[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
University vs Trade School
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: mw-hair-trends-7171.jpg (52 KB, 443x686) Image search: [Google]
mw-hair-trends-7171.jpg
52 KB, 443x686
Which option is the better one in terms of long term sustainability, usefulness, fees, etc?

About to graduate high school (18 year old senior) and I need advice. I live in central Florida if that helps.

pic unrelated
>>
Trades are better unless you can get a full scholarship somewhere and study something useful
>>
90% of people in college don't belong there or study something that won't get them a job.

Do with that information what you will.
>>
Forgot to add.

If I go with trade, what trade is better to learn, in terms of income, job availability, etc?
>>
>>1167329
fellow central floridian here.

you want to get into a trade, go into flooring like tile and shit. market to housewives making renovations, start your own tile company.

if you want to have a professional career that isnt blue collar, try to get into a top school, (UF would probably be best for in state). good luck.

also i too fell into the trap of "what job pays most and has most growth, thats what i want!" then you do it for a few months and want to kill yourself. you can seriously make a buttload of money in any field you choose. so long as you excel in that field.
>>
>>1167329
100% Trade. University teaches theoretical while trade teaches practical. Plus, it's cheaper since they don't pad the degree with useless courses such as art appreciation or PE.
>>
Oh, and be careful with for-profit schools. Most of them are useless and not accredited. Best thing to do is go to a community college.
>>
>>1167329
enjoy your joint pain lmao.
>>
>>1167357

What "real job" did you do before realizing it sucks and going into blue collar work?
>>
>>1167336
What if I were to get a loan to become a mechanical engineer? Not from a community college, but not super well known either.
>>
File: what the fuck.gif (2 MB, 370x335) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.gif
2 MB, 370x335
I don't think I've ever seen a thread on /biz/ with advice as bad as this.

are you people literally so retarded and unmotivated that you are chomping at the bit to repair air conditioners for the rest of your life?

I literally have a mental disorder, went to college, and am making 70k in the midwest at the START of my career, jesus christ.
>>
Go to university

t. trade school grad
>>
>>1168122
Pretty sure most people here are trolling.

I know FOR A FACT that the majority of 4chan users are not suited for doing physical labor all day for 30 years.
>>
>>1168025
im not in blue collar work, i was in flooring. making buckets of cash with a dude who was doing mainly tile work and had been doing it for years. was turning down people, making good money, own hours, smokin weed on breaks whenever i wanted them, but fuck that shit dude.

make sure you enjoy it before you go pluggin away 40+ hours a week at something. otherwise itd be a big part of your life spent being miserable.
>>
>>1168122
What's your career if it was THAT easy?
>>
>>1168151
developer at a bank
>>
>>1167329
depends. how smart are you? what do you want to do with your life? how good are your social skills?
you can make a lot of money as both a qualified trades person and in certain fields.

personally, I'm setting up a gourmet mushroom growing business. I went to university and found that they dont teach you how to do shit but rather prepare you to learn to work for someone else. similarly, a trade will prepare you to work for a larger company then you need to go and learn for yourself how to run a business as a sole trader then restructure if you get enough business to employ others.

as there is no course in my country that teaches agricultural mushroom production, I have learnt it myself, built my own lab and learned how to construct and pick equipment needed.

avoid going to university or trade school if you have such a niche skill. it's like, if you grow up on a farm, you dont need to go to ag college to learn how to do shit. you've already learnt it. or are you directionless and skillless?
>>
>>1167395
Joint pain? Maybe if you're a malnourished manchild.

I've been building roof and floor trusses for the past 4 years. I have the body of a greek god and I've never felt better.

I come home to my beautiful wife, fuck 5-6 times a week because the testosterone from actually being active makes me alpha as fuck.

Making $25/hour, 120 hours of vacation a year.
Full health, dental, mental benefits for myself, my wife, and my children (if i ever decide i want some).
5 day work week, from 5 am to 3 pm.
The day goes by in the blink of an eye, because the only downtime is lunch break.
I got 200k off the purchase of my house, because I literally built half of the framework for the thing, and the homeowners program at this company is phenomenal.

I'm being tailored to be the owner of this particular truss plant in another 4-6 years. My current boss started from nothing, same position as myself. He drives a $200,000 luxury car and lives in a 10,000 square foot house on a 60 acre plot.

I trade stocks and crypto as a hobby, and run a small woodworking shop out of my garage which nets about 20-30k a year.

