[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Engineering a Meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: 1451437792631.jpg (205 KB, 778x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451437792631.jpg
205 KB, 778x1000
Well....is it?

If it is overated, what is an underated degree?
>>
It's a pretty good degree. Probably one of the best bachelors degrees.
>>
>>1163620
How come so many people on here say it isn't worth it?

I figured it would be one of the most secure high paying bachelors to get as well.
>>
File: final boss of degree tiers.png (165 KB, 1349x566) Image search: [Google]
final boss of degree tiers.png
165 KB, 1349x566
>>1163628

My position is pic related. People can have differing opinions. Statistically it is one of the most secure, high paying bachelors degrees.
>>
>>1163628
It depends on your attitude. I met guys in CS courses who did the minimum. I studied like crazy, worked on side projects etc. You get out of it what you put into it. Mark Zuckerberg was writing programs and forming businesses in high school.
>>
>>1163634
You need a engineering degree to work as an engineer.

You need arts textbooks to learn the content. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars for instruction in it.
>>
>>1163659
I'm going to have to agree with this.

>>1163634
If someone likes literature, likes politics or history they will learn it in their own time, just like someone can learn engineering, HOWEVER, the qualifications one gets from doing a law degree, engineering degree or a psychology degree etc is that they can get licensed to do jobs that nobody else can legally do.
>>
>>1163659
t. Someone who knows nothing about history or art history as a field of study
I'm a STEM major but I'm not delusional enough to think I can become harold bloom by reading literature or a curator at the British museum by reading The Story of Art.
>>
>>1163615
This is gonna sound really lame but just do what you love. Engineering has good starting salaries but if you don't have a passion for it then it won't really matter to you. If you want to go into finance or business then STEM, economics, or finance are fine. A humanities major can still get you into some finance or business sectors if you go to a prestigious uni and are incredibly good at networking.
>>
>>1163727
Yeah, I want to go in to finance. I've been told by banker friends that alot of their co workers are engineers so I figured I would do engineering so that way if I hate finance stuff I can go do engineering.

I don't go to a prestigious uni, I got to a top 100 finance uni and a roughly 300 engineering uni. (World Rankings)
>>
>>1163729
>wants to go into finance
>might hate finance
My advice is don't do engineering if you don't absolutely love it. If you love another STEM field (other than biology, biochem is good though) then go into that field. Engineering is too time consuming and you need as much time as possible to network and do impressive extracurriculars, not including internships. My opinion is that the best option is something like economics or finance because they take up even less time than STEM degrees like physics or chemistry but are still highly respected by banks/won't be discriminated against by banks like a sociology or psychology major would. Also, do a few accounting courses. Accounting is VERY important for finance and accounting courses will give you the knowledge you need to evaluate financial statements (very important skill) and answer many (not all) technical questions in interviews.
>>
>>1163740
I can transfer to a double degree of engineering and commerce or engineering and economics etc so I don't have to start again.

I don't absolutely love it, but, I am genuinely interested my engineering course. So far it has been interesting and useful (computer engineering lol).

I'm not from the U.S so we don't get to pick elective classes (which I assume is what you do in america from your sentence).
>>
>>1163742
Well in that case then I'd advise trying to self study some accounting if you can but if it would result in you having poorer performance at school or not having enough time for extra curriculurs or networking then don't do it. Don't do a double degree. They don't help with recruiting and are a time sink, unless you have a ridiculous work ethic and can somehow do a double degree, network effectively, gain a leadership position at some club or society, and prepare for recruiting/internship applications. An engineering degree is good though, just as long as you have enough interest in it to do well. Final piece of advice: do as many internships as you can. If you can't land an internship at a big firm your first or second year then try smaller/regional firms and go for bigger firms in your third and fourth (if you're in the UK and only have 3 yrs then try to go for big firms in your second and third years) and try to do a summer internship in at least your second to last year. Internships/relevant work experienxe have pretty much become a requirement at most firms in most sectors of finance.
>>
>>1163742
>>1163819
Also, I'm not sure if you want to be a trader or an investment banker but prop trading firms like computer engineers. Bankers don't differentiate much between economics, finance, and the individual STEM degrees (except biology and psychology if you consider STEM)
>>
>>1163615
Engineering is not about a degree. If you think that's the case, do not bother with engineering.
>>
>you gotta LOOOVE it or dont bother
fuck this noise
I graduated with a bsee and i fucking hated every second of it
you just have to realize that youd hate everything even more than engineering because there is no money at the end of that long painful trail

enjoy your houseless mortgages, wagecucks
>>
>>1163841
>implying engineering is the most lucrative profession
No thanks, I'll stick to my mathematics and economics major, which and I loved and which got me an offer at a reputable investment bank
>>
>26
>electrical engineering technologist
>paid 2k a year for community college
>VP of Sales and Operations
>80k+15k commissions+5k bonus
>part time contract as a nuclear power lobbyist
>$120 an hour for 20 hours a month

No meme here
>>
>>1163824
I'd definitely prefer to be a trader, that's why I chose computer engineering over my 1st interest, mechanical.

