[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Choice of Major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
What are some good choices of major for 2016? Is an econ major employable or satisfying? Pic related. Would have a 3.7 GPA but I just got a .7 in one of my classes so I'm stuck with a 3.1 so unless I get the class withdrawn I'm stuck with a 3.1.
>>
Graduated with economics and stat, got a job at the federal government. Basically I just analyze industries to publish National accounts the BLS and BEA uses to make their little reports.

Kinda boring but good benefits, (telework, have off every Friday) so I can live far from the city and do some hobbies.

I just show up, go to one or two meetings a day and then put my headphones in and do my job without people bothering.
>>
>>1160718
I'm hoping to go into small time M&A or consulting.
>>
>>1160713

Engineering, Medicine, Law, Accounting
>>
>>1160801
Those require a higher GPA than I have
>>
>>1160713
A word of advice: the first rule about the UW is don't go to the UW. You will waste two years of your life and thousands of dollars only to be told to go somewhere else when you finally get to apply to your major. Example: the mechanical engineering department only took 15% of its applicants this year. Those were all people who had been at the UW for two years already.
>>
File: 1447711521385.jpg (48 KB, 640x476) Image search: [Google]
1447711521385.jpg
48 KB, 640x476
>>1160900
Trust me I know. People here kinda suck unless you're in the greek system. I'm hoping to transfer but the .7 might totally fuck my GPA, and I have no idea where I'd go on a budget. On a more positive note, those who make it into their program do fairly well. If I get the .7 expunged then I will be able to get into Fosters.

Also: I feel like a pre-req for getting into the CSE department is being a total douchebag as well.
>>
>>1160920
I can't tell, is that your high school GPA or college GPA?
>>
>>1160968
College. First year, and I have good EC's. I should be able to get it up to a 3.45 by next winter quarter.
>>
>>1160971
Don't fall for this trap. GPA's only go down with time there, and at a 3.1 things are looking like they're not going to go well.
>>
>>1160900
My friend went from UCSD to UW for his PharmD. Said it was a soul-crushing experience with grade deflation. This is coming from a person who attended UCSD...
>>
>>1161011
Yeah, they need to be audited by the state, to be honest. The shit they're getting away with is absolutely insane.

50% of the student body is Chinese so that they can get their precious international tuition and a lot of the classes are taught by random ass underpaid grad students that don't know or care what they're doing.
>>
>>1161021

Thats funny, the UW just got ranked as one of the worst in the world at being able to attract international students, but what does QS World know, they've only been ranking universities for decades, some dude on /biz/ obviously knows more than them.
>>
>>1161010
I'm taking Rocks for Jocks, Business Calc, and English this next quarter. Econ at a CC. An easy stat class and then a mix of easy classes + busines pre reqs. I think I should be okay, once I get to higher level classes I'll be fucked.

I was living out of a duffel bag which led to the .7 and am seeing a doctor to get a note for a hardship withdrawal. If it gets waived I'll have 3.7.
>>
>>1161021
This is why I'm taking my next Econ class at my local CC. Would have been with an international grad student who's ratings show he isn't good with English.
>>
>>1161048
Weird. A lot of international students come here because it's closer to Asia than many other schools and Seattle is historically fairly Asian. Something like 40% of students are Asian
>>
>>1161048
That's a nice made up statistic you've got there. I roomed with a chinese roommate and he said it was because some state run Chinese newspaper said that UW was "the best school in the world." On too of that, what many of them do is move over here during high school so they can achieve resident status and then move back as soon as they're done. They keep themselves busy with their BMW's, cigarettes, yelling, and insane political opinions in the mean time.

Also, as if the excessive Chinese student population is the only problem with that place.
>>
>>1160920
I hope you aren't in TKE, just for your sake anon.
>>
File: BofE Clerks 19th C..jpg (57 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
BofE Clerks 19th C..jpg
57 KB, 660x371
Doubled in history and econ. I eat, breathe, and shit government statistics.
>>
File: 1440680838281.jpg (29 KB, 385x387) Image search: [Google]
1440680838281.jpg
29 KB, 385x387
>tfw undecided

im never gonna make it senpai
>>
People say its a meme but I'm going to say computer science. If you can't find a job with this degree you're probably brain dead.
>>
Fuck UW those piece of shit faggots. My homie from Taiwan took his CSE classes at community college and got into the CSE major. Then when I get 4.0 (top 5% of class) in both intro classes with an also good GPA those fuckers don't let me in the major.

I applied twice and they even continued to let me take their major's courses. Not sure their reasoning but I admit I could have done even more to sell myself. Maybe it was because I was already in biochemistry and Econ major's and close to completion?

So I just said fuck it and graduated. I should have stayed longer but whatever. I eventually found a job in technology, and was able to increase my income a lot. I found that some principal engineers did not even go to college, or studied something unrelated and that on the job experience is pretty damn important for software.

Even though I upset thinking back, it doesn't really matter because I got my foot in the door. My father, and my grandfather went to UW. I will encourage my son to attend a private college.
>>
>>1161385
I love history and hope to go bak and teach once i'm older. Going to consider this once I know about my .7.
>>1161377
No I was in a frat that was close with TKE tho. Ended up leaving, but will be going back to the greek system next fall.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.