[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to quit a job?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
yo /biz/ so I got this job as a dishwasher to try to make some extra money during college but it fucking sucks. I get paid shit for hard work and I inhale the chlorine fumes from the washer and it gives me bad headaches

anyways I dont even need the money or experience so what is the best way to quit?

I work tomorrow and do want to go so what should I do? I kinda just dont want to show up but that would be a dick move and it would be awkward cause I would still have to come in to get my paycheck in a few days
>>
giving 2 weeks notice is customary but if you don't care then just don't show
>>
>>1162241
If you don't care about 2 weeks, at least wait til you get your check, then inform them in person that this will be your last day. It's ok if you tell them at the end of your day.
>>
>>1162245
yeah but would it be weird to just quit suddenly and then come back next to get my paycheck?
>>
>>1162241
I worked in the dishroom and it's awful.

Just tell the boss ahead of time you have a job lined up, starting ___

Work how many days left depending on how much you like your boss/manager. People tell the boss out of courtesy and for the arrangement of the last paycheck.

I worked shit jobs out of college, and basically quit on the spot at the warehouse when some temporary worker pulled a knife against me, then when I told the manager/boss that it was my fault.
>>
>>1162245
This.

Even if it's a shit job and you don't need the money, you can still benefit from leaving on good terms. A good reference is a valuable thing, even if the work is pleb tier.
>>
In IT, I've actually found it to be a bad idea to give two weeks because they'll often show you the door pretty quickly. You may find yourself in a position of having 4-6 weeks without pay (2 weeks for the old employer, 2-4 before the new one sends its first check).
>>
>>1162241
Show up, laze around for the first third of your shift, when the place gets busy and they need you the most, just book it.
In the US they need to mail you the check if you never pick it up, though the time allotted before they mail it can vary greatly depending where you live.
>>
>>1162294
how the fuck is a reference as a dishwasher worth even a fucking penny? I wouldn't even put that on my resume desu
>>
>>1162624
This. You can just make that up and lie about it. No one will check, no one cares.
>>
>>1162250

I did this once, it was extremely awkward when I picked up my last check. I felt justified in quitting without notice though because I was having health problems and I no longer needed the money because I got a scholarship.
>>
Dont quit. Quit being a bitch and work. A strong work ethic is the most valuable tool you can have no matter what field you enter. Clearly your parents failed to instill that in you maybe some light(extremely light. Its dishes for fucks sake) manual labor will help. I hope you exploit this opportunity to grow as a person
>>
>>1162668
t. Wagecuck supreme

Fuck that jazz dude. They wouldn't spare you the same respect, fuckem.
>>
>>1162241

I always say never burn bridges. However, this isn't a career type position. I would say give your boss a call and say you are quitting and finish up your last scheduled shift.
>>
>>1162673
It has nothing to do with the respect of his superiors or even the wage. Clearly this kid is a lazy brat and just wanted some money handed to him. Thats not the world he lives in. If he learns that now hell be better off. Success requires hard work and that applies to every job from blue collar to white
>>
>>1162687
True but if he doesn't want to work there and doesn't have to anymore it would be retarded to continue just because of "muh hard work ethic"
>>
File: filename.png (4 KB, 136x98) Image search: [Google]
filename.png
4 KB, 136x98
>>1162624
>>1162637

Demonstrating hard work and the ability to collaborate with individuals effectively then you have somebody who a prospective employer can contact.

It's not about the dishes at all. Nobody cares about l33t washing skillz, but employers DO care about if you're a fucking team player and whether or not you'll be an efficient worker. THAT is what putting this shit job on your resume gets you, assuming OP wasn't a fuckboi in the dish pit.

>>1162673
Of course they don't. But that doesn't mean you can't hold yourself to a higher standard. Hey, you might even build some character.
>>
>>1162719
By demonstrating*
>>
>>1162719
You can just lie about those kinds of jobs on your resume tho
>>
>>1162729
Not if your employer is thorough and actually calls your references. I know plenty of employers who are this way.

If you are applying for some shit level factory job though, they wont care. Honestly, they usually don't care about resumes at all.

It definitely depends on the type of job, and there are some where you can get away with that. However if they found you out you could get fucked over big time.
>>
>>1162624

Your dishwashing boss has a buisness.
10 years later you own a company and you need a company in his field. If you fucked you missed a good buisness opputunity.

Why shut a dam door when you dont have too?

His son or daughter might know someone in the industry you wanna get into. Youll lose a valuable contact for no reason.

Or maybe youll face tough times and he can offer you the postion back.

You never know when youll have to go through him again.
>>
>>1162719

Fuck off boot licker this is 2016. Nobody gives two dog shits about "work ethic" or ethics at all of that matter. Companies exist to extort work out of employees and drain them physically and mentally to the point of serfdom.

