[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resume critique thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9
File: Anon Resume.jpg (244 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
Anon Resume.jpg
244 KB, 850x1100
Critique my resume, please, /biz/.

Context. I'm applying for entry-level, and early-career-level mechanical engineering positions in California. I'm not hearing much of anything back so I'm wondering if I could do something to my resume, or if it might be holding me back. Pls no dox. Thanks again.
>>
File: 1457263470952.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457263470952.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Its shit
>that green blue color disgusting
>too much space and not enough content.
>too many long sentences.
>>
>>1165970

do you have other work experience? <1 year total work experience looks like a weak point on your resume.
>>
>>1165977
Only a school job as a machine shop assistant where I cleaned and organized the shop. I didn't do any machining for pay. Should I list it?
>>
>>1165981

yeah I would still list it because, like I said, you only have one other thing that is for <1 year.

also cut down on some paragraphs sentences. turn those big chunks of text into buzzword bullet points.
>>
>>1165981
List that and put the date range for your schooling.

You want to give employers as long of a history as possible.
>>
>>1165986
does that apply if I took 6 years to graduate though? :/
>>
>>1165970
Put your accomplishments and education first since you lack long-term employment.
>>
Put education before work experience. Split work section into bullets it's a paragraph in one bullet
>>
File: 1397530157419.jpg (30 KB, 634x397) Image search: [Google]
1397530157419.jpg
30 KB, 634x397
>>1165970

>first word of paragraph is "Served"

I'll just assume you were a waiter and pic related faggot
>>
>>1166000
>>1165997
hmmm never occurred to me. I was under the impression that employment experience was more relevant than your education.
>>
put GPA (if above 3.2), any awards, any projects or start ups
>>
File: myshittyresume.png (279 KB, 850x1007) Image search: [Google]
myshittyresume.png
279 KB, 850x1007
There shouldn't be any paragraphs or colors in your resume. It's suppose to be just industry buzzwords, short summaries ,quantifiable accomplishments, and one sentence per line.

>>1166011
When you are a new graduate or lack of experience you have to sell your other skills. Only until you have a strong work history is when you put your employment above your education/volunteer work/project/etc.

listen to
>>1165976
>>1166000
>>1166022
>>
>>1166072
"Window PCs"
>>
>>1166072
I dont think this guy knows what he is talking about. One liners wont get you hired. You need 2-3 lines per bullet min and each bullet should detail either a specific duty which correlates to the job you are applying to or a measurable result. by measurable resilt I mean... "I negotiated a $$$ sole source contract for xyz which yielded a net savings of $$$.
>>
File: r8 biz.png (100 KB, 619x648) Image search: [Google]
r8 biz.png
100 KB, 619x648
>>1165970
Is colour a good idea?
Seems unprofessional to me

I know my resume is shit but its hard to make it look nice when its filled with Garbage.
>>
File: biz plz.png (29 KB, 488x547) Image search: [Google]
biz plz.png
29 KB, 488x547
>>1166138
Edited it to reflect more what>>1166072 was saying.
Idk if its an improvement but theres certainly more buzzwords
>>
>>1166127
You don't have to do one liners, but my main point is there shouldn't be enormous walls of text in your resume.

If OP and >>1166176 were to create a clean format, and have descriptive marketable content helps getting employers to read your resume.
>>
Resumes should never be more than a page long.
Fit everything into a single page.
Also, highlight important details that would be
beneficial to the job you are applying for.
Hope this helps a little.
Good luck with everything Op
>>
>>1166276
>Resumes should never be more than a page long.
Bullshit.
>>
Recruiter here working for manufacturing and automotive supplier companies in the Midwest. I handle hundreds of resumes each day, so I'm critiquing all.

>>1165970
I wouldn't hire you, but an American company would. Minimize your award bullshit and change the ink back to black. Also, I wouldnt ever click on your link. I don't have time. You also are a hopper as your only employment history was extremely short.

>>1166072
You're fairly new grad, so I have no complaints. You'll need to find a big boy job, but don't be surprise if you keep landing IT contracts.

>>1166138
>>1166176
Just say your college + graduation year and month. You dont need more than that. You're also a student still, so there isn't much you have to offer. You're fine for now. Change this when you graduate.

>>1166276
This is only true for recent students/new grads.

Posting my own advice in a second.
>>
>>1166317
>I wouldn't hire you, but an American company would. Minimize your award bullshit and change the ink back to black. Also, I wouldnt ever click on your link. I don't have time.
Fair enough
>You also are a hopper as your only employment history was extremely short.
Nope. I was working at a startup that uses new grads for cheap labor and fires established engineers if they don't fit the role they're looking for within the company.
>>
>How long should my resume be?
Students/New grads don't have enough content to surpass a page. Tbh I read what your degree is, your graduation date, fulltime jobs if any, and any key words that might help me such as software, designing programs, etc.

