[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 26 too late too late to go to university?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1384736422008.png (131 KB, 288x339) Image search: [Google]
1384736422008.png
131 KB, 288x339
Is 26 too late too late to go to university?
>>
>>1163647
Depends on what you want to study, how much you make now and the amount of debt you will take on.
>>
>>1163647
Not in general. I knew a couple of people in aero eng that were 28 or 30, and a couple others with kids. A different guy at junior college was 42 and going into nursing after being a truck driver for most of his ... "career".
>>
>>1163647
Nah. You'll be older than most people, but not by much. If you're going there to study, who cares? Just get your work done. The main issue is how you're going to pay for it.

I went to college at 30. I've seen people going back in their 40's and 50's. It's just your attitude and wanting to better yourself.
>>
Nope, my cousin went to college at 30 after spending all his 20s doing drugs and drinking alcohol. He is now an electrical engineer making good money AND he is going for his masters right now.
>>
I've seen grannies in college, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1163647
Nope, go for it. It's never too late to further your education
>>
>>1163647
go NOW before you get any older. Just make sure you are willing to commit.

What are you planning to study OP? This is really important.
>>
>>1163647
I was gonna go back this year too.
>26
>trained and worked as a chef
>fuck this job, actually worse than 95% of all other wage cuck jobs, only good thing is cooking is actually fun sometimes, but It's lost its appeal now.
>Australian citizen so interest free uni
>Should get good welfare while studying too.

I was going to do food science, from what I can tell there is decent demand in this area. Thoughts on subject choice? It just seems to make sense with already knowing a lot about cooking.
>>
>>1163716
This. What are your career aspirations?

Financial firms recruit 21 y/o #Top5 graduates so they can shit on their head. Anything else should be within your reach.
>>
>>1163724
Sounds like the type of subject someone would pick to have a 'social degree', and enjoy themselves for 3 years as opposed to studying.

I would pick something else, e.g. CS/Engineering, and you can self study plenty of Food Science in a library environment.
>>
>>1163726
This anon is right.

There are some degrees where they will not put you in a graduate program because of your age. Pretty much all business related stuff I would stay away from. Who the hell wants to hire a 28 year old intern at a big 4, or a marketing team or a bank?

They would hire a 30 year old graduate for teaching, psychology, engineering (not to sure about engineering).

Just be mindful that people will discriminate against your age in certain fields.
>>
>>1163647

No, but you're too old to live on campus
>>
>>1163647
There are a massive number of 28-32yo people doing undergrad at my community college, so you're fine I think, just don't dick around,
>>
>>1163647
best way to get a 19 year old gf
>>
just started studying software dev at 27ish and doing great. top of my classes with good internship.
>>
>>1163663
I think nursing is a great career choice. No one ever brings it up on here much, but it's seriously a great one.

>70k a year starting out
>great benefits
>Can work anywhere in the world
>there will always be sick people

I think its going to shift more towards geriatrics and old people in the coming years; theyre all retiring and stuff. All of those boomers who have been nurses for 30 years are retiring and leaves new people to come and take their old jobs.

Mind you those boomers are fearful about these new nurses because they didn't get the same training as them. Most nurses graduating nowadays are more booksmart than people and clinical smart.
>>
>>1164181
Girlfriend is a nurse.

She makes about $50,000 but we live in a crappy area. If we moved in together, we'd have a household of over $200,000 in an area where the median income is $30,000.

The hours suck, benefits are meh, and vacations are almost nonexistent. Hospitals are run like corporations. You need to put your time in to make decent money and benefits. It's also a mentally and physically draining job.

It's a good career, but a demanding one that doesn't have much room for advancement unless you do a ton of schooling. If you want to be a manager, you should probably learn to speak Tagalog, too.
>>
File: 53694783.jpg (36 KB, 300x166) Image search: [Google]
53694783.jpg
36 KB, 300x166
>>1163737
>engineering (not to sure about engineering).
There are firms that hire older grads as engineers.
I went to college for mech E with a dude that was 40yo with two kids.
He got himself a spot in a firm before graduation ever came.

Idk what became of him after that though.
>>
>>1163737
>Who the hell wants to hire a 28 year old intern at a big 4, or a marketing team or a bank?

big 4 public accounting firms have no problem hiring interns or first years in their 30s. i mean if youre trying to do investment banking, yeah you're pretty much fucked. but it's no big deal in big 4 public accounting.
>>
File: 1449515554693.png (16 KB, 917x1186) Image search: [Google]
1449515554693.png
16 KB, 917x1186
>>1163724
>mfw 26 and jsut finishing geting trained and starting a "career" as a cook
>>
>>1163647
lol

no

t. going back at 21
>>
>>1163647
I went at 24. Had a great time, got a useful degree. Just be sure to live in the extra help centres in year one, some of your high school knowledge will be rusty.
>>
>>1163647
it's never too late to go to school
>>
>>1164181
Found the american
>>
I'm 29 and in my final year of a geology and GIS undergrad.

I started at 19, then flunked out and went to work.

Had a way better experience the second time and was more focused and knew what I wanted out of an education.

Most people think I'm still in my mid-20s.

It was always encouraging to see other people with alternative life journeys. Most of the young shits don't belong in academia either. Anyone studying social sciences would be better served learning a trade and going into the work force.
>>
>>1163724

I think u should get a biz degree, you can leverage on your past experience as a chef and get into the management side of the food biz. So, all those years of cucking would be some use.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.