[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else /precious metals/ here? I personally diversify and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 12
File: 72463_Obv.jpg (228 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
72463_Obv.jpg
228 KB, 900x900
Who else /precious metals/ here?

I personally diversify and invest in silver Maple Leaf 1oz coins.

holding: 950 silver coins + 3 gold coins

Neatly stored in a deposit box I pay 100 usd a year for.
>>
>>1167265
>Neatly stored in a deposit box I pay 100 usd a year for.
Haha, holy shit. I fucking love this board.
>>
>>1167275
> implying there is anything wrong having a deposit box at a very big metal holder

> literally order the coins online and they put them in the box themselves

box is probably empty and they only have accounts, but whatever m8
>>
>>1167265
you do realize that you're pretty much losing all the gains by cucking yourself with a deposit box
>>
Are precious metals even worth it or is it a meme?
>>
>>1167325
>>1167331
Diversify motherfuckers.
>>
>>1167332
thanks for answering my question dipshit
>>
>>1167331
this is a bit retarded question.
the right question is when worth buying them and when you need to sell them?

they don't hold that well against inflation as many people believe, but they have predictable cycles that you can profit off.

inflation adjusted they have a pretty stable price. the problem is inflation statistics are hacked to shits. real inflation is way worse than official.

so even if you buy gold it loses value over time especially that you have to pay premium when you buy it and when you sell it to the merchants.
>>
>>1167265
so you pay 6 silver coin per year to store 950 silver coins?

sounds like the best idea ever.
>>
>>1167265
why don't you get your own safe , cuck?
>>
It's a solid diversification outside of traditional financial markets. It's yields nothing and the appreciation is highly cyclical. I'm hoping to cash out during an equity downturn and avoid capital gains. On that subject PMs are a collectible taxed at 28%. So it's not necessarily a capital gain
>>
>>1167265
1. what do you do when shtf and you need to take it all out at once? can you even lift 1000 troy ounces?
2. this is risky
a. some banks and states confiscate the contents when they either think you're a terrorist, they have reason to suspect a crime, or when they just need money. they don't even need to tell you and it's extremely hard to get even a fraction back. see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdB2YiymmUc
b. some banks don't allow storing metals or cash anymore, stating a. as the pretext
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/banned-banks-say-you-can-no-longer-store-cash-or-precious-metals-in-your-safe-deposit-box_04222015

also, your silver/gold ratio's a tad high (hint: gold would have been lighter)
>>
>>1167265
wow if you're not bullshitting, then you must be stupid.
paying a hundred bucks for an institute to hold on to your money ?
ARE YOU CRAZY ? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MOIND ?
>>
12oz silver here. I know it's not that much but I sold off 37oz when it started to fall from peak to help pay for uni, trying to buy some back now but uni is espensive
>>
>>1167444
so precious metal in this case is an asset or a liability?
it takes money out of your pocket so it looks like the latter but it also holds value.
>>
>>1168965
You pay for the premium and in my case, for the storage.

However, if the dollar or whatever currency you have goes down. Something that simply does happens, look at Russia and Europe right now, you have gold.

Diversity.
>>
yeah that's an awful idea op
>>
>>1168968
so it's a coin toss which it turns out to be?
>>
>>1168981
No, it's investing in your financial stability.

I'm sorry, but I've explained this a couple of times already and this is really basic stuff.

This has nothing to do with making profit.
>>
>>1168991
it's alright i'm just trying to put some stuff to their place.
>>
>>1168968
it's not that btw that got me interested in silver, that the currency might crumple.
if it does you won't be able to sell it anyways.
but because silver is way more underappreciated than gold and in shorter supply and also supposedly reached a price where mining is not profitable.

i want to buy some silver (100-200 coins) but waiting for it to get below my intended margin.

there is also something else i can buy silver VAT free but in my country there is huge huge VAT on silver. so if i sell it to a private person i can cash in almost all the VAT even if silver does not increase in price.
>>
File: IMG_20160330_173731.jpg (1 MB, 4224x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160330_173731.jpg
1 MB, 4224x2368
Reporting in
>>
>>1169569
that's some sick wealth bruh
>>
File: Drop Bears.jpg (227 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Drop Bears.jpg
227 KB, 900x900
>>1167265
Get a safe. im waiting for some silver/gold/platinum from apmex. silver is a good one it likes to go up to 50 an oz sometimes but then it dips back down to around 15. My favorite is the 2 oz silver drop bear round.
>>
I live on a large farm, would it be a sound idea to store my money in a hidden area around the farm?
I've just got so much space but nothing to do.
>>
>>1169618
be sure to draw a treasure map and hide it in a hollow tree somewhere, and write "ye pirate's gold"
>>
>>1167265