I don't think I could handle the hours of an investment banker. I have family in investment banking and they work 6 days a week, public holidays, all nighters etc.

Also, your info about internships. Do you think it would be worth searching for 1 first year? 1st years could probably only land one at like local firms like small accounting firms I suspect.
>>
>>1163891
GPA?
MAny internships/experience?
Gifted?
>>
>>1163877
great congrats
this is to all the engineering students who think you're not allowed to hate something you do because the immediate and central goal in life is to ~just be happy~
>>
>>1163903
What is the central goal in life? Making money but contemplating suicide everyday? What's the point in doing something you hate? Surely you don't think that spending 40 years of your life in misery but spending old age in comfort is a worthwhile way to live life.
>>
>>1163898
Project management internship in high school at a power plant
Yes, never put in much effort in school but attitude changed when money came into the picture
>>
>>1163911
there is no central goal in life especially when you're poor and trapped in debt forever
but going through a major you hate for a job you tolerate and pay you love is the best you could possibly hope for
>>
>>1163897
First year you could try local private equity firms actually. It's not directly related but it still looks relevant and is probably better than accounting firms (though accounting firma seem like a good idea because they could teach you accounting basics. But I'd try looking for internships at trading firms as well because that would be even better. They would also be small, local firms and you're probably gonna need to do some cold calling to get an internship.
>>
>>1163927
>when you're poor
Ah ok. Do what you gotta do I guess.
>>
>>1163714

>a layperson will be able to acquire knowledge functionally equal to an expert in fields that I, anonymous STEM major, do not approve of, but not in fields which I have blessed with my approval!

Well look at you.
>>
>>1163615
>what is an underrated degree?
physics

any physics graduate has the skills (but not necessarily the certifications though) to perform the work of any engineer, but not the other way around. Also financial analysts are almost always physicists.

Oh and there's a very, very slim chance you might figure out some revolutionary way to achieve nuclear fusion or carbon nanotubes or some shit like that and become a billionaire overnight. But don't count on it though.
>>
>>1163615

Computer science is the best degree at the moment. Comfy during school, comfy once you graduate.
>>
>>1163989
I would add the caveat that cs is good only if YOU are good. If not you will be replaced by Pajeet who will do your code monkeying for 5 cents an hour
>>
>>1163990
This is actually sort of a myth. Pajeet's labor is cheap as fuck and there's incentive in using it, but quality control becomes a much bigger issue when you outsource jobs to third world countries. Things like defensive programming, efficient algorithms, efficient code in general, will be sacrificed. That means bulkier code with more bugs. There's a reason most large companies don't use Indians for projects that are worth anything.
>>
>>1163982

That's not really what that poster said.

It was more along the line of the fact that you can learn these topics on your own, but to be a practising lawyer or engineer you MUST have completed a degree in it.

Hence you are better off taking a degree needed for professional qualification and learning the rest on your own time.
>>
>>1163999

You can't learn those topics on your own though. Just surface level layperson stuff.
>>
>>1164000

The point is you can learn them easier than you can get a degree in Eng etc without actually studying it in university, lol.

Its not like you can't learn humanities by going to courses, seminars, conferences, discussions and readings etc.

For professions your forced to learn it at university or you can't get your professional designation, there's no other option.
>>
File: PEwsHFr.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PEwsHFr.jpg
324 KB, 1920x1080
Was thinking of starting a thread regarding to this matter, but I'll just ask here.

So I have an opportunity to head into Kurdistan and work there as a structural/civil engineer because of my relatives. I'll make a fuckton of money and it's waaaay beyond what I will ever be making in the west (it's ridiculous). But for this I need a civil engineering degree. Now lets say however unlikely it is that this plan fucking tanks and it all goes in the shitter, I'm left with a civil engineering degree in the west. How fucked am I? As far as I'm aware of EE and MechEn are the real mvps, since construction has become far more regulated here and it doesn't really work in the same way at all in the middle east.
>>
>>1164266
how much we talking mayne
>>
File: g0fdOCw.jpg (256 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
g0fdOCw.jpg
256 KB, 1920x1080
>>1164285
It's a ballpark figure but it's around 1.5 - 3 million USD when I'm around the age of 30. And this is per job or "contract". This is if ISIS gets blown the fuck out before I get my ass there. ISIS has completely flunked the economy, no one dares to buy shit at the moment.
>>
>>1163974
Any tips on my cold calling.

