[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good is a good statistics honors undergrad degree with a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1459149558624.jpg (81 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1459149558624.jpg
81 KB, 1080x1080
How good is a good statistics honors undergrad degree with a minor in econometrics?

In terms of usefulness and job prospects and starting pay, GPA is 3.3
>>
>>1168174
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>1168189
Lolllllllll gay
>>
>>1166497
how good are your social skills? basically you're fucked if you didnt spend that time networking with people in the industry and if your professors havnt already refered you for jobs. seeing as how you're asking this question you misunderstood what university was about. it's about networking. if you dont graduate with a job offer or an internship you have no prospects.
>>
>>1168345
But programming and using statistics seems to be an actual skill and not like some random Marxist bullshit lol like this seems all applicable to real life which you can't say for the other sciences

My social skills are decent, I have a gf, don't get nervous speaking, no retarded accent (lol low key racist but matters for some jobs)

As far as profs go, I do have 16 months of internships still left to do before I graduate and I'm working on modelling stock prices with one of my profs using stochastic calculus etc in a few months (not guaranteed but he talked to me about it and told me I'm on his shortlist, whatever that means)

So yeah, I just haven't had any of my internships yet or anything so I guess I'm worried but I feel like I'm learning a lot of shit that would used in a real job
>>
>>1166497
>honors
No one gives a fuck.

I did got a 3.9 and a BA in economics and took one class in econometrics. That is literally enough to get you a data analyst position.
>>
>>1168377
Yeah but BA economics <<<<<< BSc honors statistics

Like just talking in terms of rigor and mental capacity required to complete the degree, maybe people don't give a shit but it's obvious that there is a difference in the level of effort and time and intelligence required for each degree
>>
>>1168385
In my university, there were close to 300 ba econ grads last year, there were 26 stat grads

So, supply and demand..... I assume u know about that lol would tell u something about that, not to mention any statistician could do a job meant for economists when the econ people applying are BA meme major economics

I'm from Canada btw
>>
>>1168375
>I have an internship lined up
>my professor is considering me for post grad work
focus on the post grad stuff. in maths, a post grade proves you can do work, not just repeat shit. it will also open up avenues for you as your name will appear in google as having worked on something important if you get your name attached to a paper. you will also meet people. they scout universities for the honor students at graduation ceremonies and stuff. they keep an eye on people who are looking at entering an academic pathway although a masters is really all you need unless you want to go full track.
>>
>>1168385
Kid, trust me. No one gives about how hard your degree was or how rigorous it was or how you can recite the formula to do an Ftest or something. There are two programs, Excel and Stata, that pretty much make really having a super strong grasp on statistics meaningless.

At the end of the day too that "easy" 3.9 got me a full ride for a masters degree. So, think what you want I'm just telling you what it's like out here post-university and in the job market.
>>
>>1168396
Right, I get that but I mean you missed over what I said which is that I wasn't talking in terms of who gives a shit but on the rigor

Also, stata and excel? That's weak and shit for trained monkeys, R and SAS are much better programs for statistical work and mcuh more powerful and efficient

Also, the opportunities open to you as an economics major is not the same as a statistics major especially here in Canada, idk what youre trying to tell me, I shouldn't give a shit about school and not learn shit that's useful and just do something easy? So I can do what? A free ride for a master's in something worthless cause I don't have the background to do something useful?

I really don't know what your advice is lol
>>
>>1166497
perhaps your best bet is to try getting into big data analysis (if you took relevant courses) or especially finance / financial econometrics (if you took the courses). Your prospects also depend on how good your coding skills are, not only in Stata / EViews but especially R and Python/C++

finishing MSc Economics here with focus on time series / financial econometrics / macro
>>
>>1170110
Yeah, my R skills are super good and I am writing the SAS base certification in the summer

Also, I know python and I'm taking a C++ class in the summer too and I'm taking econometrics classes in summer and fall too so yeah

I have the programming down to some degree...

I don't know stata though, is that important if I know R?
>>
>he thinks sas and R aren't also monkey work

Wew lad
>>
>>1170134
They are, but R requires you to actually know what the fuck you're doing lol trained monkey work as in "oh look at me I'm a dumbass ahhh here's the ANOVA test makes sense EVERYTHING IS A SIMPLE RANDOM SAMPLE" not as in some mind numbing code monkey which I know I'll be but whatever
>>
>>1170131
I personally hate Stata and I believe knowing Matlab serves you better. In Frankfurt the European Central Bank and the German Central Bank (Bundesbank) both work primarily with Matlab
>>
>>1170160

Oh okay, so in the summer I can either take stat 485 (statistics in sport - special topics class) or a numerical analysis class in which u learn MATLAB, so I love sports and wanna take the sports statistics class but do u think I should do the MATLAB class instead? Or u think I can just learn it on my own
>>
>>1170163
pros and cons: I would take Matlab except if you want to go into a sports related field of work or somewhere where that class will be positively recognized or will help you. On the other hand, if you have so many languages on your resume already, then perhaps knowing Matlab additionally to all the others only gives a slight improvement in the eyes of an employer, and since you seem to be quite well informed in statistics software you could lean it yourself pretty easily. I still believe though that the job market would value Matlab knowledge higher. Personally, to keep my options open for above mentioned institutions, I took an empirical macroeconometrics course where we worked with Matlab extensively, its mostly used for RBC-models /DSGE-models and for bootstrapping, Monte-Carlo, and principal component analysis / Cholesky-factorization.
>>
>>1170174
Okay, that makes sense, thank you, for my economics minor, I might be able to find a class that does stuff like that and could take that instead, to take up my credits for that part of my degree

I am very very interested in sports statistics however and my dream (lol) is to work for a sports team doing statistics for them (I know pipe dream) but yeah, I guess it might be more useful to write papers and stuff regarding that stuff than having a class on my resume, it's tough to decide sigh
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.