>retards buying expensive as fuck silver coins from mints
>not buying junk silver for very close to spot price
>>
>>1169569
M A G A
A
G
A
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (59 KB, 714x572) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
59 KB, 714x572
>>1169660
ooh a whole dollar over spot for a nice ass coin.
junk silver is sterling and not worth as much as 9999 fine silver.
>>
>>1169618
I was just kidding about the treasure map

a. be sure to seal it in a moisture-proof and waterproof container, or you'll be digging up rust
b. remember where you bury it! make a note in case you die or get a head injury and can't remember. put the note in a safety deposit box.
c. make sure it's not in a spot where ppl can spot you digging or burying it
d. don't put anything you need to use regularly. frequent digs leave marks. if nosey neighbors aren't digging, the cops might look for a body, or the dog for a hidden bone!
e. this should be obvious, but can be overlooked over time. don't put it somewhere you plan to dig a well later, plant crops, or where the county wants to put up a road.
>>
>>1170008
Will do, thanks anon.
>>
>>1167265

> Neatly stored in a deposit box I pay 100 usd a year for.

Congrats, you kill your return every year.

I personally have 25 eagles, 25 leafs, 25 britannias, 2 silver 1 oz pieces in celebration of Britain royal birth, 1 10 oz silver bar, 1 1 pound copper bar, 50 copper Indian heads, and 3 copper 1 oz coins.
>>
>>1170413
lol there are no returns on silver long term.
inflation adjusted it has a pretty stable declining price.
>>
>>1170794
People who actually buy metals are fucking retarded
>>
>>1170795
i don't know about that.
the market is hysteria and speculation driven
you can cash in big time if you catch the wave.
or you can make profit on buying and reselling as i plan to do.

it's just expecting returns from holding silver is stupid.
>>
>>1170799
>Commodities instead of stocks.
Stop playing zero sum games.
>>
>>1170795
If you have a million dollars, I think it's okay to hold 10 grand in silver and gold coins.
This is for if zombies come and RIP society and the dollar fails, and then ALSO banking on society being NOT shit enough to still be able to trade metals. Prepare to get cucked by any establishment that has been actually storing metals seriously though.

So you're looking at a very small likelihood of a situation here, but, it can still happen, I guess. Post-ww1 Germany is an example of a time when it helped to have it.
It's really just a true diversification move, really ensuring stability in your financial life.

If you buy the physical stuff hoping to just trade it when it increases in value for gainz, you're fucking retarded, or 16 years old. It's not worth it. You can just invest in an ETF like GLD for that kind of stuff.
>>
>>1170809
it's training wheels if you must.
before i move on to stocks i want to have a feel for a much simpler market.
i also want to try something. i'm convinced i can sell the silver i buy for 10% or even 20% more the next day.
and if i play my cards right i might even make the demand.
>>
About 4 years ago I was earning a fortune due to being away from the office every day (per diems and mileage really add up) so I bought three gold ounces. Not as an investment, just a savings.

The reasoning being that if it's inaccessible, I can't spend it on a whim (or pour it down my throat)

It worked. I've also got a couple bank accounts in distant cities without an atm card, just to make the cash hard to get to
>>
>>1171087
lol
>>
File: 1.jpg (51 KB, 697x523) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
51 KB, 697x523
>>1167265
>>1171087
I spend money because i get nigger rich and poof there it goes. at least if i get a little bit of metal every time i get paid ill be good when its time to get some money later on in life. plus you can buy those copper bars for a dollar and sell them for 5. or 10 if you want to be maximum hebrew.

