[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is college just a meme /biz/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: Average-College-Debt.jpg (47 KB, 360x420) Image search: [Google]
Average-College-Debt.jpg
47 KB, 360x420
Is college just a meme /biz/?
>>
College is not a meme if you

>go to an ivy league
>major in physics, medicine, or engineering
>want to have fun and your parents are paying for it

Other than that, yes it is a meme. But even if your IQ is 160 and you build a god damn nuclear reactor in your basement if you don't have a degree your baby boomer employers will pass you up for someone who does.
>>
>>1160930
try r9k
>>
>>1160933
every single major that is normal is worth it moneywise unless you go to an expensive private one.
>>
What is the absolute latest to go to uni? I'm 22 right now, and I'm basically just working my ass off to get a web dev job, work there for a year or so to save money, and then consider uni. I'm not sure if I want to do web dev for a career, but I don't have any money to go to uni right now, or I would.

I'm just scared that I'm gonna be like 27 or 28 when I graduate and it will be kinda late for a start in a new career field
>>
Everything is a meme, op, except the true Dhamma
>>
Not in the sense that you mean it. College qualifies you for an entire suite of opportunities leading to more opportunities that people who don't go to college don't even have a shot at.
>>
File: college.png (133 KB, 1172x366) Image search: [Google]
college.png
133 KB, 1172x366
>>
>>1160982
also, do companies hire people who don't live in their country AND don't have a degree. I'm in Canada, and I want to work in NYC. If I send my resume with a few years of experience in the relevant field, but no degree, will companies just ignore me?
>>
>>1160930
College is, was, and always has been a place to network and meet people for when you start a business or inherit one. The sooner people on this board realize it the better.
>>
>>1160933
>major in physics

STEM autist and/or physics major detected. physics is a fucking useless degree.
>>
>>1160997
>Not taking all that cheap cash and starting your own business
>>
>>1161258
>Physics is a useless degree
I'll be sure to tell all my quant amd data scientist friends that they wasted their time.
>>
>>1161323

Except you have no friends, since you're a STEM autist.
>>
>>1161323
you don't get quant or data science jobs unless you go to a school like MIT, HPY, Stanford, Harvey Mudd, CalTech, etc.

and on top of that quant jobs don't really hire at the bachelors level, they look for phd or masters in financial engineering students. same with data science jobs -- they want masters in data science/machine learning/statistics.
>>
>>1161367
A Masters or PhD is highly recommended if you want a job of any worth in Physics, however, you'll get a stipend and free tuition wherever you go for it.

Plenty of Physicists go on to be Quants in part because the models for options pricing are formally identical to those in physics. JP Morgan recruited directly out of our department for a few years back in the 2000's (granted I went to a top 10 gradschool.)

I have an MS in Physics and work as a data scientist. There's no specific degree requirement. I know people with just a bachelors in math, and I know people with PhD's in CS.
>>
>>1161434
I really dont know what i want to do in college. Would majoring in finance and math be a good way to securue a well paying job?

i gave up on my dreams in medicine because it just takes way to long and in that time i could be making money and supporting my family
>>
>>1161504
not the guy you quoted but do a double major in math and comp sci. if you're smart you can make $60-80k/yr starting, probably closer to $100-120k/yr as a software developer at top companies (tech or banking) in the silicon valley, nyc, chicago, etc.
>>
>>1160933
What if I go to an Ivy League and take a government or other non-STEM course?
>>
File: 1458289459416.jpg (46 KB, 366x361) Image search: [Google]
1458289459416.jpg
46 KB, 366x361
>go to local state school branch
>only 5,000 per year

That's about on par what the canadians pay, why the memes again?

does this meme come from people going to overpriced liberal arts colleges out of state?
>>
Yeah bro it's such a meme! Skip college! The ukranian kayaking website so
>>
File: degree tiers.jpg (255 KB, 679x1019) Image search: [Google]
degree tiers.jpg
255 KB, 679x1019
>>1161258
>physics is a fucking useless degree

end yourself
>>
>>1161554
yea most people for some reason think CC -> State college is not worth it even if you get the same degree
>>
>>1161584
But I'm not even going to a CC, I'm going to a local branch of a state college. It's the same degree as going to the main campus(which I might go to for the last year) without having to goy out for insane boarding costs, parking passes, meal plans, etc.
>>
>>1160933
>>go to an ivy league