Should I offer to work for free? I seriously wouldn't mind, I don't come from a poor family.
>>
>>1164291
kurdistan does not exist yet.
Are we talking about turkey?
Are we talking about a new nation that will emancipate itself from turkey/iraq?

the questions you should be asking:

will the region continue to be destablised?

is the economy going to sustain demand in your field?

will the status quo remain the same in the foreseable future?

The last one is the most important, your family may have connections now, but that doesnt mean shit if they dont have connections tommorow.

Sounds like you dont know what the fuck is going on, and thus are putting yourself under considerable risk.

Also, isis may be blown the fuck out, but islamic terrorism aint going nowhere.
>>
bamp
>>
File: 1392940303228.gif (2 MB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
1392940303228.gif
2 MB, 200x198
>>1164501
>kurdistan does not exist yet.
Okay, would you like me to say northern Iraq?

>Are we talking about turkey?
>Are we talking about a new nation that will emancipate itself from turkey/iraq?
No I'm talking about Kurdistan, if it will emancipate from Iraq is debatable.

>is the economy going to sustain demand in your field?
>will the status quo remain the same in the foreseeable future?
I'm fortunate enough to be in a situation where that is.

>The last one is the most important, your family may have connections now, but that doesnt mean shit if they dont have connections tommorow.
There is absolutely no reasons for them to just fall off in a few years time. They've lasted generations and our family are mainly engineers with strong ties in the engineering business.

>isis may be blown the fuck out, but islamic terrorism aint going nowhere.
Yeah okay, I'm not really sure if you know the difference between ISIS and islamic terrorism. Do you? Because the other is dealt with on an almost daily basis and the other one is a "tad" more powerful, organized and far more dangerous since it's just neighbouring the region in question.

>Sounds like you dont know what the fuck is going on, and thus are putting yourself under considerable risk.
How in the flying fuck do you reach to this conclusion? My question was how a civil engineering degree could do in the west, I didn't ask for your input on if I should go or not. Of course I'll go but what the fuck would I do If I didn't and I'm left with a civil engineering degree in the west. That was my question. I appreciate you taking the time to actually answer but there's no need to flip the fuck out.
>>
>>1163911
>What is the central goal in life? Making money but contemplating suicide everyday?

I'm halfway there, I just need to make money.
>>
OP, I am a recruiter for a company with almost exclusively manufacturing or automotive supplier clients. We don't do contracts, and I constantly have to place any and every type of position needed to run a manufacturer in the mid-west, a large portion of them are engineers.

Engineering is extremely stable, but I wouldn't say that they are among the richest. They start off pretty well in life, and towards the end of an engineers career they can expect anywhere from 100-180k, depending on the company and role.

Of the different types of engineering, I would recommend mechanical or electrical engineering for automotive or aerospace. Quality, industrial, or manufacturing engineering for any standard manufacturer, though not automotive. Chemical engineers usually can do similar quality and process engineering roles that the aforementioned engineering majors can do, but chem E's flourish in the oil industry.

I'd say if you play your cards right, you can expect 50k-60k leaving college, sometimes less if you're outside of Michigan. After 10 years you should easily be 80k and higher, but that's if you don't hop around too much. You can also consider sales engineering towards the middle or end of your career, which can lead to commission based positions that can easily push the 200k cap depending on you.

If y'all have any questions about engineering school and the current midwestern economy, please ask me.
>>
>>1163615
what's the sauce on that pic? i recognize it as a derivation of some famous painting but i can't recall the name.
>>
>>1164850

This sounds like the best answer in thread. Not an engineering major, but I know a bit of guys that have gone through those ropes. We're coming from a well respected engineering school so the opportunities they have are great and they find killer entry level jobs.

There are companies out there looking for engineers/tech people and they do fair in recessions. Companies need the brains (and the bean counters) to do a lot of important tasks.
>>
>>1164850
Thanks for the input, I don't live in the U.S, i go to a mid tier engineering school (ranked just over 300 on world rankings I believe) and I don't aim to work in engineering (I aim to work in finance).

I'm currently enrolled in computer engineering, however, I have set it up so all first year is an overlap from compE to most other engineering (specifically MechE because I'm kinda tossing up between that and CompE)

Questions:
My CompE classes are basically Electrical Engineering classes with a little bit of computer science classes, would it really matter that I did CompE oppose to Elec Or Mech if I want to end up in engineering oppose to finance?