$7.25 is a joke for working like an illegal Mexican inhaling chemicals and washing disgusting herpes covered silverware. This isn't 1958 grandpa. Flipping burgers isn't an "opportunity" anymore its a financial trap carefully designed to ream your virgin anus unto submission. Fuck off with this attitude it isn't /biz/ at all. Take what you can get ruthlessly fuck the morals and give back nothing. Don't ever do an iota of work "above and beyond" because you will never adequately be compensated.

Just keep chasing that carrot and pulling the carriage servant boy. Maybe you'll get that $2 raise after three years of gobbling phallus. Show up 10 minutes early cause if ur not early working for free you're late right?

This "hard work" meme needs to be put down like a lame horse. Work for yourself and define your own morals. Know what's best for you in the long run. Never compromise for an employers feelings because they will never return the sentiment.

Come at me company men.
>>
>>1162539
This is what I hate about the employment model. Employees are expected to bend over in every possible way for the employer but almost never show the same curtesy back. The two weeks notice example is perfect of this. You give it or you're an asshole, but don't actually expect them to give you a last 2 weeks of consistent work so you can plan accordingly.

Similarly, things like how service jobs schedule their employees. Almost every ad on the net says "Expect to work mornings, nights, weekends, holidays and swing shifts". Plus, the schedule rotates every week, often changing 48 hours or less before the first day of the schedule. Plus, just throw split days off into the mix even though effective scheduling could easily avoid them. How am I expected to have a real life around this?

Another example is putting your employers health and safety at risk just to save a buck. My last job the owner leased (I'm assuming) the smallest dumpster available. It was too small for the business and consistently was overflowing. They would charge 100 dollars per bag overflowing from the trash each pickup day. Did he get a new dumpster? No, of course not. He just expected us to jump on top of the dumpster until it wasn't overflowing. Sure, I'll risk falling 6 feet or having a needle stab my foot (high heroin use area) so you can save 50 dollars per month on a properly sized dumpster.

Fuck employers expecting the world from their employees and rarely/if ever returning the favor in even the slightest. The expectation on employers should be higher than "Well I signed your check" even in low skill work.
>>
>>1162754
I wasn't claiming that burning bridges is right, but thinking that a reference as a dishwasher is worth jackshit is just stupid
>>
>>1162768
THIS.

No one fucking cares about anyone else, the boss is fucking you over to make himself more money.

If you worked for 15 years at that restaurant(earning them hundreds of thousands over the years) and then all of a sudden got cancer and were dying, do you think your boss would remember you?

Fuck no, it's a constant powerstruggle. Your boss can't be your "friend" because he's fucking you over. No amount of "hardworking" will help you. You'll only make his pockets thicker.
>>
>>1162668
>>1162719
>>1162687

this

is there just one guy in this thread that isn't fucking lazy?

OP do your fucking job, work sucks, no one likes working. Deal w/ it.
I work in a restaurant, I know how it is. But I get up every day and go to work and do my job. Have a good work ethic, it's super important.

If you've been spoiled too bad to have a minimum wage job and do a bit of "hard" work for your money, then don't just leave. At least act like an adult and put in a two weeks notice. Don't be a spoiled tool.
also to everyone else : lying on your application isn't going to hide dat shit work ethic.
>>
>>1162789
Good boy.

Keep working hard for your boss!!! He surely appreciates you working to the maximum extent and will surely spare you at the nearest downturn, remembering how good of an employee you were.

Remember: if you're not early, working as hard as humanly possible and asking for as few breaks as you can then you're a parasite! *real* men work for 10 hours a day with no breaks and for shit pay
>>
>>1162798
I feel sorry for you. To miss the point this bad must mean you get all your validation from external factors. If you sought self validation as desperately as you did from others you would be a lot happier
>>
>>1162799
You are retarded

>Just keep working even if you're treated like shit anon! You have to keep working because otherwise your boss will lose a valuable slave!

Do you even hear yourself at all?
>>
>>1162799
And why do we have to put in a two week notice when they wouldn't put in even a day notice before firing us?
>>
>>1162768

$7.25 an hour, topkek. Doing dishes is a good solid part of my work and I make twice that. Negotiated a raise that was above the national average in the first few month of employment. Plus I make tips that double my wage.

So i'll just relax and wash dishes for over $25 an hour. You seem to think that one cannot be a go-getter and a yes-man at the same time. Have fun in "they're out to get me" land.

>Work for yourself and define your own morals.

I also own my own business.

Please anon, please don't be such a pessimist. Sure, life is tough and it's somewhat of a competition, but hard work always pays off if you're smart about it.
>>
>>1162804
>$25/hr to wash dishes
Who are you lying to man
>>
>>1162806

Obviously it's not the whole job.
>>
>>1162808
There is no restaurant job that pays $25/hr unless it's very high class.
>>
>>1162801
This is because when an employer fires somebody (not on the spot for something) they usually have a plan set up for who they're hiring to fill the position (assuming they aren't just trimming fat).