Or you could go to a nice State University. Like Texas A&M or University of Texas.
>>
>>1160982
I just started doing IT internships at 28, it's fine
>>
>>1161588
Literally because 'muh college experience'
They wanna live the college life and that doesn't really happen at a CC
>>
>>1161635
Not all State Schools are created equal however. Some are more prestigious, and therefore produce more desirable graduates.
>>
its currently a meme as of now. Probably a meme for the next thirty years too. If it's any consolation you can still get some kind of associates degree and avoid minimum wage. But unless you want to be a nurse or doctor which not many doctors are in demand right now then you might wanna start learning how to develop apps or something. Just coming from a conservatives point of view.
>>
My wife is finishing her applied CS degree in May, and she already has a $71k/year offer from a major defense contractor. It's not even a full CS degree, it's applied.

So, it can pay off if you go into the right field.
>>
>>1160933
>tfw I just want to be a child therapist

Is it worth it to incur massive amounts of debt if I know exactly what I want to do?
>>
>>1161558
lol if you believe that. look at the data by AIP. even with a masters degree, you're facing an 8% unemployment rate 1 year after graduation. https://www.aip.org/statistics/employment
>>
>>1160933

Programmers don't need degrees fagboy
>>
>>1160933

>degree is paid for by my PART TIME job
>going for computer science
>will graduate and be undoubtedly making enough to at least support myself in an apartment, if only at first

Yeah theres literally no downside I'm seeing here. I don't have anything better to do with my day or anything.
>>
>>1161367
You do realize that Physicists literally invented most Statistics/Data Science right? The Monte Carlo method was invented for the fucking Manhattan Project.
Physics is basically EE, comp sci, and math/statistics
>>
File: Chart-E3-5_e[1].gif (5 KB, 601x315) Image search: [Google]
Chart-E3-5_e[1].gif
5 KB, 601x315
>>1160930
>just got trades bro
>my brother is making 30k bro
>just six months schooling bro
>If you do it for 50 years you can make 90k bro
>>
>>1160930
I'm only going because I want to live in America and this is the only way to get there
>>
>>1160933
What can you get out of a medicine degree?
>>
>>1160982
You could always join the reserves
>>
>>1162350
umm, being a fucking doctor?
>>
>>1162350
makin 300k/year?
>>
>>1162311
Non-trade fag detected. Trades GOAT
>>
>>1161670
Bernie Sanders is just ahead of his time. We may not make all college free but I can definitely see price controls put in, expanding the community college system to be able to accomplish 300 level classes and possibly creating a 5th year where you specialize, like CPA, MLIS, CFA, whatever. Insuring people aren't allowed to do degrees that are beyond their pay grade, like if they are in poverty they aren't allowed to do Art History.

Also a more unified and coherent IT degree that gives you all the certifications with a CS foundation would be awesome, its always seemed like a huge PITA to be a IT guy to me, could be wrong I dunno.

It is NOT a meme, its just basically New High School at this point. Also a lot of HS's are beginning to make barebones curriculums now because they know the CC or University will already teach advanced English among other things.

Masters Degree is the new meme. They are expensive as fuck and not even always good. Most humanities needs PhD, and professor positions are running thin. STEM PhD is dodgy but holding up. MBA is becoming a joke. Law Degree is extremely risky.

Would recommend anyone gets a BS/BA but be really careful about Masters.
>>
Should I go study linguistics, /biz/?
>>
>>1161434
Pretty much this. I have a bachelor's in Economics.
>>
>>1160930
Depends. I'm interning at an investment firm in California and my mentor never went to college. He did have an extremely successful portfolio by the time he was 30 though.

The extremely gifted do not need college, but the rest of us do because we can't be amazingly great on our own. Feels bad but that's life.
>>
>>1164026
Did you like economics? I'm a finance major and I've been tempted to switch to economics because most of the economics majors I meet seem to love it.
>>
The idea that a college degree is the pathway to success is an idea that has spread from person to person in American culture; so yes, college is a meme.
>>
I got a bachelor's degree in economics and made 3 publications while working for the uni. Right after college I got a job offer with merrill edge for 42k a year. I hated it and couldn't find another job. If I'd do it again I would've just gone on to get my masters and maybe a phd.