What is the best engineering major to pick if I want to work in finance, specifically trading. I've been told by others and in this thread that Comp is the best, do you suggest otherwise?

I'm a few weeks in and the math is challenging. Is this a bad sign or does every body find it hard?

>>1164859
Der Wanderer
>>
File: 1398110296464.jpg (52 KB, 960x760) Image search: [Google]
1398110296464.jpg
52 KB, 960x760
>>1164266
>>1164836

tfw your family had similar connections to the Gaddafi family before it all went to shit. Currently doing my master in EE, if I had the same opportunity as you I'd do it in a heartbeat.
>>
>>1165013
What is the benefit of doing a masters in engineering?
>>
>>1165079
Should probably start off by stating that I'm not from the US, so my education is free. Anyway I don't really know what I want to do the rest of my life, but I've been in contact with a few consulting companies and their work seem fun and diverse. Most of them have stated that they prefer master students over bachelors. I'm hoping to do my thesis at DNV GL since it's right up my alley.
>>
>>1165137
Don't know what DNV GL is, I'm a first year
>>
>>1164266
Civil engineering has the strongest job growth potential in the next 10-20 years out of any engineering discipline outside of computer eng/science (in the USA atleast)
Our roads and bridges are literally falling apart. We're never going to stop building buildings
>>
>>1165258
this
this
this
this

if you want a field that will be so easy to get into because nobody will have the cock to sign off on a bridge thats failing.

all that money
>>
>>1164836
northern iraq will emancipate itself 100%

Seeing that the russian backed PKK is already in conflict with other US-friendly kurds i'd say the conflicts in the region will continue for the foreseeable decades.

So we have your family and its connections adapting to an entirely new state whose legislation is bound to either be very very free market (USA) or very very corrupt (RUS).

Seeing that this is the middle east corruption will always run rampant, but from what i can tell if your family is not on the right side of all of this they will lose everything.

Backing US proxies is their only choice imo, but it sounds like you have no idea of your family's position or leverage.

So again, too much risk.
>>
>>1165311
>US-friendly kurds
There are no US friendly kurds. If you know anything about the region, people there have a long memory and they still hold grudges for what happened during the first gulf war when Saddam was given the carte blanche to gas and massacre them.

Kurds will work with whoever will bring a recognized Kurdistan to fruition.
>>
>tfw civil
>tfw modeling water quality 400+ years into the future
>tfw i'll be long dead before anyone can find out if I was right or wrong and yell at me
>>
>>1165328
that only confirms what i said.
>>
>>1163615
Education having anything to do with a career is a meme. Your grades are not an investment and what your diploma says will never be read by a serious employer except a government agency.

I did a biology degree and volunteered in an engineering lab. Never went to class. I'm in a big city so i just got a tech job quickly which later became a research and engineering gig. a grand total of nothing I did in university was relevant to my jobs. I knew about matlab and r but i cheated on assignments.

You need to find out what you like to do first. Take all kinds of classes online or go to a library. Buy knee pads and suck some old man cock for a mentor. it's 4 years, 2 of which are almost the same for everyone and they make as easy as possible. Maximum you'll be doing shit 20 hours a week for classes unless you're retarded. This time is not enough for any skill or knowledge. If you just want a safe bet while you do other shit, take straight math in undergrad and do business/marketing/finance for your masters/certificate/internships later. Nothing else is even close unless you get into a specific top 5 program right away. Also fuck you.
>>
>>1163634

This is retarded. You can learn art and history from just watching NatGeo and youtube videos/reading fucking books. I took an art history class and it was just wrought memorization and our liberal ass bird-like tacky teacher asking us to basically regurgitate all the information back in essay form. It didn't help me appreciate art anymore than I already did, and she'd use bombastic sayings like "crescendo" in descriptions for paintings. Waste of time imo. History's broader but generally doesn't change really. You just got to pick the proper sources.
>>
>>1163615
>Is engineering a meme?
Why don't you take a look at the device you used to post this useless thread? It was likely desgined by a team of engineers. If engineering was just a meme, you wouldn't be able to shitpost on your favourite indonesion basket weaving forum and we would all still live in caves.
>>
>>1163634
Engineering is one of the few disciplines which SHOULD try to expose you to as many things as possible. Otherwise, it's a shitty programme. This is most clearly seen by the incompetent programmers produced by CompSci degrees who claim they know anything about software engineering. The amount of failures is now massively smaller than it was a few decades ago. Sure, they can reach the same level, but most of them couldn't even come close to getting internships which would help them in the first place. You're talking like years of first hand experience difference.
>>
You will make more money in the trades than you will with a degree.

My two cents.
>>
>>1166472
to pay for surgeries
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.