[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Investment Banking at 30
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1418906917402.jpg (174 KB, 1001x823) Image search: [Google]
1418906917402.jpg
174 KB, 1001x823
Currently a 30 year old civil engineer with a bachelor in engineering. Is there any chance of moving into IB at this age with no experience? UK based.
>>
>>1165128

that's a bit on the old side gramps
>>
Depends on your wealty granddad
>>
File: range-rover-holland-07-1.jpg (157 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
range-rover-holland-07-1.jpg
157 KB, 750x422
>>1165128
You can only become an investment banker through having a PhD in Applied Physics with a thesis on String Theory in Banach Spaces from the University of Harvard, at least 5 years of experience as CEO of Shell, 5 years of experience in Special Forces, a father and grandfather who are both billionaires, and 3 space travels on your belt according to /biz/.

Sorry buddy.
>>
>>1165128
IDK, closest I know of is an Aerospace engineer friend who worked as a quant for a while in his 40s. But he had a PhD and years of experience doing numerical simulations of stochastic processes.

IB seems like a different animal though, more traditional finance heavy.
>>
>>1165128

No time like the present Anon. You aren't going to be in the prime of your career until your mid 40s anyway.
>>
Why, OP? IB is shit, you get yelled at by 20 people, and they want to spend a small million to educate you and train you, to work for them.

For those purposes, they prefer 21 year old #Top5 Graduates. Also, old guys don't like having a younger boss taking a shit on their heads. Missed the train to enter as an analyst.

Now, the good news. If you look into MBA's, you might be able to enter at an associate level. Or with your background, consider /Quant/ positions rather than PowerPoint/Excel monkey. Look into P.hD's, self study X Y Z....

Imagine yourself as the employer, and you need to give yourself a reason to employ yourself.... get me?
>>
>>1165138

Finally somebody spelled out the full set of requirements for an IB job. See here gents, that's all you need and you'll be rolling in dough in no time. If you have what it takes then it's time for you to join the ranks.
>>
sure, you have a chance. though its way lower than a fresh graduates chances, which are already low. go for it, but dont expect it to work out so have some other options ready. why you would want to go into IB at 30 years old is another question but thats your problem so who cares
>>
OP here.

OP was a theoretical scenario. I will become a self employed automated flash trader and stick to my day job. Need to learn about market spoofing et al first.
>>
>>1165128
>>1165343

Kek keep dreaming m8
>>
>>1165128
You definitely could be. I know a mining engineer that did a CFA and got into an investment analyst job at a boutique fund that focused on the resource sector.

Depending on what work experience you've had, you might have a chance at something like that.
>>
>>1166658
How many years of mining experience did he have?

Thanks for your time.
>>
>>1165176
This guy gets it.

>>1165128
My brother is in IB, he says alot of his co workers are engineers so it's not like you aren't qualified. However, he said that if you don't get in shortly after graduation it becomes really fucking difficult to join.

My brother worked all Easter weekend including an all nighter of starting Saturday and finish mid day Sunday and going back on Monday morning. It's not a good life to live unless you have that work ethic, and the kids that graduated and got in to IB all have proven to have a high work ethic through excessive extra curricular plus a minimum of distinction average at a top tier school or a HD average at a mid tier school in either (or double degrees of) Law, engineering, finance, economics.

>With no experience
No chance. If you didn't get in to IB straight away, the only way is to work at related 'prestigous' companies doing finance stuff.

HOWEVER. What the guy said about being a quant is true. If you have done heavy math work you have the opportunity to be a quant and not go down the traditional IB route. As long as you are REALLY good at math, you have an opportunity, but, you will be limited to only math stuff of making models.

tldr; IB is not worth it, but, you could be a quant if you worked at prestigous businesses or maybe for like NASA or something while doing heavy math stuff.
>>
>>1166692
> My brother worked all Easter weekend including an all nighter of starting Saturday and finish mid day Sunday and going back on Monday morning.
But what the fuck do IBs actually do all day? Just speculate on markets?
>>
>>1166700
"How was your day yesterday?"

>Arrived at the office at 7:00, met my colleagues at 8:30.
>Went through the news till 9:00.
>Then, sat in front of a monitor till 12:00, a bit of Power Point, a bit of Excel, mostly doing nothing.
>Then, we went for lunch.
>Followed by a walk around the area.
>By 3:00, we went back to the office.
>Went to an internal meeting, mostly gossiping, till 5:00.
>A little bit of market till 6:30.
>By 7:00, I was gone.

The next day:
>Oh no, I work 120h per week.

Basically, you're a small monkey passing bananas to the bigger monkeys and boot-licking your way to the top. It's a job for social Chads, but highly paid, so I'm kinda jealous of that aspect. Don't understand how it got so popular though.
>>
>>1166700
I really don't know what he does. Btw, IB's aren't always dealing with markets/publically traded companies. My brother deals with consulting. He basically consults for big businesses on a team that basically recommend what the business should do.

>
Basically, you're a small monkey passing bananas to the bigger monkeys and boot-licking your way to the top. It's a job for social Chads, but highly paid, so I'm kinda jealous of that aspect. Don't understand how it got so popular though.

This is pretty accurate, actually. He just does excel shit, ratios, plans of what could happen if the business decided to pump out more products than last year or whatever the idea might be, analysis.

Just whatever needs to be done so that way you can get promoted for being a good wagecuck and earn 1 million a year by the time you're 40
>>
File: WASHTREET_BANKAHZ.jpg (88 KB, 1000x541) Image search: [Google]
WASHTREET_BANKAHZ.jpg
88 KB, 1000x541
>>1166737
Are there any math related jobs in IB that aren't straight up quants?

I'm still in university for mathematics with some CS classes.
>>
>>1166740
>>1165128

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbuborn14Mc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UG11JzWzMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OReolQm34TQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apOUbIDOu0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfrRsTd_-mE

Watch it.
>>
>>1167012
Anton my bae
>>
>>1166737
>>1166719
Sounds like UTTER UNPRODUCTIVE BULLSHIT. How the FUCK did we let society get this like? Seriously, it sounds like they're as busy as blokes filling in pothole son the roads but doing a job that is less beneficial to society.
>>
>>1165128
I feel as though this is a job that will be utterly annihilated with the advent of more sophisticated AI.
>>
>>1168429
The traders don't contribute anything other than liquidity, but, the other IB stuff is useful. It's simply financial assistance for businesses that want to pay for the risk or the service or whatever.

There is clearly a demand for them if they are doing something beneficial.

>>1168453
50% of all traded things on electronic markets are done by algorithms, and kind of, all the quantitative stuff can be, however, there will always need to be people to design the models and change the models accordingly as well as people to give a judgement on non quantitative things like new management or psychological factors in marketing etc.
>>
>>1167012
This guy knows it

as he states, algos do the day-trading, no day-trader can beat them without his own algos. most of the job is in commisions, prop.trading is where it's at since it demands fundamentals which an algo cannot do, however HF are a better choice than IB.

you should watch trading desk conferences to see what the job is actually
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.