[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
coding?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: mathphd.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
Which programming language should I learn if I intend to code stuff for finance?
>>
C++, Python
>>
>>1165872
depends what sort of finance

general dev work in a bank, C#, Java

for quant dev work on the sell side C++

on the buy side R, Matlab, Python... Q/KDB... and C++
>>
>>1165876
>>1165877

God, thank you guys so much. My gut was C++. I asked this on /g/ and got no responses.
>>
>>1165890
make sure to get a phD in mathematics if you actually think you're going to use c++ in a finance setting
>>
>>1165872
Not Java
>>
>>1165877
>>1165890
KEK NO.

Use F#. It's widely used in Finance and it is far superior to C# in many ways and is getting more and more usage despite being somewhat newer.

It's literally C# but with numerous improvements.
>>
COBAL
>>
>>1165905
kek no?

F# might be used just as OCaml is also used and Scala is used too... but you're a fucking retard to try and correct what has already been posted.. F# is not as widely used as the languages already listed
>>
>>1165896
not true, plenty of quant devs out there with masters degrees, plenty of regular devs out there too. Maths and Physics PhDs are useful for sell side quant work/derivatives pricing but not everyone doing the coding requires one and there are other uses of C++ too... execution algos for a start and they don't require PhDs all
>>
>>1165919
F# widely improves on C#, people are switching over to it more and more.

It can basically do everything C# can, but more and more efficiently.

Also what's important to note is the future of the field. This would be like saying Python2.7 is the "thing to learn and love" because most software is written/depends on it despite Python3.* being newer, with an ever-increasing marketshare not to mention Python2 being unsupported by 2020...
>>
>>1165922
Good luck.
>>
>>1165925
>F# widely improves on C#,
so fucking what

the question wasn't what is your favorite language...

Scala improves on Java too

the correct answer depends on the type of dev work you're going to be doing as I've already pointed out. Will you use F# for dealing with ticker plants... you're probably going to use Q in that instance. What about enterprise software deployed on linux... nope you're not going to piss about with mono

yes obviously you like F# however F# isn't the sole answer to the OP's question
>>
>>1165939
>https://quant.stackexchange.com/questions/303/is-f-used-in-trading-systems

It is widely used and is continuing to get more and more accepted, is my point.

OP is likely in college, probably in 1st/2nd year of Undergrad. By the time he learns, and gets around to being proficient enough to actually working on this stuff, what is commonly used will have changed. So it's smart to look into the future and what will be used.

F# and .net is looking VERY promising, is rapidly improving and is rapidly gaining more acceptance. For those reasons it would be a smart idea to learn and get proficient with them.
>>
>>1165943
so what... Scala is used too

the question wasn't what is your favorite language... there are lots of languages used for different reasons - answering with a single language is just dumb
>>
File: NbygN.jpg (25 KB, 484x162) Image search: [Google]
NbygN.jpg
25 KB, 484x162
>>1165872
C/C++ and assembly. Don't fall for useless meme languages, go hard or go home!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.