If you're junior/senior level, 2-3 pages should do unless you've only had one job since college.

Senior/manager level should have 3 I'd say. 4 at the most.

>I've been working full-time for a few years now, what should my resume look like?
Once you've been working more than three years since graduation, cut out all your part-time jobs unless they offer good keywords like bilingual experience or some sort of relevant experience. Internships should always be kept because they're cute.

>What should every resume have?
Contact info, at least your city and state, your major and graduation date as well as name of university. Everything else is obvious and can be changed around, but you don't want to send in a resume and have the hiring person throw it away because he cannot contact you or discern your amount of experience, etc. Also, always have a phone number. So many fucks don't give it out and thats a straight ticket to the trash.

>Does my university name matter?
This is definitely dependent on the hiring professional. Personally I'm happy to find someone who is friendly and has at least a bachelor's as well as experience in what I need. Community college is acceptable. If your college has university in its title and isn't an online college, don't worry. No one will look into the size or whatever. Some people might care about reputation of schools but that's quite rare.

>Does military service hurt or help me?
Again, depends. Personally, military service is usually a blank space for most hiring professionals. We can't really verify that experience. Logistics in the army might not really qualify you for a high paying logistics job in a business in honesty. This is rough on engineers the most in my opinion.
>>
>>1166321
I believe you, but what I'm saying is you look like one on paper. But like I said, American companies would hire you because they don't necessarily care about the duration of employment as much. Even if I liked you, thought you were qualified, etc... my clients would say "Yikes, no". It's unfortunate because jobs do end early and it shouldnt be an indicator of your work ethic, but my clients are Japanese and don't like it. But I'd hire you if I had my own business!
>>
This is more software/web dev related, but how can I really sell my skills on a resume? I know I have the knowledge for a Junior, maybe even Intermediate level job, but my resume is really weak. I worked for 6 months from home on a Ruby On Rails application, finished a Java certification where I learned a bunch of shit, and worked as a freelance dev for a few months.

I literally have no idea how to exaggerate my skills and experience to make it more appealing to a potential employer
>>
>>1166330
Just go in and ask for a job, sport!
>>
>>1166330
You have to take a lower position man. Whatever you want, take that down one notch. Consider entry level. However, how long have you been out of school?
>>
>>1166332
What's the best way to do this? I'm considering stopping by a Northrup Grumman branch that posted a few jobs and hasn't gotten back to me. I feel like I'm qualified too.
>>
>>1166333
I finish my certification in 2 weeks, so technically I'm still in school. But I've been writing that I'm already done the program, since all the classes are in the evening and wouldn't affect me even if I got hired. I don't have a degree, which is probably hindering me, but I can't really do much about that atm
>>
>>1166335
Seriously take an entry level job. I know it sucks, but if you're as skilled as you are, you'll find yourself advancing quite quickly. And if three or so years pass without the advancement you feel you deserve, you'll have a much more convincing employment history to move to the next job with. You'll have much more keywords and background to work with. Certificates don't really get you into intermediate positions unfortunately, experience does.
>>
>>1166338
I would take any kind of dev job right now, but unfortunately there aren't too many Java positions in my area. I'm literally applying to every position that even resembles my skill set with hopes that I get called for an interview. The only problem is that there are so few of them. I'm sure something will pop up eventually but it's pretty frustrating. Hopefully some companies will start hiring for summer, then maybe I can at least see what the market is like.
>>
>>1166317
Can you explain this trend of recruiters saying they will call/email you back but never do? It's very annoying.
>>
>>1166072
I like how readable your resume is. What font did you use for it?
>>
File: all three pages.png (996 KB, 5336x904) Image search: [Google]
all three pages.png
996 KB, 5336x904
is it bad its three pages?
>>
File: Dante Dorantes Resume edit 2.jpg (263 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
Dante Dorantes Resume edit 2.jpg
263 KB, 850x1100
OP here, how does this edited resume look? Still too bulky in the bullet points, or good?

I don't think I'll be able to fit my machine shop assistant position without either getting rid of another bullet point or going over one page. Thoughts?
>>
>>1166436
In my experience, I need to consult another person before doing anything with your resume. If after the phone call another recruiter or I change our minds, we typically won't call you to say we changed our minds. When we have, we usually get emails with pleas to change our minds.

For example, some guys will say they aren't okay with 75% travel. I say ah okay well let me get back to you. I talk to my coworker, he says nah he needs to travel. If I tell the candidate that I have to reject his resume because he cannot travel, mysteriously he will say "oh but I can travel 75%! I thought about it and it's fine." And these are the very same people that will back out of interviews because they will not travel that much, or they'll quit the job after a few weeks.

Or your personality wasn't good and we couldn't wait to get off the phone. Or there's just too much volume of candidates to go through. I usually write an email to candidates I know will be good for the future though.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.