I think unless you do something specialized and in demand, you're fucked unless you atleast get a masters.
>>
>>1160930
yes
>>
>>1162179

*good programmers
of which there are few
>>
>>1162350
Being a doctor?
>>
>>1164152
yup to few
we had motherfuckers at our firm that shit up the codebase so fucking bad we still couldn't eradicate all the mess they made.
the worst kind is the sedulous retard. makes a lot of mess it appears to be working at first so if you are in a hurry you don't immediately kick them out. and the make a huge mess.
>>
>>1162350
I might be wrong on this. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark on this one.

You could end up being a doctor.
>>
>>1162311

That graph seems like shit and has no source. Most of the trades have a median wage of 45-60k. Welders are the ones that don't break 40k like your graph shows.
>>
Its a meme you can't live without. Because everyone has a degree now and regulations on trade jobs are tight, good luck ever earning more than £16K unless you work in sales.
>>
>>1162151
not worth it.

Still do it. And dont earn much money so I can continue to milk this business until others cotten on there's money in Psychology and Therapy
>>
>>1161234
Underrated
>>
>>1161557
>going to college because it was shilled to you for years in hs
>>
Yes.
>>
>>1160930

I got a bachelors and a masters.

Today I use neither. They were pretty much a complete waste.
>>
in the US we are lending money we don't have to kids who can't pay it back to train them for jobs that no longer exist.
>>
>>1164039
I love it. Best kept secret in world of business degrees.
>>
>tfw dropping out after this semester (exactly 1 month from today)

I'm sorry biz I just can't do it. I'm not the smart kid my parents thought I was. Every day in class I want to kill myself. Today I was in the library working on an auditing project but I could feel the sunlight from the window, see the green grass and spring flowers. And I just felt like a caged animal. I'll just go become a package handler at UPS for the rest of my life.
>>
>>1166126
>package handler at UPS for the rest of my life
seemsgood.png
>>
>>1162350
Yes, you can be a doctor. But guess what, even if you make 100k as a GP, you actually make 40k as you pay off your debts. If you save all your money from like 18 to 30 in a 401K maybe you'll have enough to break even relatively soon.
>>
>>1160982
Web Development is a fucking meme if anything Hahahaha. Good luck finding a job.
>>
>>1166126
so you'd rather be a slave to a shit job for the rest of your life than study for a few years
>>
>>1166703
He could start his own business as well with the money he's saving from not going to school and from his work. Though he does seem retarded so I doubt that will happen. Really he should just fuck off from /biz/ because we don't need his type here.
>>
>>1166345
That's not how that works.
>>
>>1166703
Yeah Yeah but but some of the RICHEST men in the world didn't go to the college.
>>
File: 1414019206007.jpg (83 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
1414019206007.jpg
83 KB, 500x628
>>1166126
This is because you do nothing in the little free time you actually have. Go fucking do something a little adventurous when you have a break. People get bad habits of just sitting around watching tv all day and shitposting. The people I know who get around this feeling make some sort of schedule to get out of the house for a few minutes, even when they don't particularly want to.
>>
>>1166979
Most of the other the richest men fucking did though. Sure you can think you're a special snowflake, but you're probably not that. You may as well be some minority kid in the city thinking you're going to be the next football/basketball star.
>>
>>1166703
>>1166848
I'm studying accounting, I'd still be someone's slave with my degree. Just a better paid slave.

If you can't do something with passion why do it? At least that's how I see it. I can always go back anyway, UPS pay for almost all of your college tuition.
>>
>>1160933
you don't need a degree for anything anymore unless you plan on getting a doctorate first. a certificate is enough.

the reason anyone should go to university is to have fun and meet professors and like minded colleagues. if you are going to do your own thing then there is no benefit to school, you should just go to a library or straight into employment.
>>
>>1167038
And the faggot takes the bait
>>
>>1160930
Thanks to god the only good thing about my country is the public university and it has a pretty good level.
>>
>>1166126
Within 5 years package handlers will be replaced by robots
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.