[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on buying MTG (Magic The Gathering) cards as an investment?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Thoughts on buying MTG (Magic The Gathering) cards as an investment?

Particularly interested in vintage cards that will not be reprinted for long term holding.

Anyone has any experience with this?
>>
>>1165571
liquidity will be your biggest risk factor
then price volatility
then market intervention (new sets being released, rules being changed)

wouldn't fuck around with it unless you're active in the pro community and are known, but then, at that point, you wouldn't be making this thread
>>
>>1165571
youre at the mercy of a market controlled by greasy nerds, dont do it
Im a greasy nerd who is addicted to this shit, dont do it
>>
>>1165571
Don't kid yourself into thinking it's an investment. You missed the bubble, and you should treat it as the hobby it is.
>>
>>1165641
This desu sempai, reminds me of when Yu Gi Oh first came out everyone was clamoring for the God cards and now today they are worth about a nickel a piece and only a few dollars if in mint condition. Children's card games like MtG, pakeman and YGO are bad investments and you will always buy more than they are worth and should only be treated as a fun hobby.
>>
>>1165571
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
File: collectivecompany.png (142 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
collectivecompany.png
142 KB, 223x311
If you know how to pay magic you can make a lot of money off of speculating on mtg cards like pic related was 4 bucks now its closer to 20 a perrson that understands mtg can plainly see that this card gives you considerable value understand value in game get value on cards thats the game
>>
>>1165666

if you picked up tarmogoyfs when they were junk rares priced at 50 cents you could make a hundred and fifty dollars a pop now
>>
>>1165681
But the amount of time needed for the prices to change and the amount of busts you would have plus how little control you will have over prices or being able to estimate when they go up just leaves you with less money than you started out with. There are better ways out there to make money with buying low and selling high.
>>
I buy boxes and strip them down
Per box you get ~500 cards

Strip the rares & ultra rare list on eBay undercutting people by a small percent.

Offer free shipping since it's a stamp

Cards that sell for a $1 on eBay are cool and yeah you have a lot but with a stamp factored in your making 0.60 on a card. That might sit In your store.

My best day $80 off three cards in one day. So now I have to make $10 more off the rest of th cards to make profit on the box

Bulk selling is hard as well. I think on my table alone I have 2,000 cards from the three most recent sets.
>>
>>1165711
Following that

I get people that try to make offers all the time and say my kid wants this so bad please drop your price.

Set your prices as buy it now and don't accept offers if you're undercutting
>>
>>1165707

a card gets released that gives you value 60 percent of players are table top gamers that just care about ultimo dragon robot master the card you know for a fact that a certain card will be a staple at the pro level and is priced at 10 cents dropping a grand on a card that will more than likely hit conservatively 10 dollars seems like a decent investment.
>>
>>1165666
Argument where?
>>
If you spend any time with the game, speculation is like shooting fish in a barrel, buy up every dollar rare with potential in any new set, and even if most don't amount to anything, the ones that do increase in price tenfold, the singles market is totally fucked.
>>
Goblin guide used to be 5 dollars.

Then like 2 event decks got made and there was a huge surplus of them and they were like 4 dollars.

Now there 55 a piece.

Snapcaster used to be 10 and I don't know what it is now but I think its around 60-70
>>
What other cool investments are there?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.