When an employee leaves without notice, they have to scramble to fill the position, assuming that the position is essential to operating the business. This is why they want you to let them know. A lot of times it makes no difference especially if the employer is used to a high turnover rate and can rehire easily. However, when it DOES matter, it can be a big deal for the business, and if you leave early and cause some hubbub, they most likely will not recommend you for your next job, or rehire you if you wanted to come back later.
>>
>>1162814

I work in the luxury sector.
>>
>>1162814
Wtf have you ever even worked? I made $25 an hour at a small town applebees. Girls with big tits made twice that as tending bar at the dives.
>>
>>1162768
>hard work
>meme
You wanna know how I know youre a failure?
>>
>>1162814
>>1162827

Bar tending can be very lucrative if you're decent at it and can get work at good spots.

I know people who worked bars and would take home $400+ in tips alone for one good evening.

To make the big bucks though you gotta either be really good, have big tits or not mind flirting with gay dudes.
>>
>>1162820
And it's not a big deal for the ex-employee who has to figure some way to pay his bills and find a new job immediately?

Explain how it's different.

>>1162827
You made $50k/yr at Applebee's? Somehow I don't believe that.
>>
>>1162834
Closer to 45k. Its not always an 8 hr shift. But ya thats not an outrageous salary for someone who works hard and grinds out tables
>shitty $5 tips
>easliy taking 4 tables or so an hour even when its slow/weekdays
A few good tips during dinner rush and Im clearing 25 before I even factor in my hourly which was raised to 5.25 because of my >hard work
>>
>>1162250
Yes, I've done it before. The awkwardness last a whole 2 mins until you leave with your pay check and never have to go back. I wouldn't put in 2 weeks for a shit dishwasher job.
>>
>>1162754
This is the dumbest shit I've ever read on here kek.
>>
>>1162834
I'm not saying that it's all peachy for the ex-employee, of course that's a shitty situation. It should go both ways but sadly that's not the status quo at the moment.

Assuming they did a decent job, it's usually in the best interest of the employee to let their boss know and stay in good standing with the employer. That is, If one would want to use them as a reference at all. That's what this whole thing is contingent on.

>>1162241

If OP doesn't need the money or experience, he should at least leave on good terms and have some job history that will demonstrate that he's at least semi-competent.

Most employers care more about work history than degrees or GPAs (varies widely from field to field). Not that a degree or a good GPA isn't important, it's just that a detailed history of hard work is a better way to prove to an employer that you are qualified. (Unless your school is prestigious enough to do that on its own. Most are not when applying for any job where this information is relevant)
>>
>>1162804
Bullshit. Your employer is a fucking idiot if he's paying a dish washer more than minimum wage kek. Negotiating a wage to wash dishes, literally got me laughing in the dmv right now.

You're either living in an autistic fantasy world or your employer is a fucking idiot. He could go on Craigslist and find tons of people who will do that work for minimum wage. Your experience is definitely not common if it is even true.
>>
>>1162855
This

That's fucking horseshit. You can't wash fucking dishes better. The min wage dishwasher is no different in quality from the $15/hr one. Your boss is either fictional or a fucking retard
>>
>>1162668
This.

The reason why shitty jobs are the beginning part of the normal middle-class existence is because it gives a good baseline for all future employment to be related to. The reason why boomers and some millennials hate cushy office work is because they refused to build the shitty job baseline and are not thankful for a good job when it comes along.

It is for this reason that I would recommend to young people fresh out of high school to do military service, because through the shitty details and bitch work they build a successful attitude to apply to easy civilian work later on in life.

So work your shitty job for a while. And then take your experience to a less shitty job and be thankful and hard working while all your pleb coworkers constantly bitch. You'll stand out and earn huge respect from your superiors, whose shining recommendation you can take to an even less shitty job next time.
>>
>>1162771
>jumping up and down in a dumpster
Why would you do something unsafe? You know you can politely tell your boss "no", right? Don't ever sacrifice your well-being for a job.

>>1162241
I actually don't mind the bad work etiquettes shown in this thread. If an employer is treating his employees unfairly then he should expect a lower quality of work. The mistake a lot of employees make, however, is by confusing a bad employer with just a bad job in general. When washing dishes you are going to be subjected to hot steam, chemicals, standing on your feet all day and bad pay. It just comes with the job and there is not much an employer can do to make this more enjoyable for you. You knew before you started the job that you would be washing dishes. It would be like if you got a job as a garbage man and complained about the smell.

