[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /biz/. I have a sucky portfolio with winners and losers. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1457621714271.jpg (88 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1457621714271.jpg
88 KB, 640x640
Hi /biz/. I have a sucky portfolio with winners and losers. I'm slowly climbing back. When I reach a level of zero net gains, what should I do? Dump the losers and pump more into the winners?

> pic not related.
>>
>>1167719
dump the winners and put more in the losers
>>
>>1167729
That was my initial thought, but they just keep sinking.
>>
>>1167719
Need a couple of bits of information. 1: What are your long-term goals? 2: What level of risk are you willing to take?
>>
>>1167719
You should stop succumbing to the sunk cost fallacy.
>>
So you're asking if you should break the buy low sell high rule?

Youre being a fucking idiot without realizing it. When you sell losers, you lock in losses. When you keep winners, you keep also their potential to become losers. If all you ever did was sell losers and buy/keep winners, your portfolio will just keep getting smaller and smaller.

Suggested reading: the wikipedia article on mean reversion
>>
>>1167719
Go with momentum, let go the winners and go all in with the losers, if you want to reduce risk you can hedge your stocks with some options or similar stocks
>>
>>1167719
Just do what that old guy says and buy dividend paying stocks. Then forget about them. It's hard making money buying and selling; trading. Stock at least.
>>
>>1167719
sell 50% portfolio and invest those 50% in myanmar
>>
>>1168222
Long term goal - retire with enough funds to live off of...hopefully in 15 years max. I'm 30 now.

Risk level? Shit, I've been -1k in a 10k portfolio, so pretty high imho.
>>
>>1168285
Thanks for the suggested read. Will definitely check it out
>>
>>1168438
I'll need some reading on this.
>>
>>1168577
Yes, sir, I have a couple with dividends. I'll be buying enough $T to gain one stock per quarter. .. I think that's about 100 shares?
>>
>>1169599
Thanks. That being the case, drop your current losers and put whatever you were going into AT&T into Frontier instead. Higher dividend yield with better growth potential, BUT it's a second-string MSO so you might end up eating your shit. Right now the prospective is all over the place. Ford Equity and RT say sell. Jaywalk and The Street say hold. Market Edge and S&P Equities say buy and go long.
>>
>>1167719
get out of it at 0.

Study some more for at least a year. Get test software/ virtual prgrams running and try out your new knowledge. If you made a profit with your strategy over a year you should have enough money on the side to start again.

A rule for investment: NEVER FUCKING EVER invest money that you wouldn't mind to just fucking burn or throw away. You even asking here shows that you fucked up the most important rule and you aren't worth more than a fucking gambler. - if you need 1.5k to live the life you want and you have 500 profit but could/ need to help your family etc. do that. If you have 500 that you would spend on shit material (new car, bimbo girlfriend, nice stuff) put it to the side and invest

Since your question suggests you didnt understand this basic principle leave this shitplace and start reading stuff that the pros have. Yes all those shitty books that have nothing to do with trading/stocks in the first place
>>
>>1169666
Which frontier? Do you have a symbol?
>>
>>1169803
It was money I saved up from not buying bullshit, so I would have wasted it anyways and don't really NEED it. Just thought I'd do something more productive than letting it sit in a checking account.
>>
How about some vanguard funds, anyone?
>>
>>1170362
>momentum cucks ITT
>muh mean reversion

Stocks are pieces of real companies, making real things. There's no automatic 'mean reversion' for the simple reason that some companies are inherently worse and some inherently better.
>>
>>1170362
Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you.
>>
>>1168285
Based on the instinct of rookies that say "stocks that go down will always go up"? Well no. Many stocks have been up in the 3-400 pricerange, and steadily gone down till they have reached "the bottom" as TA fags are looking for, and stayed there for five years. Im sorry, but you seem to be the idiot here, advicing OP to throw good money in after bad money.

To you OP, i would recommend keeping your winners, selling your losers, and invest the remaining money in other stocks.

Remember to do your homework boys, may the fundamentals be with you
>>
>>1169599
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>1170649
Can you elaborate?
>>
Investing is akin to gambling if you're not an insider.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.