[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here done a master in computer science without a bachelors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: lines-of-code.jpg (521 KB, 2235x1500) Image search: [Google]
lines-of-code.jpg
521 KB, 2235x1500
Anyone here done a master in computer science without a bachelors ?

How was it?

Considering it, I have an undergrad in Economics. Seems like computer science is the future
>>
>>1162767
it will be the futures wage cuck proficiency
computer experts were the rare thing in 80's not everyone wants to be one
>>
only reason devs get paid better than wagies is that its fucking boring if you are a neurotypical and you actually have to do something to get results.
>>
>>1162818

I wonder if it will last.

>>1162777

>it will be the futures wage cuck proficiency

Right now it seems like one of the few remaining jobs where you can actually be a wage cuck and still have an iota of self respect, along with engineering and medical.

>computer experts were the rare thing in 80's not everyone wants to be one

If this keeps up, so will the salaries.
>>
>>1162821
i imagine there will be little need for physical workers but robot trainers and even ai psychologists are going to be a thing eventually.
>>
>>1162777
This. Kids are being taught this shit now.
>>
Is there a future in software/web development? I'm scared that in 10 years or so it's gonna be the most common job, and the salary will be a lot less than what it is now. I'm only in it for the money desu, I find it somewhat interesting, but if the wage wasn't so high compared to most other jobs, I wouldn't be doing it. Is there a field that is guaranteed to be a good choice for the future of automation?
>>
>>1163354
No.
There are more TECH graduates than there are job openings already.
Plus Indians and Asians overflooding the market on top of a nation wide surge of technical students is going to lead to a huge over supply of technical labor within the next couple of years.

Only people pushing the "CS is the future" are tech companies wanting to harvest the cream of the crop and not want to pay that much for it.

Kind of like the California gold rush how no one got rich but a shit ton of people got fucked over.
>>
>>1163354
accounting at the CPA level. bookkeeping and other low-level work is being automated but the more complex accounting work that is done in public accounting (tax, audit, transactional services, etc) requires advanced education, professional judgement, and interpretation of laws and regulations that are sometimes ambiguous.
>>
>>1163367
That's what I'm afraid of. I don't have a degree, but I'm 2 weeks away from finishing a Java certification. So unless I really get into a good company, I'm pretty much fucked for the long term if things really get as bad as you say.

>>1163369
Yeah, CPA level accountants make like 150k in Canada, but how would you even put yourself in the position to do that kind of work? The competition must be insane
>>
>>1163371
im in the US but from my understanding you do your best to start a large public accounting firm. i know that big 4 public accounting firms in canada (pwc, ey, deloitte, kpmg) pay absolute SHIT, like $35-40k/yr compared to $50-60k/yr in the US.
>>
>>1163371
>>1163372
as shit as reddit is, if you want to learn more about CPA accounting then head over to /r/accounting. it's a fantastic resource.
>>
>>1163354
Computer Science major here. Took Some Graduate courses like Algorithms and AI. You are going to have to do 2 semesters to catch up though. I am a data analyst. An excel and SQL warrior pretty much. If you have a niche skill within comp sci and are talented then you can write your own ticket. I'm on path for DBA. It requires few years of pre-requisite experience but will pay 75k plus.

Skilled Soft dev is still sought after, if you can build. I'm not so good, didn't start programming like the 16 years do now unitl i was 22-24. The cats out of the bag but still good field, get some experience and keep learning tools, concepts, languages, etc.
>>
>>1163383
^^pretty much this^^
You need to pick up something and become the know-it-all of that something otherwise you are going to end on the average line, is there something in particular that interests you op ?
>>
>>1163383
>Skilled Soft dev is still sought after
that's the main problem
i'm a senior developer and part-time project manager i also do interviews for hiring to junior dev positions.

lots of people come and i know after the second minute that they are totally useless for some years to come and not wroth to even continue. but we do the 1 hour interviews anyways a fucking waste of time but it would be really rude to tell someone "fuck off and don't come back until you learn to program you nigger!"
>>
>>1163383
I'm already 22 tho, and by the time I start and finish a CS degree I'll be like 28. If the market for a CS grad goes tits up I'll be pretty fucked. I'm gonna try to land a web dev job within the next couple of months, work for a year or so to save up money for uni, and re-evaluate my situation afterwards.

>>1163393
Tbh I'm pretty interested in architecture, I like the creative aspect of the field, and the technical and logistic aspects seem pretty interesting as well. Being in the upper echelon of architects must be awesome since you get paid a great salary to design important structures. But also being stuck as a CAD technician for the majority of your career sounds depressing.
>>
>>1163399
forgot to add in two years we only hired a single person (and that was due to some nepotism btw) and wanted to hire 2 guys who really knew their shit but they got better offer. so nothing.
>>
>>1163409
how does the company you worked for filter out the applicants? If someone doesn't have a degree, are they automatically trashed? What is the easiest way to stand out as someone without a degree applying for a junior position?
>>
>>1163354
Additional question: would a math degree, with out without a CS concentration, be good enough to get a CS-related job? Considering that I'm shitting myself in terms of getting a co-op in my current major (mechanical engineering), I might have to jump ship.
>>
>>1162767

I did a BSCS at a decent public university.

At first I worked in IT and did classes at night. Then I was laid off but had a lot in savings, severance, unemployment etc. and went full time.

I was studying, but also reading extra for the more interesting subjects. I was also working on open source programs. As well as my own projects to make money. I also went to tech meetups.

Some of the kids didn't even care to study or get a good grade. Passing was enough for them. I don't know what they think their future will be, because they will have trouble finding and keeping jobs.