Unless you were born rich, almost everyone has started working at a shitty job. I used to have a job flipping burgers at McDonalds when I was 17. It gave me a lot of appreciation for where I am now and taught me the value of money but most importantly, that I didn't want to work a job like that ever again.

Even Bruce Lee started off as a dishwasher before he started his own business. If you take everything as a learning experience then it makes it all worthwhile. If you make a decision to work a 9-5 then do it right. There is no point in taking a job then doing it half assed. Time and effort are the most valuable assets that you have and don't cost you anything. Use them to your full potential. If you get rewarded for it, great, if you don't then you haven't lost anything.
>>
>>1162855
>>1162857
B-b-b-but I have a Bachelors in Dishology with a minor in Kitchenware Sanitation. I completed a certification program for Dish Washer Mechanics and earned an Associates in Wash Science. I have 10 years of experience in the field of dish washing and have trained numerous young people in the expanding field that is dish washing. I know, both in theory and in practice, the most efficient dish washing methods by hand and machine, and have had extensive training in setting up multi-washer systems.

I deserve 30 dollars an hour plus 401k, plus 2 weeks vacation per year, plus medical and dental. If you don't give me what I want, I will call up my representatives from the Dish Washer's Union who will send people to break your kneecaps with a baseball bat.
>>
>>1162872

Nice sentiment but not relevant. OP is asking whether or not it's worth sucking 2 weeks of dick at a job he's already decided to quit. Obviously if you sign up for something willingly don't be a little bitch.

I'm honestly surprised at the amount of wagecuckoldry and boomer logic displayed in this thread. Are these the people giving financial advice about investments? A frightening thought indeed.
>>
>>1162855
>>1162857

Read the thread before posting.

>Implying 'solid part' means the entire job.

I guess I can't illustrate a point without it being interpreted as black and white. There are many points in time where I earn $25+ for washing dishes however it dopes not comprise the entirety of my job, if that makes it clearer.

This post was originally a response to >>1162768 saying "Fuck off boot licker this is 2016. Nobody gives two dog shits about "work ethic" or ethics at all of that matter." In which my point was, when I wash dishes and apply this principle, it has not only yielded financial dividends, but has also built character and allowed me to position myself to move to leadership roles within the company and get pay raises. By quite literally washing dishes. It's THAT easy to apply this to your job and do good work. I'm baffled when I encounter people who appear to have an utter contempt for their job, employers, and even fellow employees. Employment is ALWAYS an opportunity. Your boss can say fuck you and fire your ass whenever they want. Not being a cunt keeps the paychecks coming.

If you make yourself a valuable asset to your employer by making them more money, doing hard work and being a decent human being you then gain leverage when it comes to compensation and promotion negotiation. Taking the cynical route and assuming that all employers are out to get you is the most retarded, self-limiting and downright sad shit I've seen on this board in a while. Many employers want to help their employees and create a positive environment.

>>1162872

This guy gets it. It may not be glorious, but take pride in whatever you do, and do it well. It's how we learn and grow as people.
>>
>>1162888
I didn't address OPs question because it really doesn't matter. Any job that you can get with a reference from a dishwasher job is one that you can get without that reference. You wouldn't include a menial job on a professional resume and you can get almost any menial job without any experience.

You are against "wagecuckery" but for most people in this world, this is their only initial option. I am sure they would love to own their own business right at the get-go or just be given a way to bring in income on their own, but very few people have the knowledge, creativity or capital to do this. My point was that if you are, for whatever reason, stuck in a 9-5, think of it more as a mutually beneficial arrangement rather than you being a slave. A slave is forced to work, you have a choice. You took the job because you needed money so why treat your boss like an adversary? He is paying to provide a service for him and will vouch for you with other employers if you provide a good service and act above board. Relationships and connections are powerful assets that often can be developed by just aligning your goals with someone elses. Even in business you have to cultivate relationships with clients.
>>
>>1162241
2 weeks notice is the general rule for quitting.
>>
>>1162915
I would put a dish-washing job on an application for a restaurant job or bar job, or anything food service related.

It's very practical to go from what OP is/was doing to what >>1162827 was saying at Applebees or similar and make $40k+

I agree with >>1162867
>>
>>1162874

7.5/10
>>
>>1162928
>I would put a dish-washing job on an application for a restaurant job or bar job, or anything food service related.
I agree. It might not make any difference or it might make some difference. The fact that there is a chance that it could be worthwhile makes putting in the 2 weeks a no-brainer for you and me but we don't know OPs circumstances. He might be in school and this is just a temporary thing for him or he might hate his job that much that he will go postal if he has to endure one more hour lol. Either way we are talking about entry level jobs here that people with no experience get all the time. But yea, put the 2 weeks notice in. Its only 2 weeks which seems like a small downside for some upside potential.
>>
>>1162942
Well said. That's true about OP's situation though, there could be a ton of variables in play.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.