[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of selling scrap metal? specifically copper?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: download (1).jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10 KB, 259x194
What do you guys think of selling scrap metal? specifically copper?

A friend of mine told me that he'd rake in 150-700 a night sneaking into demo sites to steal copper pipes and brass.

I have a truck, a sledge hammer, and a sawzal, this would be a good way to supplement my income.
>>
He's a liar. Scrap yards aren't going to take that because it's most likely stolen. I couldn't even scrap the copper from my old AC unit because copper is a theft problem, and I had to bring the entire AC unit there, which I already took to the dump. I bet your friend says he sells stolen guns to pawn shops without any registration or scraped off serial numbers too.
>>
>>1166378
wut? scrap yards around here dont even give a fuck. you must be from canada
>>
>>1166383
you have to put ID on file along with jumping through a bunch of hoops in my state
>>
>>1166364
If you're going to break the law then pick something better than fucking scrap metal. Stealing from construction sites is retarded.

Grow weed instead and sell it to your friends.
>>
Stupid thread, would sage.

Sites employ security.
There is not an infinite amount of sites in any one region at any time.
Construction sites are very dangerous.

Even if the above was not applicable it would be a lot of graft for little return.
>>
>>1166364
A few years ago, this was a *great* idea, but metal prices are volatile, and we're currently in the doldrums of near-record-low prices on scrap, so you're looking at only getting about twenty bucks for a literal ton of salvage.
>>
>>1166364
have fun getting electrocuted

also idcheif for the fake id youll need to sell
>>
>>1166364
Copper is dirt cheap right now
T.plumber
>>
>>1166648

OP here, I'm a 1st year plumber and the amount of old copper pipes we have to rip out and cut up is utterly astounding.
>>
File: 1443568716197.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1443568716197.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>1166567

Is Idchief legit? I know there are tons of scammers out there.
>>
Literally went to the scrapyard today and got ~$550 for a heap in a trailer of about 90% insulated copper wiring. Its dumb to go and steal it, they'll suspect you bringing them whole spools of wire or perfect pipes. Elecritians, plumbers, etc. bring in their scraps to make good $$. The scrap metal is usually already paid by a customer and they just sell what is left over.
>>
>>1166364

I would only do it if there were a low risk situation to get the copper.

Not worth going to jail.
>>
>>1168023
a friend and i used to steal 0 gauge coils from an electric supply warehouse.
it's a bit of work but you just have to strip them, cut them up into 6-12 inch sections, throw some motor oil and sawdust in a trash bag and mix it all up. makes them look like worn scraps and nobody thinks twice about it.
>>
>>1168111

That's still a criminal act and you're only getting ahead due to the risk of a criminal advantage.

If you can risk your legal status for $500, that's up to you.
>>
this is was heroine addicts do in my home town

0/10 would never do this
>>
File: time-after-time-1024.jpg (213 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
time-after-time-1024.jpg
213 KB, 1024x576
pic related: is OP with his friend
>>
>>1166364
I think its a good hobby
Make sure no one can see your copper is actually from an AC unit if it is, otherwise you need an HVAC license or something along those lines
Stealing pipes is a big no-no, too much risk of getting caught, especially with the growing number of construction sites putting in cameras and shit. Plus you make it hard on legit scrappers.
Plus stealing scrap is no better than stealing from a cash register so fuck you.
What some scrappers I know are currently doing: Spend their weekends patrolling for box springs, tvs, anything they can take metal out of. Remove metal, sort and place in trash bins, put in shed, wait till shed is full, sell.
Again, if you get an AC unit, cut it up so that they can't tell if its an AC unity. My dad worked in HVAC but didn't have any kind of certifications so he was forced to give old AC units to either the dump or his boss who did have the proper paperwork. Something like 1000 a month or so in scrap he was loosing because of this.
>>
File: 1454326010682.png (64 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1454326010682.png
64 KB, 557x605
>>1166364
>a decade in prison
>vs 600 bucks
>a decade in prison
>vs 600 bucks
>HMMM
How are you even considering this?
Do it OP! You clearly have more lose than to win, go, get your truck, go steal some scrap metal and risk going to jail for a decade! FUCK RISK MARGINS ON A BUSINESS BOARD, TIME TO MAKE SOME REAL MONEY STEALING SCRAP METAL!

You should now go to the epic board qnd recruit yourself a crew! You can call yourselves LE ANYNOMOOSY GANG
>>>/b/
>>
>>1166364

Gypsy scum.
>>
>>1167814
Save it- it'll go up eventually
>>
STEALING SCRAP METAL
>illegal
>not lucrative
>very risky
>physically demanding
>requires thousands of dollars in start up costs

DRUG DEALING
>illegal
>lucrative
>risky
>physically easy
>require hundreds of dollars in start up costs
>>
>>1168111
>steal roll of wire
>sell it for scrap value
>lose huge amount of money for just selling it as is for less work to a construction outfit.

Protip: Go find a small electrical outfit and offer to sell them it at 80% cost. A lot of them will say yes because it means they can pocket that 20% and still bill the customer for it.
>>
>>1168512
You need certification to show that the refrigerant was reclaimed and not released into the atmosphere.
>>
>>1166414
>Stealing from construction sites is retarded.
this
stealing from construction sites is mob business
your friend gonna end up stiff in a concrete foundation
>>
>>1166364

Theft isn't a good business model.
>>
FUCK YOU OP

id shoot you if I saw you on my jobsite

piece of shit
>>
>>1168503

Op here, this is funny because the guy is actually black.

But his worth ethic is second to none, guy works hard in the day and at night, he does this.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.