[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Regrets thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 12699751465.jpg (30 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
12699751465.jpg
30 KB, 640x480
>>
Thanksobama.sanders
>>
Also, buying GBSN
And I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't lose any money (it's called a stop loss)
>>
>>1161881
I regret that I only started now my company. I wasted 2.5 years of college
>>
I regret coming here everyday
>>
File: 1366092223019.png (1 MB, 680x431) Image search: [Google]
1366092223019.png
1 MB, 680x431
My friends and I made fun of the rednecks in high school for ignoring all the shitty classes that you never actually apply in real life while they got to do fun, hands-on shit outdoors because the rest of us thought we were superior.

My friends and I made fun of all the environmentalist/ green collar majors in college because I thought they were all hippies and brain-dead farmers (I was 80% right on this one) that wouldn't get a job while I had to sit in front of my computer screen at 10PM on a Friday/Saturday working on a report for class. We thought we were superior.

Men like them have cushy blue collar jobs with good pay and no debt, or super fun looking jobs like forestry with government aid helping pay for debt.

I work a salaried position in a cubicle.
>>
>>1161931
White collar cubicle work is comfy as fuck.

Idk why people complain, it's so much better than most alternatives and competitive with even the best ones.
>>
>>1161944
It depends on the type of work, and type of job.

I've interned in a government job before. Every single person behind a desk was spoiled silly, on facebook maybe 90% of the time and filling out their time cards the rest of the time.

I'm working support at a tech company right now. I have a close quota and 70 tickets in my queue. Good news is I've learned to grow skin made of stone to put up with all the niggers saying "where's my update it's been a WHOLE WEEK" or "why haven't you solved this coding problem yet that's your job!!"
>>
>>1161950
True but on average and as a whole it's super easy.

You work maybe 70% of the time, at best. Rest is spend talking, browsing and getting coffee.

Most jobs really are being a spreadsheet monkey doing easy as fuck work. Compared to "blue collar" work where you smell like piss, look like a drug addict/inmate and are lugging around heavy shit or doing menial labor? Nah I think I know which one I'd rather have.
>>
>>1161931

IKTFB

I got a business degree, only to fucking realize what a dead end mistake it was.

In retrospect i never even should have gone to college. I would have done electrical, pest control, a/c, plumbing, ect...

I would be way farther now.

And yeah I used to think those guys were so foolish when I was in highschool. And now they own a home and are way ahead of me.
>>
>>1161944

Maybe it depends on the job, but I worked in a cubicle and fuckin hated it. Every minute I felt like a monkey in a cage. At any moment any boss could just walk right into it and start talking to me. Or just yell across the office. It's not a pleasant thing.
>>
>>1162000
what business degree and from what school? i want to double major accounting and finance and eventually an mba in quant finance or just regular finance
>>
>>1162002
That's not much different from every job
>>
>>1161931
>cushy
>blue collar jobs
Anon blue collar job that pays over 13/hour has more pressure than any white collar job.
>>
should have gone geology instead of env science. even working in the field, i cant apply for a pg since i dont work often enough on geotech jobs. fuck, i know all the shit now
>>
>>1162148
not sure on that. every time i sign a document, im incuring anywhere between 10-50k liability for at least a couple decades. im not even allowed to sign for reports that have 100k-1m liability.
>>
>>1161894
bought yesterday. lost 29%, which was 450$
>>
>>1162152
I minored EnvSci and the only good it's done for me is help me get into my current field with GIS.

I know I sound like a tool when I say this but I don't mind my cubicle job. I just drink coffee and look at maps all day on a computer. Sometimes I have to give recommendations for stuff but its easy as fuck for the most part. Way better than my last two jobs. There's definitely some decent money to be made.
>>
>>1162172
i do phase i esas most of the time, some sort of groundwater sampling a few days a month, some odd jobs like pcb wipes, but i still like my desk job too. GIS shit really makes my job easier, county assessors are a hell of a lot better than even 3-5 years ago.
>>
>>1162181
I always wondered what those guys do. Sounded liek a lot of grunt work with dirt pumps and stuff. I majored in Bio, and I tried to get into source emissions testing out of college but it never worked out. Sounded like a good living too.

GIS is getting more mainstream for sure. It's also diversifying. I'm taking classes on Javascript and SQL right now. People say developers make all the money but its hard to say where the field is going for sure. All we know is that everything is getting a lot more user friendly as time goes on.
>>
>>1162188
ive had to diversify too. i dont do the work often, but when we get an asbestos inspection or abatement oversight, it lasts anywhere between two weeks to a couple months. i dont care for the asbestos jobs too much, but it brings up our office quite a bit.

my next one starts in a month or so, gonna be a doozy
>>
Not selling ETH when it was $15.

First time "investing" though so £100 to learn this lesson is not that bad of a trade I think.
>>
>>1161894
I bought some shares at fucking 30cents each. I'm down $2 now.

What is a reverse split?
>>
I wish I could have a cubicle job.
I don't think I'm good enough for one though.
>>
>>1162000
>he fell for the business degree meme

Same bro

Did undergrad in languages, then conversion masters to business. I fell for the "u speak mandarin, you'll have any job u want" meme.

Work for a tech startup and developing an actual skillset now, but had 6 months of NOTHING when looking for work. Startupland is great for experience, but the hours are insane and the pay is shit
>>
>wanted to get into BTC back in the day but though 20$ is too much and I should wait until price goes down again
>>
Taking Economics instead of a degree I would have actually been interested in. Which in my case was Geology. (Still at a top uni in my country)

Im graduating this year, and have had two internships. Ive been miserable at uni and hate my subject. When talking to the other interns on my internships, I realised they had studied a wide range of subjects from linguistics to Medical science. I didnt actually need a business/econ realted degree if I had the drive anyway.
>>
>>1161881
>6 months looking for work between graduation and finding a job
>Knew fuck all about tech so didn't learn to code during this time

If I'd learned ANY programming language I'd be on a lot more money now.

Learning python and R on the job now, so all good, but annoying that I could have just done it during months of free time

But fuck it, all worked out
>>
>>1162363
How much it was when you bought it?
>>
>>1162522
What are you using R for on the job?

Seemed like it loses a lot of its use outside of academia.
>>
>>1161881
I was denied access to money since I was a kid due to crazy grandmother and submissive parents.
Thats why here I am at age of 24 just start learning how money works.
>>
>>1162578

He's probably going the data science route. Python+R is pretty much the standard in that field.
>>
>>1162589
Yeah I would think so, I just don't know any jobs specifically that hire for that.

If I could use the R I learned in college as my job, I'd be doing that right now instead because that language is easy.
>>
>>1162578
What this guy said >>1162589

Currently in one of those weird hybrid startup jobs where it's a bit of everything, like analysis, growth hacking, lead gen, scripting etc.

Ramped my excel and python skill on the job, so learning R to complete the set, it's the trifecta for data analysis jobs, which would lead to data science potentially (or I might branch off to finance, haven't decided yet)

To answer your question, I don't really use R yet, though I use Pandas, which does similar stuff, just through python.
>>
>>1162000
A business degree is great if you want to start a business.

>People thinking they are going to get a great job with a degree in photocopying
>>
>>1162524
$10.60
So I flirt with "profi"t and loss daily now, Whatever though.
Just going to let it sit there, maybe it will go to the moon without me noticing.
>>
>>1162595
Breddy useful for data analyst or data scientist roles.

Pandas is a good alternative, but R is well thought-of
>>
>>1161913
What does your company do?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.