[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting Good Credit Card with No Credit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: zozz.jpg (12 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
zozz.jpg
12 KB, 300x200
Alright here's the scenario
>you have zero credit
>bank is offering a shitty secured card but also good ones, with cashback
>you have $70k sitting in accounts with them (hush)
>they get your paystubs so they see your income

is it even possible to convince the bank to skip over the secured shit and just give me the good card? I REALLY don't want to go through that shit
>>
>>1159215
Rent, Car loan or mortgage count for your credit report.
>>
>>1159219
rent does not count unless you fuck up
I have multiple years of good rental history
car loan at zero credit score would be a horrendous rate
>>
Try Discover. I was in your situation, good job, lot's of cash, no credit history.

Applied for like four cards and got rejected to all of them, until Discover sent me something in the mail and accepted me right away. Now I get credit card apps every week with people begging me to take a card and into the trash they go.
>>
>>1159221
Welp. Buy a new car with a loan pay it back in two months :^)
>>
>>1159215
Discover is pretty good. I got a $750 line as a student with no income or credit history.
>>
>>1159227
i permanently removed myself from credit solicitations because all the offers i was getting were credit one garbage

>>1159231
but that wont be long enough to generate a good score would it?
>>
Rule 1: Never ever get a credit card.

Debit only!!! Even if that means that you have to live on water and soup for a month, never EVER take up a credit card!
>>
>>1159242
>I like to throw away at least 2% of every purchase I make
>>
>>1159241
I don't know try calling them up first if your bank won't go for it.
>>
>>1159215
>is it even possible to convince the bank to skip over the secured shit and just give me the good card? I REALLY don't want to go through that shit

A store might give your one of their cards which are OK. Interest does not matter if you pay it off in full each month.

Otherwise go the secured route. $500 down for a $500 limit is chump change with 70k in the bank. Keep it for a year and get a card with cash back.

When I got my first card 18 months ago I had OK credit from 3 years of on time student loan payments. Still had to go secured because of the lack of history with revolving accounts. Credit score is over 700 now and I have an unsecured card with cash back.

>>1159242
>use debit card at shady place
>info gets stolen
>you get cleaned out by some African guy
>bank won't do shit because it is not their money
>cops won't do shit because Africa
>>
>>1159242
i had this attitude
but a debit card is STILL a Visa or whatever
plus you dont get a line of credit or 0 apr deals or cashback
>>
>>1159242
Don't listen to this person. It's dumb (1) not to build your credit and (2) not to get the perks of running your charges through a credit card perks system. Just don't be a dumbass and rack up charges that you can't pay for. Always maintain a zero balance.

Just get a starter card with a small credit line, charge at least $50/mo. to it, and pay it off.
>>
>>1159245

care to explain? i have to add that i know nothing about credit cards. have yet to get me one but have no particular reason for not having done so yet.
>>
>>1159262
>Just get a starter card with a small credit line, charge at least $50/mo. to it, and pay it off.
the point of this thread is that i dont want to do that, that i want to circumvent this bullshit and build my credit on a decent card
>>
>>1159269
You might get a better response actually going in person to explain your situation instead of applying online and getting rejected by an automated algorithm.
>>
>>1159215
get the secured card and you will get an offer for a real card literally the next day, then just wait 1 year to close the secured card
>>
>>1159242
you're retarded, it's all about discipline you autist
>>
>>1159320
also protip when you get your real card, don't charge everything to it. use 30% of your total available credit and pay it off in full every month, this will build your credit the fastest
>>
>>1159294
well I'm asking on here if there's even a possibility of that working or if I'm just wasting my time and embarrassing myself by trying to walk in there and act like I know how this works
>>
>>1159475
you don't know how this works that's the point.

just blow the best-dressed banker you see, that's guaranteed to work
>>
>>1159265
Not him, but there are two things he's referring to.
1) Many (good) credit cards offer rewards/cashback programs, where you get x% of your purchases paid back each month as an incentive to use the card. Or if not cash, you can get frequent flyer miles, retailer points, etc.

2) Since you don't have to pay anything for 20 to 50 days (interest-free), you can keep your money in a savings account to earn some interest. (Not that you'll get 2% from a simple savings account, but you get the idea.)