You get out of it what you put into it. You have to put a lot into it to start getting back from it. Which means you have to enjoy it on some level.
>>
>>1162818
>its fucking boring if you are a neurotypical and you actually have to do something to get results.

I did other jobs before doing IT - I worked in a super market, mopped floors, sold electronics, did construction work.

How exciting is it to wash grapes off then put them in plastic? How exciting is it to sweep the same empty office building floor every day? How exciting is it to walk up and down stairs with heavy construction materials? How exciting is it to meet the sometimes insane, sometimes whiny people who walk into an electronics store?

I'd rather be sitting at a desk, reading e-mails, chatting with my co-workers and writing code then standing in a supermarket basement alone, wrapping fruit and vegetables in plastic. How is that not boring? I got paid near minimum wage to do that, I got paid over $90k to work on the computer.
>>
>>1163354
Depends on your location. If you live in or near a major metropolitan area, like DC or possibly even Atlanta, then you are in luck sir.

If not, you'll struggle. But you have better chances than a lot of other people.
>>
>>1163503
I'm a CS major and have talked to several HR reps, software engineers and start-up people in my city about recruitment. Time and time again, when talking about computer literacy, they ask about knowledge on data structures, algorithms and optimization.
I've been denied internships because I haven't completed some of these courses.
So what I would recommend is that you learn how to program with some language like C/C++, Java, or python; and then learn everything from the basics, to object oriented programming, to data structures and algorithms.
If you master those three things and get a math degree you should be able to get a generic software/programming job.

If you want to work with databases then learn any of the SQL variants and study the theory behind them.

If you want to teach yourself low level coding then learn assembly and computer structure.

If you want to learn WebDev then learn HTML/CSS, PHP, and JavaScript.

If you want to learn mobile then learn Swift (for IOS) and familiarize yourself with Xcode; or Java (for android) and learn the google app dev thingy for android (forget what its called).

I think I mentioned most of the fields.
Without college your going to have build your portfolio with projects and contributions to prove yourself to employers. With college it becomes alot easier (although cost alot of time and money).
>>
shieet shall I just get an MBA or MSc Finance instead then?

wut do
>>
>>1163532
An MBA has never looked bad.
I would think that's the safest route but don't take my word for it.
>>
>>1163367
>>
>>1163399

Why don't they pass the interview, anon? What disqualifies them?
>>
>>1163422
>how does the company you worked for filter out the applicants? If someone doesn't have a degree, are they automatically trashed?
no in fact i don't have a degree either but most applicant are fresh out of uni or didn't even finish just has the creds but already looking for work.
>>1163567
lack of experience makes them useless basically if someone with zero real life programming experience walks out of uni it would take a year or even two before we can make a programmer out of him depending on how much effort he puts into it and how much innate talent he has. it's like doesn't matter if you know a language you won't be able to write good code in it until you fucked up 3-4 projects or even more you know experience is gold. and they don't have any. many people come that worked 5-10 years in the industry and still don't know shit. so mostly that.

it's not that these people are beyond saving i mean a large part of them are, but we don't have two years where we massively invest into them and they don't contribute shit but soak up our time and money.

once in a while there comes a dude that was born for this and really understands it all we see he could be productive in 2-3 months and we want to hire them, but you know so far we are shit out of luck.

the market is full of incompetents.
>>
>>1163775
sorry didn't answer the first part.

we do a sit down personal interview after we looked at the cv.

rarely anyone fells out because of their cv cause i really don't believe in it. you can write or imply stuff in your cv that would make me throw into the trashcan, but if you keep it short and to the point and keep your weird hobbies to yourself you will get an interview.

during the interview we will ask questions ranging from easy stuff like "what is an object?" to asshole questions like "in which order the static constructors are executed in this language?" we give code samples that have outrageous errors in them you have to stop by looking at it, and we talk about youur experience what projects have you made just for yourself (if none that's a big red flag if someone only learns programming in a class and has no hobby projects he is most likely totally useless and just jumped on the hype) and so on. in the end we gonna ask questions that don't have a correct answer we just want to see how you think and how confidently you state bullshit there are people that fell out at this stage they were talking nonsense too confidently and we realized that they are very inflexible and would be hard to work with because of their opinionated nature and misguided programming habits.
>>
>>1163781
CS college fag here.
What should I do now to make myself a useful employee if I find a job some years from now?
>>
>>1164246
you should choose a specialty you are interested in and probably try to have some real developing experience. for example try to write a software that helps someone like the family business or try to develop a mobile app. even a game will do if you try to write a game it will give you tons of insight.

you need to do a couple of these little projects preferably in a way where you have feedback about issues and feature requests from users.

second step try to dev something as part of a team, use source control, and issue tracking. maybe you can join a dev team on sourceforge or something.

third step take part-time job or even an apprenticeship at a software dev firm.

then you can call yourself a rookie dev. cause finishing uni will not make you one that one is sure.
>>
>>1164246
find an internship before you graduate.
>>
>>1163401
Don't get a CS degree. If you go computers get a Computer Engineering Degree. ..And the way engineering jobs work these day is that you start out as a CAD or code monkey ...then you move into management ..or not. THose are the real choices.
>>
>>1163367
>>1162889

hey bruh bruh I got a bachelors in cs and finance and distinguished myself at a startup for 2 years now I am moving to a low cost of living city in the usa to a new job making 105k/yr.

23 and 105k a year. cs is awesome
>>
>>1165682
>>1163367
>>1162889
oh but this is management btw
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.