>blue collar work is shit
Eat a dick.
Ill be retiring at 45 if I don't want to work anymore, but I'll probably work until I physically can't anymore.

You'll be shilling ETH until you commit suicide.
>>
>>1168207
How did you get into this? Go to trade school? Just go to construction sites? generally curious.
>>
>>1168207
That's a nice fantasy but you'd be better off telling it to /pol/. They'll eat it up.
>>
>>1168207
Congrats anon, aside from the degeneracy sounds like you've made it.
>>
>>1168215
I applied online and was hired with no experience.
They were hurtin for workers and I got hired.

From what I've heard, they're hiring all over the country (in states where they have plants, obviously).

Google "STOCK Building Supply", apply online.

>>1168221
kek, it was a fantasy 5 years ago.
Try working hard some time instead of losing your money to shitcoins and daytrading. It might do you some good.

>>1168226
And yeah, still a degenerate.
I love me some morphine/percocet to make the day smooth as silk.
>>
>>1168230
Topkek I hope someone falls for this b8 and becomes a tradesman

I need some more people to laugh at
>>
>>1168207

>HONEY, YOUR MAC AND CHEESE IS READY, I ADDED YOUR ANIME FIGURES ON THE TRAY JUST LIKE YOU SAID
>>
>>1168233
Believe what you want. :)

>>1168236
Nothin in the world like a bit of kraft & hot glue.
>>
>>1167351
BUMP
>>
>>1168175
What school did you go to? What was your major?
>>
>>1169419
electrician if you're actually smart and will take your job seriously.

anything else if you just want money and be told what to do and ma happy with that.
>>
>>1169442
be happy*
>>
File: 1426797109720.jpg (76 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
1426797109720.jpg
76 KB, 1152x720
>>1167329

If you ask such a question, then go into trade school. Having a degree makes a difference only if you go all out. It then at some point becomes a mere status symbol. A necessary one that is. Let's put it that way: trade school is better if your goals are say a stable middle class life and the money to buy some goodies.
>>1168207
This guy here is a caricature of what I mean. You will gain superiority over milquetoast uni graduates and have a good chunk of cash. You will most likely make a good family, have a good wife and live your days peacefully while belonging to the important backbone of our society. But..

If you have higher ambitions - however ridiculous they might seem - a university degree is the bare minimum. Beware, though, as setting on this path will become a life long commitment. You must continously struggle or your efforts will become naught. You may end up in debt and in a checkmate if you lose your drive. Fail to live up to your potential and you will never win.
>>
>>1167329

As someone who spent a year constructing roofs in the minus temperature blistering winds, from oak, stone, and my bare hands, I'd say that the trades are not worth it. Unless you set up your own contractors firm early then you'll likely be working for some dick, taking home a medium-low salary for some pretty back breaking work. There's a reason people do liberal arts degrees, and a reason that more affluent families produce more university applicants. However the only true choice you have is to do something you love, because no amount of work or money doing some shit job (whether that be crunching numbers, building walls, or painting eggshells) is worth having to hate waking up in the morning.
>>
>>1167329
University is more useful in the long term, regardless of what these NEETs tell you.

Your trade could go into decline and you'll fucked out of future in your 40-50s.

Don't underestimate the power of technology.

If I were you, I would focus on going to University and working hard to get something out of it.

Whether you are willing to sacrifice your time money and concentration is up to you.

If you weren't in the top 10% of your high school class, go to community college and transfer to a good university if you get a 3.7+ doing your gen eds.

If you can't manage that much, go to trade school but don't complain if they cuck you and you get stuck in a $15/hr job for 5-10 years.
>>
>>1167351
Lineman
>>
>>1168207
Sounds cool. You should defs have kids.
>>
>>1167329
Go to UCF (CS, CpE, EE, Math) , save money live with parents. Go for masters at a good school. Get a good job.
>>
>>1169944
What if you're a poor 21 yr old wagecuck that lives alone?
>>
>>1168033
You'll be fine. If it is ABET Acredited, then you are golden. Get good grades, join design teams, and you'll be fine.

If it isnt, then run.
>>
>>1167329
Trade school don't teach you the trade- they give you an introduction so if you have no connections it'll still be hard to break in depending on economic conditions.
>>
>>1169944
>UCF
I heard that it's literally a gutter backwater school. Why not go for some of the better state unis?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.