There are other benefits too. The big one is security. If your debit card is stolen and you get charged {currency}500, that 500 is gone from your bank account immediately. You can appeal it, of course, but since it's *your* money your bank has little incentive to care very much, and they definitely don't have an incentive to hurry.

With a credit card, it's the bank's money and they'll care very much. You aren't out the money and can just wait on the chargeback process to go through.

I'd recommend getting a credit card unless
1) You're too stupid to read and understand the terms and conditions
or
2) You're too stupid or weak-willed to budget correctly and only spend what you can actually pay
>>
>>1159242
Everytime you make a debit purchased you're charged. Why would you pay to spend your money when you can put everything on your credit card and pay it at the end of the month? Credit doesn't charge you for using it as long as you pay before the end of the month
>>
>>1159221

You dont have a zero credit score you have zero credit history. Your credit score is likely high 600s
>>
>>1160002
>Everytime you make a debit purchased you're charged
This is not true at all! At least not here in the UK. Do US banks seriously charge for every debit purchase?

Of course I'd still strongly advise to pay with a credit card, for these reasons >>1159987
>>
File: image_10.jpg (62 KB, 625x415) Image search: [Google]
image_10.jpg
62 KB, 625x415
>>1159242
>a pleb with no self control
>not getting a credit limit equal to your monthly expenses
>not running all transactions through the card to collect rewards points
>not instantly paying it off to avoid the interest
It's like you hate free money.
>>
>>1160005
credit karma says no score but verizon said high 600s for their proprietary score

in that case im just gonna try and apply for some 2% cash back card
>>
>>1159262
yup

debit cards do absolutely nothing to help; you NEED a credit history

>>1160011
no, that is not accurate
>>
>>1159219
>rent
No
>>
>>1160061
This nigger gets it

The fool he quoted is giving out Poorfagging advice.
>>
>>1160011
They do. They also charge you for:
> Having an account
> Closing an account
> Using a cash machine

Land of the free is more like land of the fee.
>>
>>1160400
>get two credit cards
>all expenses on the first card
>buy visa gift cards on the second
>sell the Giftcards to others for cash that the deposit and use to pay off the second card
>cuck the rewards system
If only I could pay off credit cards with credit cards for a 20 card long line of rewards from the same expense....
>>
>>1160011
They don't charge for that, don't know what kind of shitty card that guy has
>>
>>1160411
People do this, there are detailed Web communities. They call it " manufactured spending. Personally, I find the process a little offputting. Their forums take autism to new levels.

In short, the CC company is trying to keep you from doing it.

The bank doesn't care about thr CC, but want to keep you from money laundering

The gift card issuers are also under money laundering pressure so hand a ton of weird rules

Money order issuers ( thats how alot of these folks do it) have their own complex rules.

So you have to navigate 3 or 4 different sets of complicated and unpublished rules, largely by trial and error, and fuck ups can result in your credit card getting frozen or revoked or getting hassled by your bank for weird cash or MO deposits.

I just run my bills though the rewards card and call it good.
>>
>>1160011
Banks here will do it but only after the 26th debit in a month
>>
It's surprising what kinds of cards you can get when you have a job and income, I got the Starwood card while I was just an intern at a fortune 500 company (not my first card, but only like 9 months of cc history).

I'd say try with the smaller banks like Discover and Chase, then move up to the big boys that use Visa
>>
>>1159252

>using your debit card at a shady place
>using your credit card at a shady place
>being in a shady place
>>
>>1160903
I hear Discover tries to prevent you from paying on time

then on here I hear they're easy

sort of falls in line with what I heard previously
>>
>>1159242
>got shit $500 credit card years ago
>buy everything with it
>pay it off same month so no interest
>bank upgraded it to visa signature $9k limit
>over 700 credit score
>can get home loan under 3% interest/no money down
>security clearances no problem
>approved for anything and everything if I want it
>$300 reward money deposited into my account every year
I'm glad I didn't listen to those retards who told me to never EVER take up a credit card.
>>
>>1161265
I've never had any problems with their autopay system.
>>
>>1161322
It really is easy, just paying on time or even early to save you money on all your purchases and in the future for mortgages.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.