[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a bs in math just bs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: TheVoiceOfReason.png (60 KB, 360x288) Image search: [Google]
TheVoiceOfReason.png
60 KB, 360x288
Does a bachelors degree in straight math actually lead to any kind of jobs?
>>
>>1164671
it does if you minor or double major in cs, or if you go to a top school. i studied applied math at a shitty state school and make $35k/yr doing manual labor on swing shift because i can't find any better jobs. going back for my masters in accounting so I can get a real job.
>>
>>1164687

If I do a finance degree with a minor in mathematics at a target school
>>
>>1164693
you'll probably be able to get a great job but talk to people at your school and see how the alumni have done.
>>
>>1164671
who you know and where you live is more important than what you study or even how well you do
>>
girlfriends cousin just graduated with a bs and ms in math and is currently teaching high school trig.
>>
>>1164744
where?

private or public school?
>>
If you're grades are good you can probably get into a big four like Deloitte. I know a guy that majored in mech eng and worked at Deloitte. Supposed to be rough starting out though.

A lot of math grads reserve themselves to teaching, which I think is a waste (given the state of the teaching field) because as someone like me that is below average at math, I think the ability to do it and do it well shouldn't be wasted.
>>
I know a guy with a masters in math and he managed to get a job at IBM doing something right out of college.
>>
MIT math majors are highly sought after by financial firms. But you probably go to West Undershirt U, so it won't be as useful.
>>
no, math degrees doesnt really "lead to jobs", but there are a lot of different jobs in business/finance that you can get if you actually apply to them.
>>
>>1164746
public high school in florida.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.