes every day, try for twice a day. Pay a lot of attention to your quads and calves with the roller. If you cant even stand up for 1/3 of the day without being miserable then you need to start staying on feet more. Try it. Start walking for 2 miles every day for the first 2 weeks, then up it to five. Wont even take you an hour if you hustle, and you get use that hour to scheme about your future. Your brain works well when your body is active. Find a way to consolidate the walking time, like if there is somewhere you go often, even if its to eat, within a five mile round trip from your starting point, then walk there. If you plan on going to the gym and its close enough, walk there. You are built to move man, not be sedentary and not to make excuses. Even if nothing relevant is within walking distance, enjoy the scenery, or take your fat pet with you and its day.

Youll love foam rolling after walks. Its going to be painful but its supposed to be and you are supposed to overcome it.
>>
>>1172330
*and make its day. Your pet, that is.
>>
>>1172330
I do foam roll sometimes, I have one of those green theraband rollers and a blue bigger one for bigger muscle groups. I do it once every day or two myself. Its the shoulder that hurts worse because of the biceps tendinitis desu. The knee will be okay as long as I dont run or walk like a retard
>>
>>1172339
You're gonna go for your walks, senpai. Fuckin way she goes. How about you google biceps tendonitis and figure out how to deal with it like you would with any other sort of bodily mechanical ailments. Here is hint, it involves massage, stretching, and exercise.
>>
>>1172386
I have obviously done that, there isnt much information on the type I have

I have long head of the biceps tendinitis. Which is probably an osis by now. Contradicting treatment everywhere you go. Some say to do myo-fascia release on it, some say never do it. Like how the fuck am i suppose to know
>>
>>1172386
>>1172396
OP here again, my shoulder is way worse than my knee
>>
ugh
>>
>>1172422
Torn rotator cuff? Or labrum?
>>
>>1172512
I had antro MRI"s done when I have insurance when i lived in illinois. The MRI said I had a labrum tear. Had surgery, after surgery the doc said it wasnt a labrum tear but something called a faramen. But they cleaned out bursa and shit in there, and since the surgery the long head of the biceps tendon is messed up and here I am. Surgery was in september and it is april now.
>>
>>1172517
It's the stationary engineer from Alberta again, I know some guys that use kneepads for some jobs and they seem to like it. I don't know about foam rolling, but weight lifting like squats with 30lb weights should be easy enough on the joints and will get your body producing some muscle. I do light weight, high rep shit on the weight machines and then cardio. It's only been a month and any normal labor I do feels like child's play.

Don't listen to these guys saying you're too fucked for the job. You repair the shit, walk through buildings and mostly use wrenches and screwdrivers, i doubt you'll be carrying a fucking massive AC unit on your back. I just meant on my first post that getting stronger will save your ass one day because you won't be too weak to loosen some rusty bolts and look like a bitch. Or not be able to carry a ladder.
>>
>>1172679
Appreciate the advice man.
>>
>>1172679
I need to go to the doctor
>>
>>1172258

> proper form

proper form is fine for 6 hour days, the problem is when you do 8 - 10 hour days. And/or when shit goes wrong and you gotta work quickly.

Form goes out the window and you just start hunching around and working to get the job done.

After a while, even perfect form and the body starts to break down.

When I first got into the business I was working too many hours and one of my knees expanded to softball size, just due to all the constant hinging movement.
>>
>>1173580
Great now im getting scared to do it
>>
File: few money.jpg (59 KB, 470x600) Image search: [Google]
few money.jpg
59 KB, 470x600
>>1171419
>The pay is good, 10 an hour.
anon, just...
>>
>>1171419
>The pay is good
>10 an hour
Is this what people think is good now a days?
>>
>>1173808
>>1173817
Im used to getting 8 or so lol
>>
>>1172314
You'll be fine. Look at most of the people in trades. Many have skinny arms and big bellies. Unless you're a Mexican doing roofing or carpentry, it'll suck but not as back breaking as these NEETs would have you believe.
>>
>>1173832
really?
>>
>>1173587

You can always quit.

Never ever be afraid to tell someone "I quit".

The world is full of opportunity and way too many people stick to a strenuous path, when all they had to do was take a few steps in another direction once in a while.
>>
>>1173839
I havent started the hvac job yet, unless yer tlaking about sams club
>>
>>1173808
>>1173817
Guess what niggers, 7.25 is the national minimum wage. 10 bucks in a state like that is pretty good
>>
>>1172314
Costco is well known for having best pay in the industry and good benefits. Not who you replied to, and haven't been to a publix some I was 6, so not sure why publix was suggested.
>>
>>1173864
Yeah costco is like 40 minutes away and sams club is 18 minutes away
>>
>>1173876
idk
>>
>bump
>>
>>1171425
If he finds a good job he can get away with basically just standing all day. The HVAC techs at my job basically just fix refrigerators that are lifted on tables. They never have to bend down or do anything too crazy. I see them sitting down most of the time too.
>>
>>1175282
thanks for the imput
>>
hmmm
>>
Do low voltage electrical and become an alarm guy if you need a low impact job- HVAC will rape your body.

T. Plumber with heating and air conditioning license
>>
do you live by a whole foods? They start at 11. Might have to start as a cashier before you can switch to a cool department like meat or seafood.
>>
Man, I've got to admit, I don't think I'd work for $10/h. I'm glad you found something you enjoy, but fuck, only $80 a day is heart breaking.
>>
>>1175879
I said I hate it, i dont enjoy it at all lol
>>1175698
Hvac really rapes your body? Fuck...
>>
>>1176444
yup
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.