[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canadian Finance General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10
File: 1459208101080.png (133 KB, 1000x846) Image search: [Google]
1459208101080.png
133 KB, 1000x846
Where ya studying/working/investing bois?

BTW why the fuck do we get shafted so hard on all the good credit card reward programs?

I'm personally buying VFV but I learned that withholding tax is cucking me in registered accounts so there's that...
>>
Well?
>>
when do we get our free weed family?
>>
>>1167691
Dunno. I don't smoke weed anyways, kind of shitty activity tbqh.
>>
W e l l?
>>
Well
>>
Saving everything for the next crash.

Ever hear of bespoke tranche opportunities? They're credit default swaps with a new name and they're exploding. Low rates and cheap money is forcing capital back into the same risky investments that kicked off 2007.

Only a matter of time now, boys.
>>
>>1167970
Nice try, /pol/.
>>
>>1167635
>studying / working

Presently, in the super slow oilfield.
6 months from now, RCAF doing avionics tech.

Have $40,000+ TFSA, using it to do investing. Other savings & stuff amounting to a few grand.
>>
>>1167985
Wut u buying in your tfsa?

I'm holding VFV only, not sure if the US foreign with holding tax makes it not worth holding in registered accounts. Since on the one hand gains aren't taxed but 15% not returnable Withholding tax...
>>
>>1167970
Crash ended in January. Might have to wait a bit. You're missing some easy dividends right now.
>>
>>1167988
If you have it in a RRSP, you end up getting an offsetting tax credit to make up for the withholding tax.

I find companies listed on the tsx, but operate in America to be easier.

STB is an american school bus operator. Pretty reliable and a good dividend.
>>
>>1167988
iirc having us equities in tfsa is okay but if they pay dividends it's shit
>>
>>1167991
But how much of a difference does it really make? Do the benefits of the TFSA outweigh it?

My portfolio is only about ~$20k.

I CBA dealing with RRSP since I heard there's a lot less benefit with it it you're younger and better to keep it until you make FAT_RAXXX with your actual career since it's tax-deductible contributions.
>>
>>1167988
Bombardier and a couple oilfield companies on the TSX.

Waiting for the eventual climb.
Bought them during their lows, playing the long game.
>>
>>1167997
I'm using the TFSA to avoid the CRA raping me with capital gains tax.
>>
>>1167985
>>1168003
>>1168004
Huh.. must have changed cellular towers, my IDs don't match no more.
>>
>>1167991
>>1167995
>>1168004
You cucks need to explain if I'm doing this correctly or not.

Should VFV be in non registered account??? So I get a tax credit for the withholding tax
>>
>>1167995
TFSA doesn't allow VFV.

>>1167997
Right now the Canadian dollar is at a relative low, gains from VFV will depreciate over time.

Check out Northern Blizzard. Oil company with great hedging. Shares pay a 1% dividend every month.

It's kind of hard to give advice about RRSPs. Like you're only going to withdraw to get a home purchase, and then when you're in your 60s?

I'd save up the contribution room for later, and try to get your TFSA maxed first.

>>1168008
You get the credit if it's in your RRSP.
>>
>>1168020
Yes it does. VFV is tfsa and all accounts eligible, what the hell are you talking about?

On some Canadian investing blog it says to NOT buy VFV-type stocks in your TFSA

I'm 20 years old, is it a good ides to keep my portfolio in TFSA only holding VFV for now or am I fucking myself in the ass somehow?

I'll check out Northern Blizzard but seems a little early to be going for dividend paying companies right now with my pitiful portfolio.
>>
>>1167970
>>1167989

What are you guys talking about? You two seem like you're onto something. Please educate me on these opportunities.
>>
>>1168040
Well
>>1167970
Is saying that they should do something with similar results to short selling, assuming a very large crash is coming up.

I'm saying the opposite, and market value is a little low. I could easily see the TSX bouncing back to 15000 in 2017. You can ride dividend paying companies up that 15-20%.

>>1168036
I don't know why you would want to buy the S&P 500 right now. It's pretty close to an all time high, don't know how much higher it will get.
>>
>>1168043
Because I believe it will hit 3 000 in no time.

