[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rich People Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 640x430
Do you interact with a lot of rich people? Who's the richest person you personally know? How did they get that wealthy?
>>
The CEO of our hedge fund is a billionare. He doesnt flaunt it and is a pretty normal guy. He's built many successful companies.
>>
I want to ask something, is the use of noortropics (or even harder substances like cocaine or amphetamines) common among wealthy people?
>>
most of mine just had rich parents. some started companies. idk dumb question. rich people are just more fun to be around. one group im in always goes all out trying to do a hundred things every day and spend a bunch of money on quality shit, but most rich dudes just live normally and might dump their money into single big expenses or their hobby.
>>
Literally never socialized with a true millionaire (liquid million). It's like I live in working class suburbia and there's no escape.
>>
My boss that i see and talk to everyday just inherited the company when his dad died (multi million dollar company and is part owner of a concrete plant that does huge numbers also) literally queer as hell and extremely childish hard not to laugh when he tries to act angry, very easy to manipulate from what i have seen in my ~8 months here seeing how the CFO and everyother corporate person high up is a women.
>>
An uncle and a cousin have made it big, but my investing advisor and some of his clients are very up there too.

They are all older so are pretty sedate about it, but my cousin is a little overbearing.

Generally, though, they all have their own businesses and that's what they like to do. It's not like they really want more cash, they just do their businesses because it keeps them busy.
>>
>>1159922
The question is what fields are producing the most rich people? Is it computers ? Is it construction ? Sales ?
>>
My father is friends with a millionaire, but he (i. e. the millionaire) is probably one of the saddest persons I know of. His wife left him and married one of his good friends (probably cheated on him with said friend beforehand), his son was a drug addicted who committed suicide and he disowned his daughter after he found out that she, while pretending to study law for several years, was just partying etc. at his costs.
>>
All the rich people I know just happened to have rich parents and went up from there.

The richest would be a billionaire owner of a furniture factory. He turned millions into billions by being one of the first people to jump on the "send all the jobs to China" boat.
>>
>>1159914
Most of my friends have fathers who are CEOs or top managers. They earn millions of dollars. My uncles are either mechanical engineers, heart surgeons or neurosurgeons earning hundreds of thousands of dollars (albeit in different currencies).

My family is upper middle class though. Father is a self made network technician/manager who never had the opportunity to get a proper degree but worked his way up with multiple diplomas and such. Proof that hard work pays off.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I myself will aim to earn in hundreds of thousands once I finish my commerce degree though. Help my family out
>>
>>1159914

I grew up in a neighborhood where nearly every resident was a millionaire. There were a handful of people who had over $50 million.

They all got it from business. Either they started a business, or the moved up high in the ranks of a powerhouse company. One guy was CEO of a major computer data company. He was making like $10 million a year I think.

Most of them were pretty down to earth and drove regular vehicles. Never once saw a Ferrari or Lambo. They had their problems though, divorces and drugs usually.

This was in North Georgia suburbs.
>>
Not a lot of rich people, but I do have an uncle with a net worth in the probably $7-10 million range. He recently closed on an apartment complex at $3ish million, so I'm kind of extrapolating his wealth from that and where he lives (by the Golden Gate Bridge).

He's a super nice guy, doesn't flaunt his wealth, and most importantly, he's incredibly interesting and knowledgeable in a huge range of topics.

That said, he really regrets not starting his investments until he was already in his 50s. He's around 70 now and would probably be worth >$25 million if he'd started when he says he should have (in his 30s).

OP, my impression is that the vast majority of rich people don't want to flaunt their wealth because then they have to deal with garbage from family, friends, and the public. It's better for their stress levels (and safety!) to just keep it a secret and appear as middle class as possible.
>>
>>1159921
No. Many wealthy people actually abstain from all drugs. My golfing buddy runs a distribution company worth around $20,000,000 and he talks about how him abstaining from sex and masturbation has been fueling him.
>>
>>1159921
Only new money types.
>>
I build cabinets for many multimillionaires. Houses usually range in the 3-5M$ range, but the largest one I've done cost $9M to build.