Pic related its the start of my collection. 6 ounces of copper, 3 oz of silver, and 1 gram of gold.
>>
How is sticking shit in a safety deposit box different from stuffing dollars under your mattress? dumbass
>>
File: 2013.png (4 MB, 1350x964) Image search: [Google]
2013.png
4 MB, 1350x964
>>1171293
Here is the obverse and reverse of a 2 oz silver round i have
>>
>>1167265
is difficult because who knows who controls the supply of metals.

like diamond mines.... a gold mine takes off and floods the market and the value of gold drops.. i dont think it ever has in the history of human civilization, but with technological advancement who knows.
>>
silver is dropping in price anyone else is excited?
>>
>>1171293
How do you sell copper at ten times markup?
>>
>>1171293
>collecting copper
>paying money for it
why? copper is literally everywhere and in everything.
>>
>>1171293
Nice $85 worth of coins kid.
>>
>>1167332
> motherfuckers
> that will teach them
>>
>>1167332
it's the cowards answer
>>
>>1171890
here i want silver to go under 15 euros

where do you guys think it will bottom?
>>
>>1171954
i mean 15 euros for a piece that's under 13 spot
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 434x434) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 434x434
Inherited 70oz of silver in 10oz bars and 2oz gold. Sell and be done or wait for a wave and try to catch the top? I dont really see the point in this no shop was going to give me more than $10 an oz of silver how do you ever get back what was paid for it?
>>
>>1171969
well shops are shitty to sell, and if you have older coins nobody will buy them because the chineese mastered the fakes.

newer coins are currently too complicated to fake.

i wouldn't for example buy a 2011 maple leaf from anyone. i would buy a 2014 or up tho if the price is right. like $15 i would consider a bargain.

bars are highly subject to manipulation i wouldn't touch them unless i get it form somewhere safe. you have to melt them down to be absolutely sure they are really all silver.
>>
>>1171969
btw if you didn't pay money for them then it's irrelevant how much you sell them for you make profit.
>>
>>1171997
>irrelevant

But anon I must maximize profits.

Isn't it possible to determine the content of the bar by measuring how much water is displaced in a beaker taking into consideration the weight of silver? Do they really melt bars just to be sure?
>>
>>1172137
density is only good indicator if they don't mix metals some lighter mixed with heavier like lead will yield the same displacement as silver.
silver plating will fool matid and acid test and resistance.
if it's homogeneous enough ultrasound is also useless.
and you can't really pingtest a bar well.
>>
>>1172137
>But anon I must maximize profits.
then don't sell under $24!
it will short term go down i'm 80% sure.
long term it will go above $24 it has to.
>>
>>1171896
sell it as a novelty because it is.
they're small copper 1000 dollar bills and other shit like walking liberties, 500 bills, buffalo bills, and other shit like that. also copper isnt by the troy oz.
>>
>>1171898
i dont collect it i know people what buy shit like this because its cool. i have 50 lbs of number 1 copper in my basement because im a plumber i dont need to collect it by the oz
>>
anyone hold lead bullions?
they are still cheap now but can go much higher in the next decade.
>>
They don't produce anything, so are useless. WB himself said investing in precious metals is dumb.
>>
>>1173251
they don't produce anything?
dude try having a smartphone or a tv without them or just about anything...
they are the basis of our entire technology. and seem to be in short supply.
>>
File: DSCN0028.jpg (543 KB, 1728x1296) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0028.jpg
543 KB, 1728x1296
To those labelling me as a cuck for renting a storage box for a couple hundred per year, it's worth it for the piece of mind. No way am I keeping $250k under the mattress with an easy mind.
>>
>>1173307
except if shtf you won't have access to it.
if you invest into a safe and hide it well you can spare a lot of expense on the long run.
and these stuff should not be more than 30% of your wealth anyways so if they steal by some miracle it your life is not ruined.
i have a safe bought by cash (no cards, no trace) i built it in the main wall with my father (again no outsiders know it's there) the key to open the safe are never left in the building. if you find it it's messy work to open it lot's of noise and time if not an expert. that's all the safety i need. it was about a $100 and it's been doing it's job for 5 years now.
>>
>>1173316
So, I was planning to read that. I couldn't. Please get some grammar going, bud.

>>1173307
Nice man. Same here, the storage box is only for my own peace of mind.

>>1173251
It's a nice physical way of saving money and if your local currency crashes, you still have something to trade for other currencies.
>>
>>1173334
wtf are you talking about?
>>
>>1173316
>>1173340
You know, punctuation and all that crap.

Also, spelling and general communication skills:
> on the long run
> these stuff
> bought by cash (maybe you have a friend named Cash?)
> key to open the safe are
> it lot's of noise
> time if not an expert
>>
>>1173349
oh well...
when i read it it makes perfect sense.
>>
>>1173351
I bet it fucking does, Achmed.
>>
>>1173354
i'm gonna dumb it down for you
>get a safe and save money!
>make sure nobody knows about it!
>don't keep more than 30% of your wealth in metals and bank notes!
>>
>>1173365
Yes Achmed, oogba booga.
>>
>>1173366
get a load of this fucking retard guys
>>
>>1173316
I understand you and wont berate your post because of punctuation.