Help me with the TFSA shit tho
>>
File: 1459030427782.jpg (59 KB, 480x445) Image search: [Google]
1459030427782.jpg
59 KB, 480x445
>>1167635

>Buying VFV
>Overpriced American equities
>Instead of under-priced and superb value TSX equities as the commodities rebound with oil and gas.
>>
>>1168065
>He has faith in the Canadian economy and the shitshow of the TSX and not glorious s&p savior

Kek. Commodities are not rebounding for years, at least. They're old news senpai. S&P will hit 3 000 - 4 000 in a year or two.
>>
>>1168073

The demand for copper and industrial metals will not disappear. There's been too much supply from the mining extravaganza in the preceding 7 years but that's going to get eaten up.
>>
BTW, I've got $2500 to contribute to my TFSA this month and thinking about something a little riskier and I want interest dammit.

Should I look into REITs? How do their interest payments compare?

What are the best dividend paying companies on the TSX?
>>
File: 1407567563466.jpg (505 KB, 1392x1528) Image search: [Google]
1407567563466.jpg
505 KB, 1392x1528
Who /couch potato/ here?

>25% VFV
>25% TD e-ersies canada
>25% TD e-ersies international(mostly europe and japan)
>25% TD e-series bonds
>>
>>1168086
Here SENPAI.

Except I'm 100% VFV, kek.

>>1168080
Maybe so, I'd rather stay out of commodities and ride with the one true God, S&P.
>>
>>1168043

The market is fucked. John Q dumbshit wants perpetual 10% returns on his investments. The fed is making that impossible right now so his only option is the risky shit.

Bespoke tranche opportunities were a 5 billion dollar market in 2013. By 2014, it was 20 billion.

They are doing it again, fellow maple bro.
>>
>>1168084
REITs are ok. Cominar is the one I find has the best balance of a low P/E, but a high dividend.

https://tsx.exdividend.ca/
Works pretty well for finding good dividend payouts.

For the best dividends, you're usually looking at small to mid size companies.

NBZ has risk from being in oil, and pays a good dividend.
>>
WHO HERE /WORK AT TIM HORTONS/?
>>
>>1168138
Dividends are a meme unless you have a $500k+ portfolio.

Stick with le 3-fund investing idiots
>>
>>1168143

Dividends are no meme when it's a slow and steady lifetime tax-sheltered account where they get reinvested automatically.
>>
>>1168165
S-should I buy that Northern Sperm shit or whatever instead t-then?

You guys are making a good case for it desu.
>>
>>1168143
>not wanting to pay $0 tax on income up to $50000

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/investment-ideas/strategy-lab/dividend-investing/you-do-the-math-almost-50000-in-earned-dividends-0-in-tax/article4599950/

Government makes tax policies to encourage long term investing in Canadian companies. Eligible dividends should be your best friend.

Don't forget leverage. Borrowing money and putting it in dividend paying companies has made Buffet $70 billion so far. So you only need a portfolio of $280k.

They're also good for beginners, because they teach patience as even if your stock is down 4% for the year, you can still have net gains.
>>
>>1168182
Tru.

Should I do 50% VFV 50% some dividend cuck shit? Help me senpai
>>
>>1168138

Just placed an order for $2k of Quebec real estate.

REITs are a superior form of real estate exposure compared to actually buying a stinking, rotting house for some crazy bidding war price in Toronto.

$500 is going to go into some small oil resources company struggling to survive.
>>
>>1168143
Any really decent dividends makers on the TSX?
>>
>>1168187
>He places orders when markets are closed

I sure hope that's not a market order... Enjoy getting cucked tomorrow lmao
>>
>>1168186

50% of your shit should be something like government bonds in case your equities go to shit. They will be buffered by the rise of fixed income assets.

As you get older, you will hold less and less equities and more fixed income assets.

At least according to this basic bitch theory.

Remember, you're not gonna get rich with long term investing, it will allow you to die with dignity. If you want to get rich you need to take much greater risks and start a business or do some extreme margin trading and get lucky, which is basically gambling.
>>
>>1168191

I specified the price.
>>
>>1168194
Yeah I know senpai. I just want a place to store my dosh.

So far only been buying VFV every month or so. I figured it's the smartest choice, all considered.