The younger ones work relentlessly, the older ones still do too, even in their sixties.

Most of them aren't pussified, I think that's their 2nd strongest trait. The first being working hard.
>>
>>1160098
What to they do ? Are they CEO's are they in the tech sector ?
>>
>>1160107

Read the millionare next door

Most millionares are not doctors and lawyers. They own plumbing companies and other boring shit where you dont need expensive shit to impress other people.
>>
>>1159914
Well, I meet a new movie star/athlete every month, so that's kind of cheating.

My grandparents.
They're both children of off-the-boat Irish immigrants, bought a house for $1000, both worked at dead end jobs for 40 years and now they have a couple million in the bank.
>>
>>1159921
no never from anyone I know. They hardly drink and none smoke.
>>
>Do you interact with a lot of rich people?
Yes
>Who's the richest person you personally know?
Alice Walton
>How did they get that wealthy?
She inherited her father's pact with Satan, uh, I mean his company.
>>
>>1160126
no you don't want to be those kind of millionaires. those are "saving" millionaires. you want to be a "earning" millionaire
>>
Richest person I know is probably my boss. His father started a pharmaceutical company, which has been passed down to him and he's been running the business ever since. Truth be told, he looks stressed out all the time, like he's a moment away from having a heart attack. I used to love the idea of owning a business, but watching my boss kind of shut me away from the idea.
>>
>>1160168
You're uninformed. Owners of those companies make millions per year.

CNBC has a show about it called Blue Collar Millionaire.
>>
A friend who inherited just over 200 mill. As well as islands and an airport. He dropped out of school and is on a permanent vacation. Some times we get drunk and shoot guns at his estate.
>>
>>1160164
How the hell do you know her?
>>
>>1160168
I agree there's a difference, but I think some of it depends on how it was earned or saved, and some of it may be innate.

Saving type here. Retired after having gotten what I wanted out of business. Stock market generates most of what I need and as a childfree, I have no worries about dipping into principal over the rest of my life.

Richest guy I know is 9-digit earned-it type who ran dthe startup from which I retired. Family had single-digit millions. Startup got him triple-digit millions from his exit.

Coolest motherfucker I ever knew. Every bill got paid on time to every vendor, had profit sharing so even people who didn't get on the train early enough for material equity positions did OK as long as the company did OK. Held annual open-houses at his retreat for all employees and their families. Earned it honestly, kept what was his, shared enough to keep us interested when we were getting disillusioned. Bore no grudges to those who left. We all have our reasons for our career choices, and he understood that. That part I think came from the fact that he earned most of it even before the exit.

Way more down-to-earth, even post-exit, than I would have been if I'd made that amount of money. That part I think is innate. And it was dumb fuckin' luck that I wound up working for someone like him instead of some fuck like Ward Pincus instead.
>>
>>1160386
That's the kind of founder and business owner I want to be. I want to prove you can treat employees well and still make a retarded amount of money.
>>
>>1160056
>he really regrets not starting his investments
What does this mean? Investing in index funds? Daytrading? Building a real estate portfolio?
>>
>>1160056
>the vast majority of rich people don't want to flaunt their wealth because then they have to deal with garbage from family, friends, and the public. It's better for their stress levels (and safety!) to just keep it a secret and appear as middle class as possible.
Well, that's just crazy...

That is just crazy, crazy talk.
>>
>>1160386
>as a childfree
unless you're fertile, stop being a faggot and start breeding

>b-but muh ez happy life
Life isn't about being happy, it's about reproducing at its core
>>
>>1160990
Long-term investing, so yeah individual stocks and indices, along with real estate I assume.

>>1160992
Friend of a friend recently let it slip on Facebook that her family has a butler; dad was pissed. You don't let anyone realize you have that much money unless they're a close friend and won't go blabbing about it.
>>
know a couple, they mostly are just normal people without even ever talking about their wealth. Although some drive fancy cars (RR - Phantom drophead & Porsche 911 RS GT3) and have a mansions you could only dream off, there isn't a sign that they are wealthy as fuck.