Safe is the best way to go.
However i keep mine right here where i can see it. lets just say...
If you can get to the safe you can have it cus ill be dead.
>>
But thats terrible, they lose value the moment you buy them and a fucking deposit box?
>>
>>1167265
Right now your collection is worth around 18k
>>
>>1173307
>>1173334
>decide to buy physical
>not actually hold physical
>what is home/renters insurance

How about storing a folder of your insurance policy and pictures in a smaller, cheaper safe deposit box instead?

>shit hits the fan
>currency crash
>muh peace of mind

And you expect the bank with their stellar history of limiting and outright confiscation of deposits to be there waiting for your call in shit hits the fan or currency crash scenario? Ask people in Greece how much they were able to take out of the bank. That's modern times not some ancient history/could never happen here. It can and would if it came to that. Preventing that from happening to you personally is the whole point of buying and holding physical to begin with.

It never ceases to amaze me how people actually go out of their way to be retarded. Seriously. Think.
>>
>>1173874
Oh you poor, poor soul.

Believe it or not, but you are not Einstein. The stuff you brought up, I already considered a LONG time ago.

You see, the deposit box is located at an actual company specialized in deposit boxes. They own the space and all that stuff, but the items in the boxes is still mine.

Wow! Much amazing!

Yes, I did research before giving 18K to a company.
>>
>>1173641
well if you are always home sure no need to hide it.
hiding the safe is to buy time while they look for it.
insurance is good but i found that it is greatly limited in amount based on the classification (and price) of the box. so i bought a cheap safe and hid it.
>>
>>1173874
My safety box is rented from a company that specifically keeps the items within it's safety boxes from outside the banking system. If the company were to go bankrupt I'd just go and pick my items up, no hassle.

>How about storing a folder of your insurance policy and pictures in a smaller, cheaper safe deposit box instead?

Can I rely on an insurance company staying solvent during a shtf event? If they give me cash as payout will it be worth anything in an hyperinflationary scenario? Will silver and gold be available even if the insurance company paid me or will I be stuck holding worthless fiat?

>Ask people in Greece how much they were able to take out of the bank

That's why I've got roughly $100k in my safety box.
>>
>>1174048
nothing wrong with hiding it. once i get a decent amount my safe is moving into the basement and ill sink it in with some 13 inch lag bolts.
>>
>>1174048
I like you, you seem like a pretty cool guy. you do any construction?
>>
>>1170413
>1 pound copper bar
anyone else here holding on to pre-1982 pennies? i feel like it's a tad ridiculous since copper is shit and i have limited space.
>>
>>1172168
>it has to

solid indicators there
>>
>>1169585
>50 an oz sometimes
it did that once. it will take 20 years for that to happen again.
>>
>>1174040
Dude you have no fucking clue. I keep my PMs at home and I have an insurance policy taken out on them for less than you're paying for a deposit box.
>>
>>1174040
>items in the boxes are still mine

Right.. until they're not. I'm going to assume you understand the whole point of holding physical is to counter third party risk. That said, you decided to hold physical only to introduce a third party again on your own?

>b-but i did research!

I'm sure they'll be waiting patiently for you to come and pick up your bars of gold during a currency crisis.. lmao. The only poor soul is going to be you standing there looking like a rube at your empty/seized/looted/bankrupt companies deposit box if that day ever comes.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

>>1174086
>Can I rely on an insurance company staying solvent during a shtf event?

Most likely not and that's the point. You won't need to. Go to your home safe and you're covered.

>Will silver and gold be available even if the insurance company paid me or will I be stuck holding worthless fiat?

To hedge against that risk you decided to hand it over and store it with a third party? That makes no sense whatsoever. If you want to hold physical metals, hold physical metals. Doing anything else and you might as well just buy ETFs or some other paper gold/silver.

It's your money do what you want just understand the distinction between the two.

>That's why I've got roughly $100k in my safety box.

No, you have a key. Someone else 100k has it until you withdrawal it; if you can.