But what is this dividend shit, is it really worthwhile desu?
>>
File: LlmS8sm.jpg (105 KB, 600x718) Image search: [Google]
LlmS8sm.jpg
105 KB, 600x718
>>1168216

When did you buy your VFV?

I bought early this year and so far I'm 2% down.

All of my dividend stocks are doing way better.

Fuck indexes. They were only good in the post-2008 era of Fed stimulus pump and dump.
>>
Any recommendations for extra reading/resources on this topic in Canada that isn't from 1990? The library in my town is shit
>>
>>1168223
Most of it bought at around $47.10 on average.

Fuck dividends desu, it makes no sense to me

>>1168228
Wut town u in
>>
Queen's Commerce, starting math degree next year

Finance is a dead field, analysts are going to be replaced by bots, FA and TA are pseudoscience

Get out while you still can
>>
>>1168237
B-biz l-lied to me... Jk I didn't fall for the meme.

Accounting master race.
>>
>>1168194
>50% of your assets should earn 3% a year

Use drips to buy more shares at low prices when equities are in trouble

>>1168190
Yes, see
>>1168138

Be a little weary of the stuff that's 10+, but there's some good niche stuff that gets a steady profit and little competition.
Ag Growth International
Rogers Sugar

>>1168216
I like it. There's a etf FIE, that does an monthly payment that ends up about 7%. When you have stuff like that, you can put it in a drip in your TFSA, and forget about it. It's funny, when you're in a drip, you almost like it when shares go down in value, because you get more shares from your drip.
>>
>>1168223
>Fuck indexes. They were only good in the post-2008 era

Indexes only work if you buy after the bottom, and sell at the peak. Long term you can go 10 years and end up at the same value. With the big indexes, you only get 2% dividend payments, which barely beat inflation.
>>
>>1168242
>TFW none of this makes sense so you're going to stick with being a VFV index-goy

Fuck it desu, it can't be that bad.

I'm just gonna keep buying the shit.

Pls 47.10 - 51.00 by this summer
>>
>>1168241

Accounting is even worse... there won't be accountants in 10 years
>>
>>1168228
Should really just pick up the business section of the globe and mail. Any terms you don't get, just go to investopedia.

You're best off after you've seen a full market cycle from bust, boom, bust. When you start to know the market trends it gets a lot easier.
>>
>>1168253
Help me family I want to not be poor anymore

AM I GETTING KEKED BY VFV?

>>1168252
Everything fucking sucks, I'll jump off a bridge by that time anyway dude
>>
File: s&p 500.jpg (56 KB, 907x515) Image search: [Google]
s&p 500.jpg
56 KB, 907x515
>>1168261
There's two factors to consider. Will the S&P continue to go up? It's close to all time high right now. Will the Canadian dollar continue to go down? It seems like it's started to rise.

If you don't utilize basic market timing, then you're going to be a bagholder with VFV.

The time to buy it was in 2013 when the dollars were at parity, and the CAD started to decline. But the S&P 500 doesn't average growth of 20% which is what the 2013-5 did. So after that large increase, I think it's going to flatline a bit.
>>
>>1168277
But /biz/ told me that the CAD would not be reaching anywhere near parity for a year or more...

Also since I'm dollar cost averaging, doesn't that pretty much negate the effects of it?
Since I'll be buying all throughout both the gains of CAD and potential losses of the s&p?
>>
File: comp.jpg (99 KB, 1206x514) Image search: [Google]
comp.jpg
99 KB, 1206x514
>>1168286
Are you Native or something? I'd sooner trust a chief with money than you.

Even if CAD isn't going to be up to par, it probably is pretty close to bottom.

Over the same period one is up 11%, one is up 37%. Why? The Canadian dollar went down. Unless it continues to go down, you aren't going to get that currency multiplier.
>>
What makes up the bulk of Canada's share market in terms of market cap?

In straya it's basically four large banks, two large miners, two large retailing conglomerates, two large pharma and some investment banks
>>
Pharmacy. I hate it but it's a living and it's too late to quit now. Oh well, at least I can max out my TFSA after a little over a year.
>>
>>1168497

Old post, but what don't you like about pharmacy? Are you an assistant or an actual pharmacist?