Jobs: Scrap metal (golden business) / Rooftop builder/revision / Tank systems for oil
>>
>>1161019
I can imagine. You want people to judge you on what you act like, not on what you have.
>>
I somehow happened to find myself surrounded by rich friends, I went with most of them to school and stayed friends ever since. I'm running a small company myself now even though my parents never had anything to do with business. Looking at said friends and their parents gave me the push. Personally I think that surrounding yourself with succesful people is one of the most important things in life everyone should strive for. Somehow I didnt even have to force it.

Now to what they do, unfortunatelly only one of them is self made richy rich. Rest has really wealthy parents. Private clinic, oil distribution, dental clinics, packacging factory. The self made one does building rennovation.
>>
I personally know a guy whose family runs a 3-star hotel, he's kinda dumb and even if he's the heir all the work is done by his two older sisters. He just drives around with his boat, goes to parties and generally gives zero fucks. Fun guy to be around.
>>
>>1161133
Good for you. What business are you in?
>>
>>1161233
Tattoo, piercing and cosmetics distribution
>>
>>1161019
>her family has a butler
My dad was pissed when he found out I had a gardener.
>>
>>1159914
an old co-worker of mine is rich. he is upper middle class. he made his money off of
>gambling
>saves money from driving a POS car
>rents his apartment from his sister for dirt cheap
>his parents cook everyday so he is able to save money by eating from them.

he is also in the process of getting a job as a police mechanic making 40+$ a hour so he is set for life. he is in his early 30's no children or woman to answer too so all of his money is for himself. he takes trips to columbia to visit hookers and party
>>
>>1159914
Everyone ITT is talking about how low-key their rich friends are, which is generally the case with the exception of investment banker types. I have never known a Wall Street millionaire who didn't wear Hermès and drive loud cars. That place really is cancer.

But yeah, I know a guy who made millions on janitorial services, major rural landholders, developers, doctors who own large practices, and Wall Street guys. All but the latter are chill and use their money to do cool stuff that matters to them in their free time.
>>
>>1161446
>use their money to do cool stuff that matters to them in their free time.
I know, right?
All the "Wall Street" guys I know, use their money to buy cats.
Which they then torture to death.
Too bad, really.
>>
>>1161446
Wallstreet guys are literal cancer, a friend of mine visits NY all the time and gets hit on by them constantly. They are the most self centered, they do shit like talk about their superiority for an hour on a date, throw huge bitchfits if a woman stops responding, spam, get butthurt for not being worshipped and are extremely convinced every woman is after their money to the point only a gold digger would put up with their shit-tests. Must be the fact it's a concentration of ivy-league Chad's who all jack off to each other about how amazing they are, but in reality are just autistic and insecure. I've listened probably about a hundred times about their weird autistic antics on dates and etc (her job requires her to interact with them a lot and since she studied econ she tries to network, so she's putting up with their shit)
>>
>>1161456
>but in reality are just autistic and insecure
yeah so what, thats not really a big deal when you make good money.
>>
>>1161469
This is also True, but the point is, Wall Street millionaires are the most obnoxious and act totally different from most millionaires.
>>
>>1161456
I knew a Wall Street guy who dated the girl next door to me.
She told me about how he defecated on their kitchen table, and then tried to sexually assault her little brother with a Mag Lite.
I guess her mom liked him, though.
>>
>>1160266
How did you meet him
>>
I interact with a lot of rich people on a daily basis. I open their fucking car doors for them
>fml
>>
>>1159921
ALL THEIR KIDS ARE COKEHEADS THROUGHOUT HIGHSCHOOL AT THE VERY LEAST

PRIVATE SCHOOL BATHROOMS SEE MORE POWDER THAN ASPEN
>>
My old boss got hooked up with the CFO position by other jews and sits there reading the paper until four when he leaves to bang whores at the strip club. Hes pretty based.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.