>>1174447
This guy gets it.
>>
I found a deal on 2kg of junk silver (.400 swedish) at spot price, so I guess I'm an Alex Jones as well now.
>>
>>1175292
*coins that is

I'm actually a little bit into coin collection so I'll card the nicest ones and the rest I'll keep in a box next to my bed so I can jingle it before I go to sleep (I'm half jewish).
>>
File: oh-yes.jpg (72 KB, 476x313) Image search: [Google]
oh-yes.jpg
72 KB, 476x313
yess!
>silver keeps falling
>eur gets cheaper
soon...
my body is ready
>>
>>1170794
>>1170795
>>1170809

Not necessarily, as silver has hit $40 an oz before and I'm sure it will do it again. May it take 10 years? I'm sure, but I'll still have it by that time.

It's not as if I'm not involved in stocks, as I have 10k diversified. Reason I personally invest in precious metals is due to it being hard to liquidate and make a profit. It keeps me having a "savings account" that I don't have actual access to.

As I find that if I have a large amount of money in my savings account, I catch myself covering myself instead of finding ways to recoup.

Say what you want m9, but I'm still saving money either way.
>>
>>1175885
>Not necessarily, as silver has hit $40 an oz before
there are always lemmings that will jack up the price if conditions are right, but these bubbles are artificially generated by manipulation of markets and the vast majority of people don't profit nearly as much as those that do the scam.

right now silver is pushed down and pushed down the goal is $12 or lower they are making money on paper silver they sell it high buy back low, i'm pretty sure. then they will buy physical silver or at least try to buy it all and it will skyrocket when the shortage hits mainstream media and there is some trouble in the financial world... they will then sell to the bulls and make the other half of profit. you can easily miss this ride as it happens very fast and you don't know where the bottom or the top is. but even if you make profit as a private person you will be hard put to sell your silver at a fair price because it's costly. you will sell your physical silver which you bought with premium on spot price or under.
then maybe you get taxed on the way in and out.
with a bit of luck in a 10 year period you can double your investment but there is an alternative cost.
>>
File: IMG_0423.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0423.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Here's mine, I wouldn't call it an investment, more of a hobby I guess.
>>
>>1175938
I think it's just me, but I really don't like the modern silver oz coins. They look exactly like cheap Chinese generic steel/nickel/whatever medallions you give to the loser kids after a soccer tournament.

With old, slightly worn silver coins you can definitely see and feel that it's silver.
>>
>>1175946
jesus fuck. there is so much wrong with your post you slant eye motherfucker scam artist!

the chinese make all the fakes of older coins with less security features and purposefully worn looking to make it harder to tell it's a forgery.
i would never in a hundred years touch an old looking coin.

the chinese counterfeits now pass the magnet test the acid test the resistance test and most even correct dimensions and size. you can try to ping test it if you have an ear for it but with older coins there is no sure telling if fake unless you cut it in half.

newer micro etched coins are not yet faked because it's expensive and the "new" coins would not be worth more than the "old" ones.
>>
>>1175953
Nobody's bothering to counterfeit random junk silver. I'm not talking about ancient coins, which by the way I would never touch either because there's so much fake shit, even though I'd love to own a piece of history like that.

Modern oz rounds look like crap and buy some from private people and it's a complete gamble.
>>
>>1175962
trust me the chinese mostly forge older bullion coins.
these have the best investment value i don't care for numismatic value.
by older i mean 2011 maple leaf and us silver eagle.
the more detail a coin has the less worn it is the easier to identify the real ones and the more they are worth anyhow.
>>
>>1175969
>these have the best investment value i don't care for numismatic value.
You paid a premium for them plus the plastic fanboy wrapping.

I bet when the zombies come you'd have a minor breakdown over whether to cut them up for effective trade.

*zombies is a codeword for inevitable niggerpocalypse and end of civilization if the EBT system is ever disturbed
This WILL happen and everyone will die unless you have silver and ammo.
>>
>>1175984
i gave this a lot of though, but probably silver pieces will be the right size for using as payment.
like 20 of them for a monthly wage or so.
sure you need something for change, i think it will be cartridges and even spent brass for small change.
>>
>>1171293
this is sad
>>
File: soon.jpg (38 KB, 599x402) Image search: [Google]
soon.jpg
38 KB, 599x402
>>1167265
>>1176172
are you the same faggot?
>>
File: 1457398228432.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
1457398228432.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>1171307
>chinese coin
tin coated brass

>>1171890
no screw you, i just bought 5kg.. it looked like it had already bottomed and was on the way up again fuck
>>
>>1176256
$12 for silver is my prayer
every morning when i get up i check the prices
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.