Potential pharmafag here
>>
File: tsx.jpg (98 KB, 1004x566) Image search: [Google]
tsx.jpg
98 KB, 1004x566
Sector weighting can vary a lot. A few years ago banks were less, and energy and materials more. When oil peaked in 2014, energy was as big as banking.

There's the big 5 banks. The government prevents outsiders, and the current 5 from merging. Energy is anywhere from 20-30% depending how much oil and gas costs.

Mining companies are usually around 15%. The TSX has the second most listings in the world. This is mostly because it's such a mining index. Many of these mining operations have a mailbox in Toronto or Vancouver, and have all of their operations outside the country.

Industrials are around 5%, there's two big railways. I think Bill Gates is the largest individual owner of them. He has a billion invested in each. Telecommunications is kind of like banking. Government wont let in competition, there's 3 big ones.
>>
File: Yikes.jpg (53 KB, 648x484) Image search: [Google]
Yikes.jpg
53 KB, 648x484
I dont know much about stocks, and have 10k
Please advise. I also dont think the canadian economy is going to bounce anytime soon, as a young canuck it's pretty discouraging
>>
>>1168869
Vfv
>>
>>1168699
Actual pharmacist. Or I will be in 4 months. Job prospects are bad. You have to move to the middle of nowhere to get a job. No one respects you and you're responsible if anything goes wrong. Hours are shit and they expect you to work 8 hours straight without lunch. The work is tedious but you have to stay sharp you kill someone. However the pays good and you're making 80K+ a year starting. Overall I give it 2/10.
>>
>>1168699
Which school would you like to go to? What are your other prospects?
>>
bought some blackberry and teck stocks.
>>
>>1170179
Living in the middle of no where while making 80+ grand a year would allow you to live like a king.
>>
>>1170919
Middle of nowhere is the best life man. Quiet, the air isn't shit, and usually there's crown land you can go fuck around on not too far away.

My hope is I can find something out there when I'm done school but I don't know how many prospects there are for math graduates out in the sticks.
>>
>>1170919
If you're going to the middle of nowhere you're making 100K+. Prince George is $55 an hour starting.

I'm thinking about it but I hate the cold. Maybe some small town on the island would be best.
>>
How about those GDP numbers today, 0.6% growth for January? Annualized rate of 5% growth!

Things are finally starting to look up, and fuck is it about time.
>>
I suggest you all look into "SEV - Spectra7 Microsystems" and check out their presentation.

VR/AR is the future and the next big thing in our future years ahead...

OCULUS RIFT use their chips and the reviews have been highly praised
Microsoft have grown the development on AR tremendously over the past few years...

Previously, these products were made for hardcore/niche market but with all the upcoming VR from HTC VIVE/PLAYSTATION VR/SAMSUNG GEAR VR/ LG VR will really open up the market to all levels of consumer...

If you ever tried on a proper VR (Not some crappy BOX VR), you know VR is not a gimmick...

Check out this video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d59O6cfaM0
Imagine the usage of this AR...

The sky's the limit...
>>
>>1171420
Good tip, I'll buy a few hundred. It's rated a strong buy at the globe and mail.
>>
>>1168869
Who do you think is going to do well in the future?

You can find an ETF for that and buy it.

I would, and have, bought Canadian energy companies. But I think the oil collapse is over and we are on our way back to slow steady recovery. If I'm wrong then I lose money.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 760x1270) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 760x1270
>>1171420
Their chips are used in cables, not the actual VR component. It might rise a bit, but I wouldn't touch that just based on the volume.

Also,
>he STILL hasn't bought Arht Media
>>
File: opec.jpg (87 KB, 616x546) Image search: [Google]
opec.jpg
87 KB, 616x546
>>1171728
>If I'm wrong then I lose money.

If you're wrong, then there will be massive instability in the middle east and oil will go back up.

If oil holds at $40/bbl, Saudi Arabia will be broke in 3-5 years.
>>
>>1171420
seems like it's just Microsoft? doesn't mention "SEV"
>>
>>1167635
>VFV
So you bought your first stock?
>>
>>1171787
>Arht Media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54axfP7tfe8

Might buy a few hundred
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.