[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
would you trust an auto shop where a woman is the receptionist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
would you trust an auto shop where a woman is the receptionist? i think we are losing business because of this,
>>
>>1159298
That depends.

Does she have big tits, pretty face, and dresses to match the establishment?
>>
>>1159298
if she doesn't know about cars and isn't only there to look super hot then no I probably wouldn't
>>
>>1159301
yes to all, she is great, and actually knows what the fuck she is talking about for the most part, but when people call and she answers, they hang up. but she does the fucking books and finances, and i dont want to lose her (i cant do her job, dude), but seems like a lot of people in our area don't take her seriously. they see her and shut down.
>>
>>1159309
and by our area i mean basically little mexico in houston, so it helps especially that she speaks spanish, and i dont. she is white, though
>>
>>1159309
>they call, she answers, they hang up

Are you sure it's not just prank calls, or she has a nasty annoying voice over the phone receiver and they call back hoping to get the mechanics,.. OR does she mess up the opening?

Is it:
>Anons autoshop, how may I help you?
OR
>Hello, Debbie speaking.
>>
>>1159298

i'd feel terrible about it but probably let her go. there's outside factors that you cannot control and have to adapt to in order to stay competitive.
>>
>>1159316
> "shope name here"

nothing else
>>
>>1159316
shop*

>>1159328
uhg dude. thats the goddamn worst. i don't know what id do without her. literally would have to fire her and her train the new guy. its because of her i sit in my office and drink scotch
>>
the problem with a male answering the phone is people think he's a technician. also a man at the front desk is more likely to cause near-fist fights. angry clients don't try to yell at or fight with a pretty woman. if she knows her shit thats gold

>disclosure--work in a large shop 2+ years, none of our four front staff people have ever been male
>>
The last three mechanics I've went to had female front desk, doesn't seem like a problem for them.
>>
If you're really concerned about this, why not simply answer the phone for a bit or have a male employee do this and compare results?

What happens on days she doesn't work?
>>
>>1159339
problem is our shop is tiny, most work is cash under the table. its uh, not exactly the kind of shop you have.

>>1159361
she is here 6 days a week, never late, never calls in. i occasionally answer the phone, but everyone knows me.
>>
>>1159366
Honestly, I'd try to have a comparison before firing her, or "promote her" to a behind the counter job.

I used to work in a formal suit shop, and as a man, even when I showed up half stoned and disheveled people would trust me more than my female coworkers because suits were a manly thing.

So, don't underestimate it, but try to make sure you have the right cause before you roll heads.
>>
>>1159366
and you honestly think youre losing business because she's a woman?

idk like does your brain work properly? there are tons of other factors that are likely the reason behind whatever you think is happening
>>
>>1159373
i dont know. i can't figure it out.nothings changed except her.
>>
>>1159298

Many auto shops have a female rep up front.

I see no reason this would negatively effect business.

Do you do good work?
Are you fair in your pricing?
Are you nice and pleasant with customers?

If the answer to all 3 is yes, then you probably just need more advertising, and marketing.

A business cannot survive without continually spreading the word.

Planet earth is WELL aware that CocaCola exists. Yet CocaCola probably spends a billion a year on advertising. Why do you think that is?
>>
>>1159309

Does she answer with "Hi thank you for calling ________ how can I help you?"

That's pretty much the gold standard of picking up the phone at a business.
>>
>>1159333
>>1159328
>>1159366
>>1159384

It's not her then Anon, start looking for a different reason.

Just because it's a phone call ending abruptly doesn't mean she's not doing good.
It could be prank calls, it could be wrong numbers (especially if it's when she's part ways through her spiel), it could be shitty telecom infrastructure.

Unless you have customers raising a fuss about her in person? With a legitimate complaint?
>>
>>1159366
you sound just like a shop i used to go to. the fat owner used to answer the phone himself and be able to shoot the shit about whatever problem i had. then he hired a front desk lady.
all she's interested in is getting me on the schedule.
there's something missing now. the fat mechanic guy really wanted to figure out the problem. the lady just wants me on the schedule.
i had to find a new mechanic.
>>
>>1160090
>>1159384

also, i use and recommend a muffler shop where the receptionist is a lady. she knows her shit. it's obvious that she likes cars and bikes and knows what she's talking about. just like that fat old mechanic, she'll talk about your specific problem, make a few intelligent suggestions or at least give the impression of "hey, we see that all the time!" while recommending that her mechanic gives it a look.

i recommend that muffler shop just because of her. fwiw, i don't really remember if she's a good-looking lady or not. i just remember that she exuded competence without condescension.
>>
I think giving a guy the phones for a week would be an interesting experiment to see if your theory is correct.
>>
File: IMG_3788.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3788.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I love my autoshop and the owner has his daughter working front desk. she always knows which car is mine and offers me coffee. It contributes to the honest homely atmosphere there and that's why I like it. The owner is a total bro. Straight up told me that I should sell my last car instead of putting money into it. Money he would get for repairs. Very honest and cool. Came and towed my car once for free because one of his employees screwed something up
>>
Even being sexist doesn't really stop people from using your shop.

Front desk/reception is a female dominated field. The sexist guys are just going to tell her to let them talk to one of the men.

The garage I use has a woman receptionist, middle aged woman, pretty sure shes the owner's wife. Her go to response (I assume from dealing with old sexist guys) is "I'm not sure, let me put one of the boys on".

When I was in college, I worked a summer at Home Depot in the garden area. I always got old dudes who would ask me specific shit about plants. I was going to school for physics and got the job because I needed to pay rent, so I always directed them to a girl who worked there who was doing her masters in botany. Old guys would refuse to ask her questions which just blew my mind.

She had worked in a greenhouse since highschool, had a bachelors in biology, and was working on a masters in botany, not to mention flowers are generally considered "girly"; yet they would refuse to ask her for help.
>>
>>1159298
that would in no way affect the choice

the attitude, level of knowledge, personality, tone, and helpfulness of the person would however
>>
>>1159311
yeah, you need a guy. the one place in htown that i knew that was run by a woman almost ended up getting shut down.

im guessing you're near telephone
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.